• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Why not just LED bulbs?

BroadwayBlue

I was wondering something the other day.

If you want to add LED lights to your car and you don't care if they're sequential.

Why, on our cars would you buy the whole setup from Mustang Project or similar companies and not just get LED bulbs to swap out?

kits: http://tinyurl.com/3y89dq

bulbs: http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

It seems everyone gets the kits even if they are going non-sequential. Or am I wrong in that assumption?
My only thought is that the LEDs are too much of a "point of light" as opposed to filling the whole lens.

As long as we're on the subject, has anyone used the LED light for their front turn signals or backup lights? I see them listed on the Mustang Project site.

Thanks!

69convert

I have added the other lights from mustang project. Definitely can see the difference. Since I would have for someone to crunch my car the extra cost was worth it to me.

Mosesatm

I was wondering something the other day.

If you want to add LED lights to your car and you don't care if they're sequential.

Why, on our cars would you buy the whole setup from Mustang Project or similar companies and not just get LED bulbs to swap out?

kits: http://tinyurl.com/3y89dq

bulbs: http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

It seems everyone gets the kits even if they are going non-sequential. Or am I wrong in that assumption?
My only thought is that the LEDs are too much of a "point of light" as opposed to filling the whole lens.

As long as we're on the subject, has anyone used the LED light for their front turn signals or backup lights? I see them listed on the Mustang Project site.

Thanks!

Rich, I think Mustang Project was the only game in town for quite a while.

These superbrights certainly seem to be the way to go. We can even choose white or red and from 12 to 30 LEDs. 6 lights with 30 LEDs each should get someone's attention!

franklinair

Where do you order the red 30's LED's? Will they work OK with the stock Mustang flasher unit, or do you need another type? I like the idea of brighter lights for the visibility.

Mosesatm

Where do you order the red 30's LED's? Will they work OK with the stock Mustang flasher unit, or do you need another type? I like the idea of brighter lights for the visibility.

This is from their web-site

Turn signal issues with LED bulbs
LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.

We offer some LED Flashers in our Tail/Brake Turn Signal Bulb category but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.

Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.

tworings

We chose to use the Mustang Project LED sequential light parts because our original sockets were corroded and needed to be replaced anyway (so we couldn't have simply plugged in LED lights into existing sockets)

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

This is from their web-site

Turn signal issues with LED bulbs
LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. These installations will require an electronic flasher unit,....

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this arena ...

Would we have an issue or is it a trial and error thing and for that matter, is Arlie volunteering to be our guinea pig? :grin:

Last edited:

Redwingrobb

OINK, OINK, I'm the guinea pig....

I just went to Auto Zone and purchased the LEDs and installed them in the car. I bought the Super Bright Red 1157R manufactured by Jamstrait (jamstrait.com). 200 percent better than the old lights!! I replaced the right side and compared it to the left side--not even close. I was really worried about getting rear-ended, but now feel more comfortable with these. Based on an earlier post, they do give you more of that "point of light" look instead of filling up the back lens, but personally I feel that the intensity of the LEDs more than makes up for this. Now I got only the 12 LEDs, and getting 19 or 30 with the LEDs angled would probably make a bigger differnce. When I researched I thought that I might have to add the load equalizers. I even just put in one bulb to see if going off of the "blown bulb" theory, it would work and it did. I still like the idea of sequentials and may get some in the future, but for about 40.00, I'm happy. Hope this helps.
...and I was tired of replacing the light switch due to all the juice the lights were pulling...
Robb

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Thanks for the update Robb!

The Super Led site seemed to reference wide and narrow angle LEDs - I wonder if the wide helps the point of light and fills the lens more.

I'm going to wait and hear about Arlie's experience and look into them. Thanks for the Autozone tip too.

Redwingrobb

I took the car out last night for a drive and to see how much of a difference it made and to see if I was going to experience the lights fading in and out due to the problems I've been having with too much power being pulled by my lights. Ran her around town and she looked great all lit up.. Literally like night and day. I will slightly amend my last post though. During the day, the lights look a bit "narrow" in view, but at night, they are more than adequate (TONS better than the incandescant). Like I said, I got the 12 LEDs, and those are bright enough. I personally wouldn't go too much past the 19 LEDs. I think the 30 LED set would make your car look like the UFO in Close Encounters...

Mosesatm

To replace our 1157 taillight bulbs are we supposed to use red or white LEDs with our red lenses?