• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Correct 390 4v snorkel

390cs68rcode

here is the correct snorkel for a 68 390 4v S code Mustang. part number is C8OZ-9A626-B

Attachments

• 390snorkel.jpg
    390snorkel.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 134

ViCatz

Jason
What is the correct US GT air filter and is it the same or different than the 289/302 filter element?
One thing I am trying to determine is the bolt spacings on the US GT snorkel compared to the CJ and 289/302/351 spacings.
The X code snorkle is same as Ford Truck 68?-76 as well as full size FoMoCo 68/70ish.
The X code snorkel bolts to 289 302 351 and Truck and Bird etc 390 housings but does not bolt to CJ BOSS or IP housings.
Can you clear this up for me/us?
Thanks

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Jason
What is the correct US GT air filter and is it the same or different than the 289/302 filter element?
One thing I am trying to determine is the bolt spacings on the US GT snorkel compared to the CJ and 289/302/351 spacings.
The X code snorkle is same as Ford Truck 68?-76 as well as full size FoMoCo 68/70ish.
The X code snorkel bolts to 289 302 351 and Truck and Bird etc 390 housings but does not bolt to CJ BOSS or IP housings.
Can you clear this up for me/us?
Thanks

I am fairly certain the 289/302 filter is different than the 390 4v. The 289/302/390 2v uses the FA-50 filter and the 390 4v uses the FA-41. From what I remember the FA-50 is .3 of an inch shorter than the FA-41 and I think it is the same diameter. The FA-50 filter will work inside a 390 4V air cleaner except the lid will not completely close because the filter is a little too tall.

I can measure my 390 4V snorkel bolt spacings a little later today and post it back to this thread. My 390 4V is a NOS part that I picked up a year or two ago and I TRIPLE checked the part number before it was purchased.

The snorkel on my 68 CJ has bolt spacings that are narrower than the 390 4V.

here is a pic from the 428 site about the 390 4v/428/390 2v snorkels. The top one is the 390 4V.

snorkel-390andCJ.jpg

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

my 390 4v snorkel is 6 inches center to center for the bolt holes.

my 68 CJ is 5 inches center to center for the bolt holes. I am not 100% sure the CJ is the correct snorkel. I am pretty sure it is correct and it is what came on the car.

J_Speegle

The original X codes I've seen appear to have the same snorkel as the 390 GT's delivered in the states. Here is one example from a San Jose built X code with 40,000 miles

40K68Xcode.jpg

Decal on the snorkel is not original(also rad cap, shock, rad hose, clamps and spark plug wire) but from a retrofit Nox device likely installed in the late 70's also the reason the ported vacuum switch hoses are not connected.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

that's not the same snorkel as a 390 4V. That looks like the usual 390 2V snorkle (which appears on other big Fords with a 390 2V).

ViCatz

Hi Guys

This is one of those areas never been completely clear to me so there will be some thinking out loud.
The bend is different between Jeff and Jasons pics of snorkels.
At first look this appears that Jason has the C8O and Jeff the C8W prefix snorkle.
Jason makes note of the difference in height on the filters themselves.
If I understand that correctly that means the shorter filter could be used in the taller housing except it would of course not seal.
Now the lid on the 68 US GT and X code appears to me to be the same lid as the 302 351 390 Truck and 2V TBird etc and not the spoked lid found on 67 GTs and later CJ BOSS and IP apps.
The MPC calls out two different dimensions for the filter housing widths. 17" and 17.83" iirc
One housing uses the spoked lid same as 69 IP,BOSS GT67.
The other uses the lid found on all Truck Bird and 2V apps till 76.
From where I am standing the 351/390 lid as I call it is for the taller filter/housing and has a bolt spacing for snorkle of 6" where as the spoked lid has spacings of 5".
The 68 GT US housing has a vac door different than the 69 IP and CJ and BOSS apps. Its a one year only base but what I have always wondered is if teh filter seals and being as it uses the big filter lid and base? with the lower non sealing airfilter?
See where I am going with this?
From a mechanic's point of view.
When I see that lid I expect it to take a certain filter and when I see the spoked lid a different shorter element.
Have 68 GTs been using the short filter in the tall housing?

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

the 17 and 17.83 diameter filter makes sense as well. I have had 2 different diameters of filters I have used and one was just a little to large around (and I think too tall but could be confusing this part).

