• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Mecum Auction Results

Nathan

Thought you all would be interested in the results from the Mecum Auction in Kissimmee, FL this weekend. Only one 68 CS was entered and it went up on the block yesterday. It sold for $29,500. No photos were posted but here is the description from the Mecum site:

- 302/250 HP engine
- Automatic transmission
- Fog lights
- AM/FM stereo with CD player
- Rosewood steering wheel
- Magnum 500 wheels
- This is the coolest Mustang on the Block

Wish I could have made it over to the auction to get more info on the car and take some pics. I'm surprised to see a 302 go for close to 30K, especially these days!

Nathan

Midnight Special

Well, it's encouraging if nothing else. I wonder now if we're going to see anther run of $20K fixer-uppers take residence on Ebay & craigslist.....

P.S. 'Just read that it was a cloned convertible? 'Wonder if the buyer knows that...

gofastguy

While I generally have no use for clones, for some strange reason I kind of like it...and I respect the seller for openly stating it to be a clone.

Midnight Special

While I generally have no use for clones, for some strange reason I kind of like it...and I respect the seller for openly stating it to be a clone.

...Although this car is a far cry from a replicated "real" - the seller does pay quite a tribute to the GT/CS before stating it's a clone. I think that's why I like the ad, but as far as clones go - If I were to "mod" a convertible or fastback, I think I would do it closer to a Shelby. This particular car seems less appealing (to me) with GT/CS stripes and scripts...

Mosesatm

Completely agree.

Fake CS convertibles just don't look right to me, which seems strange because I drool over '68 Shelby convertibles. Highland Green of course. :wink:

The problem certainly does seem to be the side stripes. Without the roof the stripes look too high and they make the car look tall and clunky.

di81977

There is a guy out here in Colorado (owns a mustang parts store) that built a CS tribute fastback and convertible. Saw them at a car show a couple years ago, should have taken pictures. I thought they looked pretty good.

david

Midnight Special

There is a guy out here in Colorado (owns a mustang parts store) that built a CS tribute fastback and convertible. Saw them at a car show a couple years ago, should have taken pictures. I thought they looked pretty good.

david

....True, but wouldn't it seem ackward to explain what a GT/CS was while standing next to one of these 'verts & FBs? ...Or when somebody compliments your GT/CS convertible - do you simply say "thanks" & let it go? Silly stuff, I know...
;-)

hookedtrout

It is interesting how things are what they are, to a die hard purist it (clone) isn't real, yet it's right there in front of you tangible and with most of the right parts it's no different than the original physically. You can touch it, it is real, it is what it is and to some it will be beautiful and to others it will be a sin and yet to others they won't even know what it's meant to be, they just see it and either like it or don't.

To me the sin is when someone tries to make $$ by misrepresenting it's history as something it didn't start out as, to someone that is looking for true originality. But in reality, if it's done right it's really the same thing without a piece of paper saying so. I guess it's a mix of perception and interpretation and knowing what you want and what you get. Some will care and some won't that's why it is what it is...physically. I know... that made no sense at all.

The interesting thing to me is before the WWW existed there wasn't enough exposure for most people to even know that a GT/CS existed and now there is enough information if people are really trying to find something and they know what they are looking for they can find it and they can pin down if it is real or not because of this great group helping out.

Midnight Special

It is interesting how things are what they are,

To me the sin is when someone tries to make $$ by misrepresenting it's history as something it didn't start out as, to someone that is looking for true originality......

The interesting thing to me is before the WWW existed there wasn't enough exposure for most people to even know that a GT/CS existed and now there is enough information if people are really trying to find something and they know what they are looking for they can find it and they can pin down if it is real or not because of this great group helping out.

So true!
A few years back there was a guy here in town who showed and proudly bragged of his GT/CS. We took him at his word for years until coming here to learn that a car with a "Dearborn" VIN could not be a real CS. Niether Mike J. or I had the heart to tell him, but I'm sure he knows by now. 'Haven't see him for at least two years...

somethingspecial

So true!
A few years back there was a guy here in town who showed and proudly bragged of his GT/CS. We took him at his word for years until coming here to learn that a car with a "Dearborn" VIN could not be a real CS. Niether Mike J. or I had the heart to tell him, but I'm sure he knows by now. 'Haven't see him for at least two years...

I'm not sure it was a matter of heart, I think it was a matter of guts. I was afraid he would rip my arms off and beat me to death with them. The guy looked like Hulk Hogan. LOL

Mustanglvr

I'm not sure it was a matter of heart, I think it was a matter of guts. I was afraid he would rip my arms off and beat me to death with them. The guy looked like Hulk Hogan. LOL

lol :rofl:

Gregpet

I wonder if he'll throw in the stick to hold up the trunk lid? :tongue:

Attachments

• 424902_2258577778030_Original.jpg
    424902_2258577778030_Original.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 53