• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What was your first car?

miller511

Hey all,

My apologies if this has been brought up before, but after going through the process of car shopping with my 16 year old son awhile back, it got me to thinking- "What was your first car?" and the second question- "What was the car that you REALLY wanted for your first car?" If you were fortunate, you got what you really wanted. I'm guessing most of us didn't.

I know I didn't get what I really wanted. Economics ruled then, as it does now.

Back in 1979, I bought a 1974 Datsun Pickup as my first ride. The car I really wanted was a 1974 Datsun 240Z (Sorry, I wasn't thinking Mustangs at the time).

-Jeff

BTW- My son did not get what he wanted (a 2005 Mustang GT...hey, I don't even have one of those!!!). But he did get a very nice used Toyota Tacoma.

tworings

Back in 1974 I inherited my mom's 1969 Cougar when SHE got her 240Z! :grin: ~Lisa

BroadwayBlue

In 1981, the first car my parent's got for me to use was a 1976 Oldsmobile Omega (Olds version of a Nova). Beige with a Black Vinyl top. It was actually my sister's but it was the first car I had regular use of.

The first car that was technically mine was a 1980 VW Rabbit my Uncle gave me. That was around 1985 or 1986 I guess. That started my love of VWs, excluding Herbie and Bugs which I wanted years before that. Of course Mustangs were always on the wish list too but it took another 10 years before I owned my first one.

The first car I purchased was a 1987 VW Scirocco 16V - I kept it for 10 years and ran the mileage over 132,000

Last edited:

case12

1972 dodge charger special edition. i wanted a 55 chevy post. my parents convinced me college was more important than the chevy. finally got one 20 years later. casey

somethingspecial

My first car to drive in HS was a 63' Chevy Nova. It was my moms ride. When I was a senior, I drove a 57' Chevy Cameo P/U, (Still have it) but the first car I bought, Worked my butt off in an apple orchard all summer long, and PAID for myself, was a 1968 1/2 GT/California Special Mustang. It was Cool. It had a 390GT engine, and a four speed trans. Anyone ever hear of one of those? LOL. Yes, It is the same one I have today. I have the first truck I ever drove, a 1966 chevy truck, sitting in my dads lap, I remember it like it was yesterday, the steering wheel seemed like it was 4 feet wide. I have the Cameo, and my first car. Mike

marie68csmustangs

The first car that I drove was a 83 Blazer Diesel.. Yeah, It was fun to pull into High School with that thing.. It was My dads. My first car that I ever owned (Have title), and such is a 98 Saturn SL2.. I wanted and still want a 66 Mustang - after a friend (Not Tim), had one..

Another Question - What car did you all take your Driver's test in? I took mine in a 83 Blazer Diesel.. The testing person said to me after I came back - "If you can drive this thing, you can drive anything"..

Marie

Mustanglvr

I thought the 68 1/2 GT/CS`s were the ones with the 428`s? Anyway, I had my choice of driving either my Mom`s 70 Mach 1 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland or my 73 Chevy orange Camaro with a 350 auto. Every evening I was racing on the streets of Sioux Falls, South Dakota when I was`nt busy singing in a rock band back in the good ole` 1980`s. I remember freaking out some of my friends by racing the Mach 1 against a Torino (also a 351 Cleveland), doing 120 mph on the road in front of the copshop. Thats "police station" in laymens terms,lol. It was fun and stupid and I won.

I took my drivers test in my Camaro.

quicknick

I bought my first ride in 1976. It was a 68 Ford pickup. This truck was a rusted out piece of junk, but it was all mine and paid for. Both floorboards were completely gone, so my girlfriend had to ride with her feet on my lap. We covered up with a blanket to stay warm and keep the road spray off of us. AHH, those were the good old days!

Diesel Donna

My 1968 California Special Mustang.

