• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted: J-code 302ci Engine

classicsguy

Looking for a correct J code engine for my project GT/CS preferably complete and does not matter if in need of rebuilt.If any one has any leads please let me know.
Thanks

franklinair

Where are you located? I'm in NC and have an o'hauled 302 I don't need. Shipping/logistics could be a problem.

Neil

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Where are you located? I'm in NC and have an o'hauled 302 I don't need. Shipping/logistics could be a problem.

Neil

Thanks Neil: The car is in Florida now.Does the 302 belong to a 1968 Mustang? Is it a J-code? Thanks

franklinair

It's a 302 with an Edelbrock 4V intake manifold. The 'J' code is the designation for how the car is equipped (in the VIN). There is no 'J' designation on the engine itself. I purchased the engine from AUTO ZONE, and the intake from SUMMIT. But then I sold the car sans engine, and now I have a beautiful big blue (painted correct FORD Blue) dust collector!!

Neil

franklinair

I'm going to do a compression check & S/N verification on the 302 in my '68 convert. If I decide to use my o'hauled engine instead, would you be interested in the one currently in the car? It runs fine, and I'm not going to use the original carb regardless. I prefer the Edelbrock 4V. I'v got to pull the engine anyway in order to sanitize the engine bay. (Is there a market/demand for the original 4V carbs? It still has the tag on it.)

Neil

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

I'm going to do a compression check & S/N verification on the 302 in my '68 convert. If I decide to use my o'hauled engine instead, would you be interested in the one currently in the car? It runs fine, and I'm not going to use the original carb regardless. I prefer the Edelbrock 4V. I'v got to pull the engine anyway in order to sanitize the engine bay. (Is there a market/demand for the original 4V carbs? It still has the tag on it.)

Neil

Neil: Yes I would be interested in the 302...Is it a J -code 302 4v? What is the date code on the engine?

franklinair

OK, I just checked the numbers.
The car's VIN=8F03J203275. The engine S/N=203275 so its a safe assumption that this is the original J code engine that came with the car originally. My personal Mustang Guru told me DO NOT sacrifice the matching # engine for this car, soooo, I'm going to hang on to it. But I still have the O/H'd engine if you want it.

Neil

Last edited: