• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Early GT/CS - Thoughts?

robert campbell

As for a "pile" sure that word means different things to different people. I have seen a "pile" of marti reports and other documentation during a couple of meetings with Paul over the years while reviewing stuff for the concours section of the book - of which I don't believe has been completed as of yet.

Don't know if this counts - just reporting

The pile I was refering to is the uphill battle to prove something that is not documented well. To prove that my car is something more than just a chop shop creation. The burden of proof for either my car or a debut car.

Well yes there were many "clones/fakes/copies" (what ever term you want to use) all the way back to the 70's. Not sure why so many, especially here in Calif where there were more than any place, but that is one of the issues I have been trying to track down (the group of Calif Spec convertibles in my area) for many years. But that is getting off track and has been mentioned on the site before - just an example of what was going on back then. Believe I must have looked at a dozen copies before 1985 and each were well used at that time but the vast majority had every specific piece in place like an original

Both these cars have original GT/CS parts. Not repops. Either there were multiple doner cars totaled so one could collect all the parts, or they were created when the parts were still available from Ford. IMHO very early, before they were thought to be valuable. Most accidents affect the front of the car, so the fiberglass could be could have come from one car. funny note. My car has Marchal's. Janice's car has Lucas. Again keep in mind two similar clones.

That IMHO is an interesting fact. Do both cars match their original door tags (code) and/or their buildsheets. Or (since they are so close to another) might this be a paint batch that was "off. Just a thought ;)

My car did not have the door tag. Anniversary Gold is a real color that Ford offered. The paint code is odd. I have heard it called "Y5", but to my knowledge the 5 means black out hood. I have seen that in the Mach I series denoting their black out hoods. Y means Sunlit Gold. The registrar's first book has extensive verbiage on the existence of Anniversary Gold.

Yes I think that is a plan - likely the only plan at this time :lipsseal:

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Jeff,
This is so great! You are asking very good questions and not being adversarial. Seeking the truth! Just like I tried before with the registrar. Until he send me the words "never was, never will be" That was the nice part of his PM! Suppose on some level he is correct. It is great that the GT/CS community is helping me. What a great family we are! This is not a profit thing to me. If it was just my car, it would be very suspect. Two cars..... That is why I continue.

Rob

Last edited:

robert campbell

Here are Tim's photo shops replication of the location of the scripts on my car. I measured the holes that are still exiting on the inside of my quarter panel to provide Tim with locations of the what I believe are the locations of the script on my car before I moved them down in 1989. A key reference is its location to the reflector, but keep in mind that my car has recessed reflectors like all cars on the debut stage. A better reference is to judge the location of the script to the location of the “Mustang” script on the trunk lid. The California and the Mustang script are nearly at the same level on the car. Go look at you car and you will see that your California script is definitely below the Mustang script.

The bottom picture on page 14 of the registrar’s first book shows the best picture of this relationship. The back cover of the book in the center just up from the middle shows a left side color shot of a white GT/CS rear quarter. It does not give a picture of the relationship of the Mustang script on the trunk, but if you study it a bit and look at other pics, it is higher.

Anyway, here are the pics that Tim did for me. I believe they are faithful to the traditional location and the debut location. Again if you have the book notice all debut cars are recessed reflectors. If you have the book, tell me your thoughts.

Wonder if anything of this will be in the much-awaited book. If not before, it may be now…. Hope he doesn't use Tim's copyrighted photos....

Rob

Traditional location
Calrrtraditional.jpg

Debut Location

Calrrdebutcar.jpg

L8GR868

Robert I was able to do a title search on my car to verify it was a GT/CS before the Marti reports were out. I was able to get to the second owner can you do this ? Or tried this ?
Eric

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Checked the quarter panels on my car, they have the script holes in the correct lower mounting position.

robert campbell

Robert I was able to do a title search on my car to verify it was a GT/CS before the Marti reports were out. I was able to get to the second owner can you do this ? Or tried this ?
Eric

Eric,
Have not tried a title search. Were you able to get some original paperwork by contacting a previous owner? My car was in the first GT/CS reconition guide and the owner was Bruce Malmberg. Tried to track him down with people search but reached some dead ends. He lives in Hawaii as best as I can tell. I talked to him a long time ago and he was not the original owner. But this was long before I joined the site and became more knowledgable about the total GT/CS picture.

Please tell me what the title search did for you?

Rob

franklinair

This car would have been a GREAT one to have found the build sheets under a seat or carpet.

Neil

robert campbell

Neil,
Yes it would have! Wonder what the build sheet in a debut GT/CS car would look like...... I have a pretty good feeling.

Rob

L8GR868

Robert
I went to the DMV in Oklahoma where the car was first sold and had a search done on my VIN,( they might want the title number also) they were able to pull all previous owners except the first, Micro fish was in to poor of condition. The titles had names of the previous owners. I talked to the second owner of the car. This was in 1991. before I knew of the marti report. Try the state that you think the car was first sold in. It only cost a couple of dollars for each title.
Did you check the tail light wire harness isn't it only for our cars ? If its not cut anywhere and wired into the fuse block I cant see why some one would go thru so much trouble years ago to clone one.
I know this is a hot topic but I would try this. I worked for me.
Eric

robert campbell

Robert
I went to the DMV in Oklahoma where the car was first sold and had a search done on my VIN,( they might want the title number also) they were able to pull all previous owners except the first, Micro fish was in to poor of condition. The titles had names of the previous owners. I talked to the second owner of the car. This was in 1991. before I knew of the marti report. Try the state that you think the car was first sold in. It only cost a couple of dollars for each title.
Did you check the tail light wire harness isn't it only for our cars ? If its not cut anywhere and wired into the fuse block I cant see why some one would go thru so much trouble years ago to clone one.
I know this is a hot topic but I would try this. I worked for me.
Eric

Eric, Should be a Seattle car. I have not tried this.

Wiring harness is uncut and has the proper (purple??) tag on it. Had the complete interior out and have seen it from front to back. No splices.

I bet Janices car is the same. I did not get to ask that question of her Uncle. He may not know.

Rob