• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Radiator question

Tequila

I apologize this may not pertain specifically to California Specials but interested in some feedback. I have a GT/CS and trying to keep as much stock as possible. My car has factory AC and purchased a larger stock looking radiator for better cooling, but unfortunately the core support mounting holes do not line up. We will have to fabricate a bracket and also repaint the radiator.

I found a larger capacity 22" aluminum radiator whose measurements line up perfectly with the holes but I am not too thrilled about installing an aluminum radiator. My reluctance is primarily due to aesthetics and deviating from stock looking radiator. I understand it is primarily a personal preference but would putting in an aluminum radiator hurt the value of the car?

Any thoughts? Is there a different core support for the factory AC cars with larger engines? Thank you.

franklinair

Core supports are all the same.
Non A/C cars use a 20" wide radiator with a 2" spacer on each side.
A/C cars use a 24" radiator (with upper & lower mounting brackets) for additional cooling capacity.
I had the radiator core replaced on my Highland Green CS and they reused the original frame and upper & lower tanks.
Without seeing your car, I would guess that it had the wrong radiator installed.
The 24" A/C radiators are secured by the upper & lower brackets - NOT the core support.
If you ordered and received the correct radiator it should be a direct bolt-on with the correct brackets.
I don't care for the new aftermarket aluminum radiators for aesthetic reasons, even though they can be painted black.
Note the upper radiator bracket in the photo.

Neil

Attachments

• 006 (3).jpg
    006 (3).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
T

Tequila

Neil, I appreciate the info. Very helpful. Thank you.

Can you share where I can buy those upper and lower brackets from? I searched both NPD and CJ and couldnt find those brackets that matched your picture. If I could buy those brackets I can use the aftermarket 24" radiator that I purchased already. My original was probably replaced out later on. Marti report confirms that my car was a factory AC car.

Thanks again....

franklinair

NPD: Upper Bracket P/N 8A193-1B, $28.50, Insulator P/N 8124-1B, $11.95
Lower Brackets P/N 8052-1B, $24.95, Lower Insulators P/N 8125-1B, $9.95 (Check to see if originals are still there.)
Fan Shroud (24") P/N 8146, $65.95
Since your car was originally A/C, the bolt holes for the lower brackets should already be there.

Neil

OP
OP
T

Tequila

wow.. Thank you Neil. It was very kind of you to get the PN's and everything. I truly appreciate it. Reggi.

hatchdog

Reggi,

I have Neil's former CS in my garage. If you need any more pics of the radiator mounts let me know and I will take and post them.

Mike

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Reggi,

I have Neil's former CS in my garage. If you need any more pics of the radiator mounts let me know and I will take and post them.

Mike

Mike,
Congratulations on finally receiving Neil's CS. Beautiful car!!! I would love to see it, especially if you ever decide to drive it across to the other side of the state.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it once I get closer having the engine installed.

franklinair

Reggi;
If you're lucky, the PO may have left the lower brackets in place. If that's the case you'd only have to order the rubber cushions for them. (You'll still need the upper bracket & rubber cushion.)

Neil

OP
OP
T

Tequila

hello again,
We got the radiator mounting figured out and upper mounting brackets ordered. Thanks Neil and Mike for the helpful information.

I am trying to figure out how to mount the AC Condenser. I had classic air rebuild my original AC system but had to purchase a new condenser and dryer. I saw on their site that it maybe mounted using some sort of upper and lower brackets. If you have any pictures or info on how to mount that would be awesome. Also, if you could take a look at the attached radiator support picture and see if I have all the holes required to mount the condenser the bracket and dryer?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 37

Ruppstang

You have all of the necessary holes, the brackets are on the condenser core. Three of the fasteners are hex head metal screws and the forth is the LH horn bolt. The dryer mounts to the condenser core frame on the LH side with screws.
BTW AC requires a different LH horn that fits on the upper LH condenser bracket.

rvrtrash

Maybe this will help some. It's from my old car.

Steve

Attachments

• DSCF2306.jpg
    DSCF2306.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 42