My first driver's road test was in mom's station wagon I'm sure, a 1963 Pontiac Safari? Um... not that I hadn't been driving it before that and mom never knew it. :scared: :grin: :::::::::::proud look::::::::::

hicountrybob

My 1st car was a blue 1940 ford conv, at age 17. Bought it in March and my parents made me sell it in Sept, 'cus I lost my drivers lic. Here in Denver, the police didn't like illegal left turns, loud Smitty mufflers, dual spotlights and when striking pedestrians in crosswalks, YOU"RE DONE.( this last ticket happened after leaving a movie theater watching "HIGH NOON"). Guess the date. This past winter, I put together some photo albums of cars I've owned from day 1. I've had so many Mustangs (and a Shelby KR) that I had to put togther an album just for Mustangs. I now know this number was unChristian-like. (try 31) in all. In my second album, 42 total here, the cars range from that first '40 Ford to '50, '51, and '52 Bel Airs to a '55 Vic to a '55 and '57 Corvette, and later 2 -'78 Silver Anniv. Corvettes, to pair of '75 Chev. Caprice convs. to 2 different '67 Rancheros and on and on. Presently (and no more), we have a '64 Riv, a '47 Ford club coupe with custom stuff like a '47 Olds grill, '41 Studebaker taillights, a real '50's period-correct car, 2 '68 HCS, 1 Cal Spec, 1 '68 fastback, and a '66 hipo conv plus our truck and my wife's car. She says "that's all, folks, NO MORE", kind of like John B. said in the film, The Principal . I agree with them, no more. Bob here.

Diesel Donna

hicountrybob said:
My 1st car was a blue 1940 ford conv, at age 17. Bought it in March and my parents made me sell it in Sept, 'cus I lost my drivers lic. Here in Denver, the police didn't like illegal left turns, loud Smitty mufflers, dual spotlights and when striking pedestrians in crosswalks, YOU"RE DONE.( this last ticket happened after leaving a movie theater watching "HIGH NOON"). Guess the date. This past winter, I put together some photo albums of cars I've owned from day 1. I've had so many Mustangs (and a Shelby KR) that I had to put togther an album just for Mustangs. I now know this number was unChristian-like. (try 31) in all. In my second album, 42 total here, the cars range from that first '40 Ford to '50, '51, and '52 Bel Airs to a '55 Vic to a '55 and '57 Corvette, and later 2 -'78 Silver Anniv. Corvettes, to pair of '75 Chev. Caprice convs. to 2 different '67 Rancheros and on and on. Presently (and no more), we have a '64 Riv, a '47 Ford club coupe with custom stuff like a '47 Olds grill, '41 Studebaker taillights, a real '50's period-correct car, 2 '68 HCS, 1 Cal Spec, 1 '68 fastback, and a '66 hipo conv plus our truck and my wife's car. She says "that's all, folks, NO MORE", kind of like John B. said in the film, The Principal . I agree with them, no more. Bob here.

Holy Smokes Bob!!

davidathans

My first car was my GTCS and it is still my only car. My uncle lets me drive his toyota and my dad lets me drive his honda so the GTCS stays in the garage most of the time now, but in hs it was my everyday driver.

LUVMYCS

My first car was the car of my dreams(when I was 16)- 1966 Candy Apple Red Mustang Coupe. I paid $1000 for it (my own money) and sold it 8 years later for 5K. I did do a lot of restoration on it, so in the end I probably broke even. It was a fun car although it had a straight 6. I knew my next car had to be faster! I replaced that car with a '91 5.0 with a lot of "extras". Fast car (at the time)! I still own it.

Very happy to have the opportunity to purchase the CS- takes me back to my roots! There's nothing like a classic!

Perkchiro

My first car was a 68 California Special. It was Candyapple red with black standard interior, 4 speed and a 289. I loved that car. With some minor engine tweaks,( headers, glass packs, holly 650 and an Edelbrock intake) I could chirp the tires up to 3rd gear. It was a lot of fun in high school. Even got me in trouble once with the police ( I won't elaborate on that one!) I often wonder what happened to it.

Steve in Missouri

luisa2552

First was a 1965 Pontiac Tempest, second was a '69 Pontiac LeMans. Fun cars.

Mosesatm

'68 Highland Green 289 2v, 4-speed, GT/CS.

Paid $395 for it in 1977. It was cheap because the front passenger fender was bashed in and that wheel was canted inward. Plus the interior had lime green shag carpeting and the 289 had a bad valve.

Since it was my only car I performed a quasi-rolling restoration on it all through high school. Sold it in San Diego in 1988.

It's in the gallery.