• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Another Bad Idea?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Attachments

• Red Paint.jpg
    Red Paint.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The painted scoop screen, the painted door striker, and the stripe in front of the scoop.

joedls

The painted scoop screen, the painted door striker, and the stripe in front of the scoop.

LOL. None of those things bother me. That's it. You're never allowed to look at my car when it's done.

I didn't even look at the exterior. I was looking at the interior since you mentioned the headrests.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The weird thing is that the striker and scoop attachments are not painted!!!

Oops, I missed the quarter panel windlace not tucked under the sill plate.

robert campbell

Ah heck, went into the link and saw the red air cleaner lid with the 289 "high performance " decal.... Ah come on.... Ford did not have a 271 HP 289 in 1968....

I can let go of paint on striker plates and scoops. But not total fabrication of engine options and HP!! But that is just me!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

This person doesn't quite understand the concept.

Attachments

• 208982_c9888336e5_low_res.jpg
    208982_c9888336e5_low_res.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 54

robert campbell

Arlie,
Had to go back and look at a 68 deluxe door. This guy mounted the light on the outside of the grill and towards the back of the door. You can see the correct spot in the center.

Was this a mistake or did the owner think it looks better?

Rob

Midnight Special

Ah heck, went into the link and saw the red air cleaner lid with the 289 "high performance " decal.... Ah come on.... Ford did not have a 271 HP 289 in 1968....

I can let go of paint on striker plates and scoops. But not total fabrication of engine options and HP!! But that is just me!

Rob

...So I guess I'd better get busy & buff the Carroll Shelby sig off my air cleaner and Jay Leno's penned on my glovebox to keep our model builders happy LOL... and I have yet to get the 45-minute lectures about painted screens, date coded door hinge bolts and absence of afterthought daubs & chalk marks from the seeming hundreds who admire what we do with our GT/CSs more than our so-called experts...

I've come to realize the best car shows are the impromptu ones in gas stations, on the highway and restaurant parking lots (where you thankfully don't see many rivet counters). But that is just me....

Attachments

• DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 37
  • _DSC0048.jpg
    _DSC0048.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_5121.jpg
    DSC_5121.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Ruppstang

Marty the rivet counter here :) I believe as does the MCA there is room in the hobby for everyone and every kind of Mustang. That is why the MCA has daily driven, occasional driven, concours driven, concours trailered, thoroughbred, unrestored and modified classes.
Every car does not need to be a concours restoration. To me it would not be wise to modify a rare or valuable car as they are unique and should be save to show future generations actually what Ford made.
I can also appereachate the work and craftsmanship that goes in to a tastefully done modified car. There are a number of fine examples on this site including yours. There is however a big difference in a intended modification and a sloppy paint job where strikers, grills, latches and wiring get painted. The title of this thread is "Another Bad Idea?" we including myself need to be careful not be too critical of others work. We all have different skill sets, finances and are on different rungs of that ladder of experience.
Your friend Marty

Midnight Special

...Thanks Marty :) I'm just voicing a little balance (as I often do). Seems an increasing few of us for the time being, prefer to spend our money keeping our machines on the road...driving, enjoying, inviting our friends to drive, taking elder former owners for rides etc...in a way trophy hunters never do. This often means diverse (and sensible) mods like incorrect alternators, batteries, air cleaners, headlamps, functional foglamps...you name it.

I'm only affirming that "underground behavior" as ours has served to impress hundreds more in as big of picture "ownership" than uninvited, patch-vested know-it-alls who are often too eager to drive folks away from the hobby with their nitpicking personal need of attention (often times "incorrect" with later revelation argued on these sites).

That is...if you are going to govern over other peoples processes, you'd best (generally) govern yourselves first.

I once went to a gathering where a prominent, worshiped, MCA, SAAC type was said to attend. I brought $180K worth of cars (at that time) and was looking forward to meeting him... right up until I did! His arrogance and wedge-driving jealousy proved far more tacky than "painted screens", which in the long run (thankfully) led to a valuable difference and farther reaching level of enjoyment over appeasing the un-appeasing trailer types.

But again.... That's just me! and I don't believe I need to go on & explain my respect for You, Marty :)

joedls

I have nothing but respect for you guys that have the patience and wherewithal to do a "correct" restoration. And I can really admire your work. However I could never do it. I'm a hotrodder at heart and always want to modify my vehicles. I always want more power, better handling, more comfort, a different look, etc..

That's what's so great about this hobby. There's room for all of us!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

That's one reason I like this photo. It has mild restomod and basically stock side by side, and the restomod (Bill's car) is by far the more impressive car.

Attachments

• Both Cars at Conroe Small.jpg
    Both Cars at Conroe Small.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 45

robert campbell

I hope my comment on the "decal" did not start all of this. I am a hot rodder as you all know. But I have always had a pet peeve on the Hipo 289 sticker that a lot of owners seem to apply to basically stock motors. The Hipo 289 was the pinnacle of the Ford small block and its 3/8 inch rod bolts and connecting rods migrated into the Boss 302 motor which was another stout small block as we know. The block and main caps, the connecting rods, and the solid cam with screw in stud heads for the rockers in this base race motor was way ahead of its time.

Back in the day many people tried to pass off 289's as Hipo's and even 390 motors as 427 motors to increase the value of their car or the sale of an engine.

I also agree with all of you that their is plenty of room for concurs and resto mods in our hobby. That is what makes our site so friendly and full of helpful people. Now that I am working on a diverse segment of Mustang's I have found myself at Marty's door more than a few times! Deluxe door templates would be one example.

I get to have lunch with Steve Wick tomorrow!! Let the lies and tall tales begin!!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Why would someone want to make a '68 Mustang look like a Mustang II?

Attachments

• 00i0i_asoGyhz5daT_600x450.jpg
    00i0i_asoGyhz5daT_600x450.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 52