• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tall people beware!!

mbsf1970

just got dropped off at Airport by Arlie. He graciously let me drive his car to the airport and I quickly discovered that at 6'3" it looked like I was giving birth to a steering wheel!
between the three pedals, my long legs and size 12 feet, I should have sat in the back......sorry about that grind Arlie.....I physically had trouble downshifting to 2nd!! It was a treat to drive car and see all the things that differed between our cars.

Stephen

robert campbell

Stephen,
At 5' 10 inches with size 10 and 1/2 feet it was easy to adjust and drive. Can't remember if it had an aftermarket seat? They do make a "seat lowering" pan that you cut your current seat support off and install this one that will lower any and all seats in first gen Mustangs. I wonder if Arlie's seat will go all the way back? Usually 6 foot 3 guys can get them back far enough.

So Steve and Arlie have your car? I bet you will be amazed at what they find and recommend. I bet it has a simple leak or tow that are cheap and easy fixes and that your engine will go a lot longer before any rebuild is needed. And do not worry about engine sleaving and such. The 302/289 block is very durable and unless it has been rebuilt numerous times (doubtful) it will be just fine to rebuild when that time comes.

Be more worried about brake hoses, power steering hoses, gas lines and coolant lines. Fan belts and such.

And yes, these old cars and engines weep a bit. Not to worry.

Rob

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Rob,
The car is in excellent hands..as it would have been in WA. :wink:

I should have clarified that I didn't fit because on one side was the shifter and the other the clutch pedal. I usually have both my legs on a slant anyway but the proximity of both those obstacles gave me problems. I went to shift into second and rammed shifter into thigh which couldn't move because of steering wheel. distance from pedals was ok as was height.....

I 'll wait till early next week to hear what doctors have to say.....if its not a rebuild then that frees up $$ for other things that need doing!

It was a pleasure to meet Steve's wife Deb. She showed me the Shelby in garage number 1! I'm so thankful that Steve sold his car and thus had room to take in a run down 289!! :cheesy:

somethingspecial

Tilt steering column should do.

I am 6'04" and can not drive a standard Trans very well with a stock steering column and wheel. I found the Tilt Away steering column one click up from center is all that was needed to drive the car without any trouble. Size 15 feet as well. Mike

Midnight Special

just got dropped off at Airport by Arlie. He graciously let me drive his car to the airport and I quickly discovered that at 6'3" it looked like I was giving birth to a steering wheel!
between the three pedals, my long legs and size 12 feet, I should have sat in the back......sorry about that grind Arlie.....I physically had trouble downshifting to 2nd!! It was a treat to drive car and see all the things that differed between our cars.

Stephen

...This is why my 6'6" brother never drove with us... I would've needed "Fred Flintstone" brakes and an "Adam's Family" (Lurch) sunroof... ;-)