• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 4300 Float

robert campbell

All,
I am on a hard target search for a brass float for a 4300. They used to be available over the counter, but I cannot find one anymore. Or for that fact, a new styrofoam float.

If anyone has a core 4300, please take the top off. If it has a used brass float I will buy it. I have good luck with these carbs, but the key is a good float. If you have more than one, I will buy all you have.

Rob

murf104

Rob, you have a difficult task ahead. I searched for one within the past year and finally located a float (used) and it got me out of trouble. It was the foam type, never did get a line on a brass float. Sportyworty who lurks on this forum had at that time a partial - as I remember - 4300 with a float. Look him up and he may be able to help you. By the time he contacted me I had already purchased one from someone on the East coast. Hope this helps you. Murf

franklinair

I THINK I have what you want. The brass tag sez:C7DF D. Smaller numbers B 6MD. It has the plastic float.

Neil (aka Dad)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Rob, you have a difficult task ahead. I searched for one within the past year and finally located a float (used) and it got me out of trouble. It was the foam type, never did get a line on a brass float. Sportyworty who lurks on this forum had at that time a partial - as I remember - 4300 with a float. Look him up and he may be able to help you. By the time he contacted me I had already purchased one from someone on the East coast. Hope this helps you. Murf

I just took this one out of 1971 era 4300. It looks ok, but it is impossible to tell. I weighed it on Val's postage scale and it is 0.6 or an ounce. It will be interesting to immerse this one in gas and see if it gets heavier after a couple weeks. I may try that. Neil is ending me his. I can put both of them in gas and for a taste test....... I mean weight test before and after. The one I have has not been in gas for a long time. Wonder if there is a spray coating that one can seal them with that is impervious to gas?

Rob

DSCN1162.jpg

DSCN1163.jpg

teamlo

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Terry,
Patience and a good float. I have a 1968 J code fastback in my area. I was able to wet test Arlies 4300 on it and dial it in. They can run very good, but any carb needs to be dialed in. Timing and curb idle are so critical. Choke settings also. Engine timing being a critical issue. To little advance requires you to crack the primaries open to far and you lose the idle mixture screws in the process. then they stumble and hate you!

I feel so much better if I can have the car and the carb. Trying to rebuild from afar can be problematic.

Rob