ViCatz

OK
I have my Mercury MPC International version on DVD handy.
I see that 68 390 2V 289 2V and 302 2V assembly is 17.84" diameter x 4.20" high- with closed emission C8AZ 9600-D
68 390 4V except GT 17" diameter x 4.20"H *C8OZ 9600-A (*= USA only)
68 4V GT Chrome cover-17" diameter x4.20 high. *C8OZ 9600-B
I think I have copied that info correctly.
Now I'll try and find the snorkles.

ViCatz

68 9A626 Duct and Valve assembly its called.
68 390 2V 10 1/8" overall length less motor. C8WY 9A626-A
68 390 4V GT (65A,C) C8OZ 9A626-B
68 390 4V GT (65B) *C8WY 9A626-A
So Mercury broke it down by body style/code and used both snorkles depending on the application. (I can't wait to tell them Cougar boys that!)
65A is std buckets B deluxe buckets and C Bench seat.
There was no convertible.
So maybe someone with the Ford International MPC could help us along with some values?

ViCatz

heres the X code NOS I have C8WY 9A626-A
as well as a CJ and 69 IP.
The IP is same as 68 GT I am told except the ring is not there on 68s but that can not be accurate as the 69 IP snorkle fits the CJ IP BOSS housing and not the 390 2V housing.
Jason could you measure the diameter of your assembly for us?
Thanks.

Attachments

• x NOS snork.jpg
    x NOS snork.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 37
  • x NOS snork (1).jpg
    x NOS snork (1).jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 36
  • x NOS snork (2).jpg
    x NOS snork (2).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 44
  • snorkel-69 390.jpg
    snorkel-69 390.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 39
  • snorkel-CJ.jpg
    snorkel-CJ.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 44
  • snorkel-2.jpg
    snorkel-2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 32

J_Speegle

Sorry guys I stand corrected on the bend.

So maybe someone with the Ford International MPC could help us along with some values?

Only have the late versions, none from 68 and the later 72-final 75 version have enough mistakes (replacement numbers) that I try and stay away from using it as a reference.

Since we're on a Calif Special board I don't see any particular reason for an international version

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

And a Canadian 68 GT
download.php

IF this is correct for a Canadian 68 MUSTANG then mine is incorrect on my car. When I bought it they had the one you pictured on it and of course I assumed it was incorrect since those were used on 67 Mustangs. I still want someone to double check that California Specials that went to Canada used the 67 air cleaner (I like to double check data to confirm things).

ViCatz

Jeff
The reason for an international version is that CS were shipped to Canada and therefore w/o the INT version one will not see the Canadian information.
Jasons car is a Canadian DSO iirc.
Jason
IP is the 69 390. MAny still call a 69 390 a GT but it is actually an IP. IP equals Improved Performance.Has Autolite carb and different intake than 67/8 GTs.
Jason the diameter of the air filter assembly.
According to the MPC the 68 GT housing is 17" in diameter.

ViCatz

IF this is correct for a Canadian 68 MUSTANG then mine is incorrect on my car. When I bought it they had the one you pictured on it and of course I assumed it was incorrect since those were used on 67 Mustangs. I still want someone to double check that California Specials that went to Canada used the 67 air cleaner (I like to double check data to confirm things).
Jason
I too would prefer someone double check.
I do not want anyone to take my word for it.
I'd prefer that I just bring your attention to these details and that you and others resource the info to confirm.
I guarantee you though that I am correct on this matter.
I understand why you would have assumed it was in error.
I also have been mixed up on this before and why I'm here sharing now.
Ray

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

ViCatz

Can we please keep to 1968 Mustangs and terminology on this site? I don't own a 67 or a 69 only 68's. I doubt many on this board would know what you mean by a IP. I am not trying to be a wisea$$ just trying to keep on topic of 1968 Mustangs and specifically California Specials.

I will measure my housing later today and post back here.

ViCatz

You may not own a 67 or 69 however others may indeed be scavenging parts from other years. Now some 68 owners will need to scavenge 67 air filter assemblies....
It is noteworthy that a 69 390 is NOT a 68 390 and that one should not confuse the two as has happened before. I feel that info is relevant to 68 owners, that a 69 is not same.
Neither is 67 390. The dampner and some other bits are different.
IP is correct name for 69 Mustangs not GT.

Sometimes we need to look outside the box to see what we really have.
I didn't learn what I know by ignoring other lines or years.
The end will justify the means.
For instance.
One looking in the US version of shop manuals and MPC would find incomplete information and if one was to say restore his car to US standards and actually be a Canadian DSO then one would not be looking far enough to discover the information. Limitations are just that.
I have displayed the IP snorkel to show the diffs though someone has said in past that it bolts to GT 68 housing.
With your and other's help we can get to the facts here for CS, Mustang and other cars no one wants me to mention by name.