• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Are all California Specials GT's

Doug

Are all California Specials GT's? I was told or seem to remember that not all were.

Also where would I go to obtain the number of California Specials made were of a particular engine trans combo; for example how many were 390 with auto and air.

Thanks, - Doug in CA

John McGilvary

Are all California Specials GT's? I was told or seem to remember that not all were.

Also where would I go to obtain the number of California Specials made were of a particular engine trans combo; for example how many were 390 with auto and air.

Thanks, - Doug in CA

No Doug, all CS's are not GT"s.

I believe all the information on engine and trans combos will be in Pauls book.
I do know that there were 3, 428CJ California Specials produced, 2 auto, and
1 4spd. That is because I own one. There are also 9, 428CJ, HCS"s.

As for the 390"s Jason may have a better idea.

John

Mosesatm

As best we can figure there were 76 X-code (2V) auto cars and 104 S-code (4V) auto cars.

The only way to break the numbers down farther (further?) is to contact Kevin Marti and order a "Marti Report".

classicsguy

In order to qualify as a True GT it has to be a J-code (302ci) engine an S code (390ci) or a R-code(428ci).

No T-code (6 cyl) or C-code(289ci) engine can ever be a TRUE GT. As a matter of fact you can have an S-code 390 GT/CS and not be a true GT.

The only way that you can make sure that the car is a true GT is through the Marti report.

Hope this helps!!

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

Thanks so much – as I have been looking for a California Special and want it to be a GT. But most of the people have told me that their car is a GT but when I look at the Marti report no GT option was in it. I have even had a couple of people tell me that all California Specials were (are) GT’s; especially since the GT/CS is in the stripes on the side.

Once again sites like this are really valuable to the novice, thanks again. I will continue to search for my GT optioned - California Special

BroadwayBlue

Good Luck in your search Doug and welcome to the site!

You've come to the "experts" on CS information here. Any questions ask away don't be shy - someone will know the answer.