• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

emergency brake handle

69convert

the emergency brake handle is held on by interference fit pin. Does anyone have an easy method to get the pin out?

di81977

Timely thread. I am having the same problem. I tried drilling, did not work, I think you need a really good bit! I also took off as much of the plastic handle as possible and tried channel locks. Didn't work either.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

David

JGFRANCK

brake handle

I don't think you will be able to drill it very well, if I am not mistaken it is a hardened roll pin. The best way I found to get them out is to have a freind hold the rod with something heavy against it (like a hunk of steel) while you get a punch and tap it out. This has always worked for me. Joel

OP
OP

69convert

tap it

so-o-o-o-o. the hole in the shaft is goes all the way through so you can tap the pin into the shaft, remove the handle, and then tap the pin out the other side? I sure would had to drive that hardend pin into the shaft and then drill to drill it out then.
If I can drive the pin through the shaft I think I might try using a small C-clamp and smaller-diameter pin so I don't have to whack on the shaft and take a chance on having to replace the shaft.