• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wiring harnesses

franklinair

I've got a '68 Mustang convertible with an after market American Autowire under dash harness. It is the worst wiring installation I've ever seen.:icon_pani
I'm debating whether to try and sanitize it, or order a new Scott Drake harness ($650) from CJ's Mustang.
Anyone had experience with either type of under dash harnesses? I'm leaning towards the Scott Drake harness which is supposedly factory correct.

Neil

Ruppstang

Neil I have a nice original 68 harness that for you would cost much less that a new one.
Marty

rvrtrash

I don't have experience with anyone's harness work (other than my own), but I've heard good things about this company from another website I visit. Even without the factory harness, you might contact him and see what he can do for you.

http://midlifeharness.com/

Steve

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Marty & Steve;
THANK YOU BOTH.
Marty has an under dash harness (PM sent), and I will definitely be contacting Midlife Harnesses for additionally needed wiring.

I just could not let my name be associated with something this horrendous.:icon_no:

Neil

robert campbell

Dad,
I have wired two cars with American Auto wire. They are a "custom" wiring harness that needs lots of patience to install. They have great directions and there wire size and quality is the best of the best. If you want power seat and power window circuits they are the way to go. They use a very large GM type fuse block.

But they are not plug and play and need to be cut and tucked and finessed into what the owner wants.

With all the original stuff out there, they are not the way to go for stock installations. You can get stock stuff from many vendors.

Son

rvrtrash

Neil, if you decide to get rid of the custom harness, let me know what you want for it. I could probably use it as the base for my Sunbeam Tiger rewiring project.

Steve

robert campbell

Bro Steve,
If you want an inexpensive wiring harness try this company. they make small compact fuse blocks with just the amount of circuits you need for a vintage car without power butt warmers and remote heated mirrors with side marker lights!!

I installed the 9 + 3 in my brothers 51 Chevy and its was simple and cheap!! And it had great quality wire. All wires were well marked and ready to go.

Painless and American Auto wire seem to only offer huge harness packages with huge fuse boxes and way more circuits than you need.

Bro Rob

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire Kits

rvrtrash

I've seen that one, and they even have one for the Tiger, but I can't figure out why it's $100+ over their other, generic kits. I'm in the process of figuring out wire gauges, colors and lengths and pricing out what it would cost to just build my own, compared to a kit. I admit it, I'm a cheapo....and I have a little experience building wiring harnesses.

Steve

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

The after market harness is now removed. I will replace ALL wiring from front to back with correct Mustang harnesses.
Steve will be able to redeem this and make good use of it.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 32

rvrtrash

Thanks Neil. I'll try to make it look like something more usable. :cheesy:

Steve