• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2008 California Special Member Get Together

Mosesatm

If someone has a database showing where all the members that would attend such an event live it would be possible to pick cities that would minimize the total miles driven. For example if 75% of the westcoast folks live in SoCal it may not make sense to have the party in Utah.

Jason, we definitely need to find more Texas owners so the central meet is here. Either that or you do need to buy a few more cars. Ok, all you Texas people it's time to speak up!

007bluto

California Special member get together.......... California Special...................California............. For some reason the word California keeps poping up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wait, I might be out on a limb here, I might be spitballing, yes from out in left field comes the idea CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it would be great to hold a big rally in the bay area, since all the CS were made in San Jose, it would be a return to there birth place..............................As the GT/CS brosure says California made it happen............Bluto 8) ;D

joedls

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1835;start=30#msg12371 date=1121100428]
I figure if I buy enough CS's to make the majority of owned CS's in Houston we would HAVE to have it here.

028.gif
028.gif
028.gif

[/quote]

As a former Houstonian and now Orange County California resident, I have one question and one statement.

Question: How's the weather in Houston lately?

Statement: High today will be ~80, sunny, slight breeze. In other words, PEREFECT!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

390cs68rcode

been bewteen 95-101 the last month or so with 70-80% humidity. thank god for air conditioners.

today it is 80 and a small shower.

joedls

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1835;start=30#msg12380 date=1121110323]
been bewteen 95-101 the last month or so with 70-80% humidity. thank god for air conditioners.

[/quote]

I don't remember small showers in Houston. ???

Mosesatm

"Small" is a relative term. Remember, everything is bigger in Texas. That small storm Jason refered to just did a good job shaking 12-story building. Is that more on the order of what you remember?

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

So what exactly should be the factors that weigh in on where to hold a get together? My list would be this in this order.

1-Travel Distance for those attending.
2-Time of year
3-Scenic area offering a recreation atmosphere.
4-Area with a moderate climate, no ovens, no freezers.
5-Host location of the get together.

What does everyone else think?

Hook

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=joedls link=board=1;threadid=1835;start=45#msg12384 date=1121113482]
[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1835;start=30#msg12380 date=1121110323]

[/quote]

I spent a week in Houston and it rained while we were there and when I looked out the window of the JW Marriot there were cars floating down the road. :eek: The raindrops were bigger than I had ever seen that's for sure.

Hook

I don't remember small showers in Houston. ???
[/quote]

joedls

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1835;start=45#msg12385 date=1121114644]
"Small" is a relative term. Remember, everything is bigger in Texas. That small storm Jason refered to just did a good job shaking 12-story building. Is that more on the order of what you remember?
[/quote]

That's exactly what I remember. I also remember that about this time of year, it rained just long enough to raise the humidity level to unbearable when the sun came back.

joedls

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1835;start=45#msg12385 date=1121114644]
[/quote]

I tried that "everything is bigger in Texas" line with my wife. She told me to go on a diet. ;)

68gt390

MCA is holding their Grand Nationals the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of Sept 05 up in Youngstown, OH. This would be a great opportunity for some of the east coast GT/CS and HCS cars to get together. So far I know of at least 3 GT/CS's from Ohio that should be attending and at least 1 HCS from PA. Anyone else out there attending this event?

Don ;D

rvrtrash

I just got back from 6 days of white water rafting and am leaving again in a few hours for more but wanted to chime in again. We talked about this sitting on the beach at night and thought it would be appropriate to have the get together in Monterey or somewhere similar, spend a morning lined up in the parking lot of the mall or whatever used to be the Ford plant in San Jose (a moment of silence please), cruise the route Steve McQueen flew through in "Bullitt" on our way back to our rooms and then head home. It's over 1,000 miles for me one way, but I'd be willing to do that.
Steve

Mustanglvr

I`ve always wanted to go to California. We might have to have 3 seperate locations though so it would be easier for all the owners across the country. What about the guys in England and Australia? What are they gonna do for a get together? Are there very many of you? Rhonda

P

PNewitt

Weeeelll.......We have a long time to figure this one out...

Although maybe a westward migration of GT/CS and HCS cars to Knotts for the '08 Ford show would be really cool!

As far as numbers--ownership is like this--50% in Calif., and 50% everywhere else (US and other countries, Canada, etc.)

Paul N.

Mustanger

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1835;start=45#msg12585 date=1121722837]
Weeeelll.......We have a long time to figure this one out...

Although maybe a westward migration of GT/CS and HCS cars to Knotts for the '08 Ford show would be really cool!

As far as numbers--ownership is like this--50% in Calif., and 50% everywhere else (US and other countries, Canada, etc.)

Paul N.
[/quote]

That's always a good place to see Fords, Mustangs, and even some CS's from year-to-year. Great place to increase CS awareness among a spectator crowd of people who love Mustangs and Fords in general :) .

Ford has even displayed the '05 Mustang there before it was released to the public, ... wouldn't it be cool if the new CS would be there as we're all there?? 8) ;D

Mosesatm

California is a logical choice because of the great weather (discounting the June gloom) and being the birthplace of the GT/CS and all but one thing that might be worth considering is the fact that our cars don't have the impact there that they would almost anywhere else. And I'm not saying that's good or bad it's just something to consider. For example, if we ended up meeting in Northern Idaho our gathering would most likely be all over the Spokane evening news. Of course, with this eclectic group why we end up on the evening news could be either good or bad.

How about some place like Big Bear? That way those who wanted to go into town (LA) could make a day trip out of it. Now that would make for an interesting convoy!

Just throwing out ideas to see what sticks.

P

PNewitt

Since this car, that began in California, is all over the country now, it makes it difficult to know what and where to do this.

When I do my "mass mailing" to everyone (about 800) later this year, I'll ask who is interested--and that may have something to do with picking a common area, based on the proximity of owners. I can say that it will probably be within California.

I could suggest something like meeting at Knotts Ford show in April, then we do a drive up the California coast. I know of a lot of places that we can go to have a wonderful time.We could also meet at the Petersen Auto Museum in downtown L.A., too!! Another place would be Century City, where the car was unveiled to the Ford dealers for the first time. Kind of like a history tour.

There are several Los Angeles and Orange County Mustang clubs--and a cool Shelby club there, too. "IF" we went to Vegas, we could meet at Shelby's plant, and maybe do a drive on the nearby racetrack. No doubt, the Mustang magazines would be all over this one! Just the drive to Vegas from L.A. would be awesome! (there is a very cool Shelby and Mustang club in Vegas, too!).

I know that this isn't Idaho, or Ohio, but this would be cool.
What do you think?

Paul N.

68gt390

Not to sound negative but, I kinda like the idea of having several different locations for those folks located in different parts of the country. If it's held on the West Coast your looking at for some of us 3 to 4 days travel time one way if we drive our cars plus another 5 days once there and 3 to 4 days back. I myself for one wouldn't be able to take that much vacation time all at once plus I sure as heck don't want to put that kind of mileage on my car. If we stay with the meeting location based on where the car was produced, it's going to cut a lot of us out. Just my thoughts on it.

Don

P

PNewitt

Good point. Maybe have the West Coast event for the Calif/Nev, etc. cars, and schedule some major Mustang (or Ford) car show "way east of Denver" for GT/CS and HCS cars in that area to converge at all at once.

I think the SAAC show by then might be on the east coast that year.

Paul N.