• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Replacing upper and lower control arms

vbarrios

I'm looking at updating the suspension on my '67 with a grab-a-trak spring and handling kit. While I'm at it, should I replace the original upper and lower control arms as well?

CougarCJ

I would plan on replacing it all if it is still OEM original 1967 parts.

If you don't already have front disc brakes, this is the time to do that conversion too.

rvrtrash

I put all new stock type bushings in mine but if I was building a road racer, I'd go with the polyurethane bushings in the upper and lower control arms and a roller spring perch. Check the arms for cracks while you're at it.

Steve

OP
OP
V

vbarrios

Thanks for the suggestions.
Steve, you mentioned polyurethane bushings. What's the difference between these and stock ones?

rvrtrash

They are a hard material that flexes less (if at all), giving you a firmer ride with more accurate tracking. The down side is, you pick up more road vibration. It all depends on what you're going to do with the car.

Steve

Mustanger

I agree with Steve, when I re-did my '70 Mach 1 with Energy Suspension poly-urethane bushings, it really helped tighten up the chassis ...

CougarCJ

I know several instances where polyeurethane has caused too much stress on strut rods. The rods have cracked and broken.

I do not recommend using the polyeurethane for the strut rods.

One other down side to poly is a tendency to squeek. I did use poly on my front suspension rebuild, no issues and I did use a liberal amount of lubrication during installation. I should mention that I only have about 2000 miles since the front suspension rebuild.