• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Casey's GT/CS For Sale

case12

1968 Mustang GT/CS California Special
VIN 8R01C142473
Sunlit Gold

Well, the time has finally come for me to move on from my GT/CS. I have too many cars and one has to go to make room. I know it may be a shock to everyone, but sometimes in life it’s just time to move on. This is hard - so, I hope I don't change my mind :smile:.

So I am selling my 1968 GT/CS California Special and related collection for $22,000. A very reasonable price for this nice car. I have invested more than this into it AFTER the original purchase price when it was already in excellent condition. It is an excellent condition driver, but not yet concours.

Here is the run down:

-Sunlit Gold, Parchment Original Interior, Black Carpet
-347 stroker (300HP, 411 ft/lb torque) – painted and looks like stock 289/302 for MCA shows – less than 1000 miles new
-Edlebrock Performance Intake and 4V with electric choke
-2200 stall converter, trans cooler, 3.83 rear end, c4 automatic with shift kit
-PS, converted front disc brakes, rear drums
-Entire engine bay detailed for stock MCA judging (you can eat off this clean engine)
-Cobra Dress Kit – all brushed aluminum and period correct. (oval cleaner, valve covers and oil pan)
-Mild Comp Cam and Keith Black pistons
-Coil over rear shocks
-Original Cobra wood shift handle added
-Deluxe Upper and Lower Consoles
-Sequential LED Tail Lights
-Rear Window Defroster
-Lucas lights and two sets of vintage Lucas covers
-Excellent paint job – very few flaws – deep clear coat shine. Not perfect, but excellent.
-Comes with Paul Newitt ’89 and ’96 registry, plus collection of numerous original GT/CS debut articles from magazines like Motor Trend and Hot Rod 1968.
-GT chrome rally wheels, including spare.
-Added GT dual quad exhaust and valance – Magnaflow mufflers and nickel ceramic coated JBA shorty headers.
-Mini-tach installed in-dash – where blank for clock would be
-Keyless entry with remote (power door locks)
-Viper Alarm System with same remote
-Pioneer Super Tuner III CD player stereo system with graphics display and removable head
-Visor signed by Carroll Shelby. Dash Signed by Lee Iacocca and Lee Grey. All fathers of the GT/CS
-Spent rust-free entire life in Pasadena, CA until purchased by me in 2005. Numerous receipts collected from previous owners.
-Original Warranty Cards, Manual, Warranty Book, and Build Sheet – Original owner was Noreen B. Smith of Pasadena, CA, bought at Pasadena Ford.
-Box of extra parts – hood pins, tail lights, etc.
-Full Elite Marti Report included – here is info as originally ordered
Model: 1968 GT/CS
Engine: 289-2V (C Code)
Color: Y - Sunlit Gold
Interior: Parchment - Standard
DSO: 71 - Los Angeles
Axle: 2.79 Standard Axle Ratio
Trans: W - C-4 Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic
Dealer: Pasadena Motors - Pasadena, CA
Built: Feb 21, 1968

The car is total stock looking, but with the addition of great power. It has been featured and won numerous awards:

1. Cover and feature article in Mustang Times 2006 (link to thread http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2652&highlight=mustang+times)
2. First Place Mustang Regional Northern Illinois 2007
3. Barrington Concours deElegance 2008 (chosen as one of the world’s 100 most rare cars)
4. Legendary Fords Magazine 2009
5. Cover of CaliforniaSpecial.com Calendar 2009.
6. Commissioned in Rat Fink Original Artwork in 2009 - prints still for sale – by Johnny Ace, formerly of Ed Roth Studios. (www.acekustoms.com)

If you are looking for the excellent “California Special”, with history, pedigree, original documentation, vintage literature and with a stock look, but wicked power – this is it. I am very critical of my cars, so I classify this one as an excellent driver, with period correct additions to give it the power edge to go with the looks.

The price is set to sell it quickly to the right buyer who wants a top notch GT/CS and loves the pedigree and history that comes with it. This is a car that you will be proud of!

I will start by putting it on the block on this site, and then eventually take it to ebay. Please PM me with serious inquiries.

Sold “As Is” (no car is perfect :smile:). Hurry before I change my mind :undecided.

Casey

Attachments

• MT_Front_2.jpg
    MT_Front_2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 139
  • GTCS_Interior.jpg
    GTCS_Interior.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 178
  • GTCS_MT_1.jpg
    GTCS_MT_1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 154
  • gt2.jpg
    gt2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 347c.jpg
    347c.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 177
  • mustedit.jpg
    mustedit.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

Wow Casey! It does come as a shock but everyone needs to do what is right for them.

Hopefully you'll still be hanging around the site!

Sounds like a great price for what you're offering.

Best of luck on the sale!!!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
:eek: :icon_pani "Shock" may be too subtle a word.

Good luck on the sale. It really is an amazing car. As Rich said hopefully you won't leave us in the dust just because you don't own a CS anymore. :smile:

Midnight Special

...Casey, if I had room - we'd already be on the phone, but I'm in the same "place"...

I don't see your car lingering in classifieds very long... I know you thought this through and I wish you all the best on new horizons! Please do stick around here though!!!

mustang.biz

Casey, good luck on selling this car, I have no doubt it will find a new home soon.

I'm curious, what magazines do you have and what months? I'd like to start a similar collection!

tclark

Gt/cs

Hi Casey, Looks like a nice car.
Could I get an email or #.
Thanks
Tom

hotrodgrany

This would look so great in my garage with my new generation CS and wished I could get it here. Would be so nise to own it, right, Rhonda, as you know how I would love one.

Mustanglvr

This would look so great in my garage with my new generation CS and wished I could get it here. Would be so nise to own it, right, Rhonda, as you know how I would love one.

Chicago is somewhat close to you Kathy. It would be a short drive to retrieve it or to have it shipped. This would be the car for you to get, if you're going to get a 68. It has quite a pedigree. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
case12

case12

The GT/CS is pending sale. Will provide more information as the transaction completes. Thanks, Casey

di81977

Congratulations on the sale. Why did you decide to sell the California Special vs the 66Convertible?

Thanks again for all you have done over the years.

david

OP
OP
case12

case12

Congratulations on the sale. Why did you decide to sell the California Special vs the 66Convertible?

Thanks again for all you have done over the years.

david

Hi David. I may sell the 66 convertible too. It just got to a point where I needed the space and had to decide on one or the other to start with. My wife is a big fan of the convertible. Also, I knew the GT/CS would get the attention it deserves from someone on this site. Lastly, I have two kids in college and a third starting next year - priorities changing in life. (plus I have two more little guys not yet in high school). I hope that helps explain some of my thinking on why I decided to sell - it was a mixture of things in life. It definitely hurts to sell something so much a part of my life for the last 6 years....I hope to stay part of the "family" here. Thanks! Casey

OP
OP
case12

case12

Well, she is off to her new home in Tennessee. She was loaded on the transport yesterday. I will let the new owner introduce himself. This is his second sunlit gold gt/cs. Thanks, Casey

Attachments

• gtcs5.jpg
    gtcs5.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 58

tclark

My GT/CS arrived Tuesday, was snowing so it went into garage. Can't wait to drive it.
Buying a car without looking at it was hard, but thanks to people like Casey
who describe everything right, sure made the transaction pleasant.
I've owned a Sunlit Gold GT/CS back in the early 90's, when I saw this one it was time for me to own one again. Going to have fun with it.
Thanks again Casey.
Tom

PFSlim

I can tell you it is a very hard moment. Casey - I just caught up with this thread. I am in shock. That was one "cool" car.

I hope you stay around as well. You have been a great help to a lot of folks on this site - myself included.

Welcome to the site Tom!!

Paul