• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Brake Master Cylinder, Original or not?

tmurphy460

I seem to have an odd Master Cylinder on my CS. The car has manual drum brakes , S code with HD suspension package.

The MC has a squared off resevior rather than the typical rounded ends I am used to seeing, and has a bolt through the center instead of a bail wire. The lid appears to have been either chrome or cad plated. It is a Wagner Lockheed casting with PFF 75931 marking. All wheel cylinders are Wagner Lockheed as well. Car has 80K miles with most original parts on it.

Anyone seen this? If it's original I'll rebuild, if not a new one with rounded resevior goes in.

Thanks! -TOM-

nfrntau

Here is a photo of mine prior to dissassembly. My car is a C code, manual drum brakes and also has the heavy duty suspension option.

Attachments

• Mas_Cyl.jpg
    Mas_Cyl.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
T

tmurphy460

Thanks for the pic. This is what I am used to seeing on 67-68 Mustangs. The one I have is squared off (looking fromt he top) and has a flat cover with a bolt instead of the bail to hold the top. I have never seen one like this and I have worked on a lot of mustangs. I'm not sure if it's an odd aftermarket or original to this car (maybe related to the chrome 390GT parts used on the engine in this car?). Every replacement MC I have ever seen are the same as standard (normal) castings as in your picture. Strange...

Thanks, -TOM-

OP
OP
T

tmurphy460

Yes, the bolt holds the cap down. I'll try to post a pic here...
Thanks, -TOM-

Attachments

• Master_Cyl.jpg
    Master_Cyl.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 75

hcsstang

The master cylinder on my HCS had the same type .I don't know if it's orginal or not so I replaced with the other type.

68MustangHCS

I've got one of those on one of my HCS too. I have a ford Master cylinder on the other. I bought a couple spare master cylinders to restore and swap that type out.