• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Carpet Cleaning

darb

I've got excellent carpet in my vehicle, except for one minor problem!

The person who owned the car before me had a light installed right behind the gear shift. He removed it, and it left two white spots about 10 inches apart of adhesive from the two way tape that had melted into the carpet.

I'm trying to come up with a good way to clean this up without damage to the carpet. Is there anything that can dissolve the glue, without hurting the carpet?

-Brad

Talan423

the first thing i would try would be "goo gone". this stuff works pretty well on just about any type of adhesive residue. it has a citric base and you can find it just about at any store.

tom

DeadStang

I've got excellent carpet in my vehicle, except for one minor problem!

The person who owned the car before me had a light installed right behind the gear shift. He removed it, and it left two white spots about 10 inches apart of adhesive from the two way tape that had melted into the carpet.

I'm trying to come up with a good way to clean this up without damage to the carpet. Is there anything that can dissolve the glue, without hurting the carpet?

-Brad

Why don't you try getting an old piece of cloth--like a sheet but thicker (maybe an old cloth diaper?)--and ironing the adhesive? Take a really long extension cord and borrow the wife's iron. Start with a lower setting, like for polyester, place the cloth down, and iron back and forth over the adhesive spots. If that doesn't work and the carpet isn't getting too hot and trying to melt, crank the iron up to the cotton setting and try again.

stangfan

If I may suggest...before you apply a hot iron you might want to go in the opposite direction. If you can apply cold to it you might be able to make the adhesive brittle enough that you can get it out of the carpet. Take a bag of frozen peas or corn and put it on the affected spot. Leave it long enough to get the stuff really cold and then try to remove it.

Just my $.02 worth. :smile: