• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gold Nugget Special Times Two

6t8-390gt

OK, is this a gold nugget special. I used to own an identical car, and have a Marti Report on another identical car. All three were produced the same day, they had different scheduled build dates, but were actually built the same day. As you can see the Order Type is "Local Promotion". Is this a Gold Nugget or something else?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...oryZ6236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Don’t know where to begin. From what I have read this car is far earlier than the gold nuggets that were a NW promotional car. The picture or the Marti report does not say gold nugget at the bottom of the option list, although it seems to be cut off. My report says gold nugget special at the bottom of the option list. So I guess the seller would say gold nugget special in the ad if it were.

Again, to the best of my knowledge this car is a very nicely optioned early 68-coupe from Metuchen. Carb looks wrong for a J code, but this is a very early car for 1968. I would give the benefit of the doubt on that one!

My guess this is a Sunlit Gold 68 coupe with C stripes and the GT package with other options. Not a gold nugget for the NW. My guess would be all GN cars would be either 74 or 72 DSO and come from San Jose. But stranger things have happened. GN cars also had a personalized plate on the middle of the dash specifying it as a GN. No mention of that in the ad.

Cars this close to the transition of model year can have all sorts of anomalies. Don’t know what else to say.

Rob

6t8-390gt

The more I read the post, the more I realized that it was not a gold nugget special. I am convinced, however, that it was some type of local promotion out of the NY/NJ area. The questions, on this one, remain to be...how many, what were they called, etc.

We all know Ford had a much more creative marketing team in the 60's.