• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

9" photo please

nfrntau

Can someone post or email me a photo of the 68 Mustang 9" differential taken from the front side?
I currently have mine taken apart and want to detail to original (even though it's not) when I put it back together. I'm also interested to know if the bumper is mounted on the car (as my 8" bumper was) or on the diff like my 9" currently has.
I never did find out what the hole in the axle shaft was for. After many discussions with many people I have decided to weld it shut and not worry about it. It will remain an enigma.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=2149;start=0#msg14550 date=1127011902]
I never did find out what the hole in the axle shaft was for. After many discussions with many people I have decided to weld it shut and not worry about it. It will remain an enigma.
[/quote]
Hole in the axle shaft or the housing tube? If it's the housing, is it on the drivers side, a couple of inches from where the tube meets the center section?

JGFRANCK

The hole in your axle housing is it on the drivers side,is it on the top of the housing, near the end of the housing? This hole would be for your vent hose, and I don't think you would want to weld this shut. There should be a small rubber hose coming off this hole about a fool long,it makes a loop and has a clamp screwd to the body the the excess is shoved in a hole in the body the hole is about 3/4" in dia. right above the vent. Hope this helps you Joel

Mosesatm

Here is a picture of the 2 vents on Bill's rear end. One may be a little difficult to see because the hose attached to is is covered with duct tape.

Last edited:

JGFRANCK

The hole with the duct tape on it is the vent hole this is the one that should have the rubber hose hoked on to it and looped.The other hole I would just tap and tread a plug in it,the way it looks it may be threaded already.I do not know what that is for I have never seen one at that location.

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Rather than tap it, I'm going to weld a small plate over it. It will still look OK (no worse than an unkown bolt) and I won't have to worry about a bolt ever coming loose.
I been away from the computer a couple days. OMG :eek:
lol

So can someone send me a photo of a stock colored 9" for our Mustangs?

Pleeeaaassseee

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Can't help you on the Mustang 9" since mine doesn't have one. But the bolt you're talking about welding up is where my vent tube is on my 72 Bronco 9" housing. It doesn't have the one further outboard.

390cs68rcode

not sure if this is correct but it is what mine looks like

Attachments

• 390cs5small.jpg
    390cs5small.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thanks Jason. Jon
That hole is an anomaly. I guess it would be possible that Ford used a Bronco rear housing and then set it up for the Mustang. It looks like a factory produced hole, very clean edges and not threaded
??????????????????????????????.