• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Urgent Help - Decals

gt bandit

Hello Crew ,

Big day tommorow with our annual roundup , we expect 100+ cars
possibly 1 other special and mine

I need some advice

what is the correct engine bay decal on the shock tower and does anyone have the dimensions of where the the door data plate goes.

Mine was missing , but i have managed to get another from Marti - just not sure where it actually goes. Drill hole size would b nice to please.

I also have a variety of Trunk decals - any ideas here?

68 GTCS

The door data plate goes on the end of the drivers door, the holes (2) should already be there. Not sure where all the stickers go.

Good Luck.
Kevin

390cs68rcode

vbpicgallery.php

J_Speegle

"engine bay decal on the shock tower"

Location depended on a couple of things. (picture of a May 68 San Jose X code about 30K original miles- have others if needed)

SpringXcodeengcomp.jpg

The decal on the drivers side shock tower is mounted high like in the picture and in other cases (likely different worker or lack of AC) was mounted lower

In Jason pictures my opinion would be not to include the FRONT decal or the decal located on the passenger side shock tower (normally that one is on the drivers side valve cover as shown in the picture). BTW Jason do you have pictures of either of these when the car was original? Just asking

GTCSMustang

Yep, even on the chrome valve cover. My 428 HCS still has it on there.

Scott

CobraMan

Decal Help

I would also appreciate the correct location of each decal. I purchase the entire kit but am not certain where they should be placed. I was under the impression that the "Caution" decal on the fan shroud was not original. The decal was shipped after production. What's the story?

Thanks

J_Speegle

I would also appreciate the correct location of each decal. I purchase the entire kit but am not certain where they should be placed. I was under the impression that the "Caution" decal on the fan shroud was not original. The decal was shipped after production. What's the story?

Thanks

Correct the CAUTION decals are not factory but sent out or placed on cars during the early 70's.

Plenty of forums (including this one) have gone over this in the past

CobraMan list the decals you got in the kit (what you get varies depending on who made them) and we'll help with where they go and which ones you will throw away ;) or put on your tool box

CobraMan

Decal Kit from Jim Osborn Reproductions, Inc

I will take you up on your offer. I really appreciate the proper location of each of these decals. I know a few but always appreciate clarification.

Battery Test OK Decal
Service Specification Decal
AutoLight Sparkplug Air cleaner decal
Coil Decal
Voltage Regulator Decal
Jacking instructions decal
Door Tire pressure decal
Rear Gravel Pan Tie Down Decal
Emmission Tune-Up Decal (302-351)
Caution Fan Decal
Jack Decal
Air Cleaner Service Instruction Decal
Air Cleaner Front Decal
Trunk Lid Certification Decal

J_Speegle

Getting a head start on sections for Paul's book aren't we ;)

Battery Test OK Decal - Should be the black print one rather than the blue one IMHO
batteryOKdecal4.jpg

Service Specification Decal - Drivers side shock tower

Cubic Inch decal - outer raised area of air cleaner lid

AutoLite Sparkplug Air cleaner decal - Not typical on a later 68 San Jose car

Emission Tune-Up Decal (302-351) - Drivers side valve cover

Air Cleaner Service Instruction Decal - On air cleaner base - drivers side

Most are visible in the picture below
8R02Ceng.jpg

WOULD NOT USE

Air Cleaner Front Decal - Not original to our cars

Caution Fan Decal - not original

Coil Decal - Better would be the correct ink stamp as decals were never used and the decal you got has a 1970 date on it

Voltage Regulator Decal - originally an ink stamp one also. Think AMK is selling the stamped lids

Door Tire pressure decal - Believe it goes in the glove box. Door jamb application of this type of decal started in 69

Jacking instructions decal - though found in a couple of odd spots on a few original cars (drivers side wheel housing and under the spare on the trunk floor) majority were as follows- Passenger side of the trunk lid when open

Trunk Lid Certification Decal - Passenger side of the trunk lid when open. More often lower (on the flat area inside the triangle on the passenger side ) than where it ended up on this original car.

CalSpecTrunkLid2.jpg

Jack Decal - On the long lowest (as you look at it) arm on the jack assembly

C-jack.jpg

Rear Gravel Pan Tie Down Decal - Under the rear lic plate location

390cs68rcode

In Jason pictures my opinion would be not to include the FRONT decal or the decal located on the passenger side shock tower (normally that one is on the drivers side valve cover as shown in the picture). BTW Jason do you have pictures of either of these when the car was original? Just asking

no pre restoration pics. Car was fully restored in early 90's in Canada.

That silver sticker on the valve cover sure looks bad. I could swear I read somewhere about the passenger shock tower was used ocassionally? Anyone confirm a original that had it there?

PFSlim

Here are pictures of my car. Not original. I applied them to the best of my ability in the location where they were suppose to go, where they made sense, and where they looked the best.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01227.JPG
    DSC01227.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 30

J_Speegle

........ I could swear I read somewhere about the passenger shock tower was used ocassionally? Anyone confirm a original that had it there?

Looked through the 250-300 different San Jose 68 Mustangs I have pictures of and could not find a single one on the passenger side. Currently have about 11,000 pictures of specific cars and another 9,000 of individual parts

Of course ones built in any time other than the spring would not be great references for Calif Specials ;)

You can find at times, NJ cars with the decal on the passenger side..... wonder if some people (assembly plants are not often listed in articles) would see magazine articles with the decal there and assume that it was done at all factories. Done for just about every other detail on these cars ;) At NJ you often find them also on the drivers side shock tower turned on their side (about a third of the time which might indicate a single workers style/practice).

Only thing I found there on the passenger side ( a few times) was the decal that came on the KAR kit (retrofit emissions kit sold at smog stations). Other times they slapped in on the snorkel

8R01J103558snorkel.jpg

BTW I thought this was an interesting way one owner placed the CAUTION FAN decal that Ford sent him in the mail - or the service department placed on the ar. Apparently the shroud was already removed never had one or damaged so they had to put it somewhere :)

8T03T203434CAUTION.jpg

Last edited:

J_Speegle

Paul Would be interested if any one has found jacking instructions that high up on the trunk lid.
The small silver one is more typical (in location) than the original one I posted.

PFSlim

I did see someone else with their jacking instructions close to mine, but I don't remember who. I could not place them in the triangle area since the sticker was so big, therefore, thought it would look best in line with the other decal and higher on the deck lid.

If I remember right, it seems that decals (in general) were not placed in one spot. It seems to me that each decal can be placed in several different spots (even when new).

Paul