• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Gas Cap leaking

Sarge

Folks,

I am seeing signs that the gas cap is leaking. The rear bumper chrome is looking like the gas has been escaping from the filler neck out the cap. The filler neck is new, and I don't see signs of problems inside the trunk. Is there a kit or parts to buy to rebuild the gas cap? New seal "lid" (not sure what it's called) spring, gasket or ?? And how do you rebuild the gas cap? Or is it "just buy a new one"?

Thanks,

Robert

stangfan

I didn't think those gas caps were leak-proof when they were new. I don't ever fill my tank to the top for that reason.

Mosesatm

Many years ago I made a new gasket for mine. Just purchased a sheet of gasket material and copied the rock hard one that was in the cap.

Don

If you decide to make your own gasket beware that the new gas blends (with ethanol) will not be compatible with some of the materials available.

robert campbell

Dudes,
I got tired of bending over and putting gas in a pop open gas cap that hates the angle of the new gas nozzles. Got tired of gas squirting out on the bumper and draining down the valance. Got tired of gas nozzles that only operate if I hug them and rub their bellies! My knees ached all the time! Don't ask about my back!

Mostly got tired! I made a gas filler that is inside the trunk and our pop open is a fake now. Gas filler is straight down into the tank. Went to a junk yard and grabbed an old gas fill out of any old made in the USA car! Welded it onto about a foot of exhaust pipe and voila!!

No one steals our gas and I can stand up and fill with my knees in a locked position like a homo sapien should be with his back straight up and down! No more spillage! No more leaking!! And can be put it back to stock in about 30 minutes if the sale of your prized steed hinges on the buyer having young knees and no brains!!

Want a picture?? Tired of spilling gas everywhere??

Rob

Ruppstang

Dudes,
I got tired of bending over and putting gas in a pop open gas cap that hates the angle of the new gas nozzles. Got tired of gas squirting out on the bumper and draining down the valance. Got tired of gas nozzles that only operate if I hug them and rub their bellies! My knees ached all the time! Don't ask about my back!

Mostly got tired! I made a gas filler that is inside the trunk and our pop open is a fake now. Gas filler is straight down into the tank. Went to a junk yard and grabbed an old gas fill out of any old made in the USA car! Welded it onto about a foot of exhaust pipe and voila!!

No one steals our gas and I can stand up and fill with my knees in a locked position like a homo sapien should be with his back straight up and down! No more spillage! No more leaking!! And can be put it back to stock in about 30 minutes if the sale of your prized steed hinges on the buyer having young knees and no brains!!

Want a picture?? Tired of spilling gas everywhere??

Rob

Rob what is not modified on your car?? LOL

sam

yup..........I would like a picture of this ! I hear ya
Sam

BigJim

Sounds like a potential gas spill in your trunk if the nozzle auto shut off fails to shut off in time.

franklinair

I replaced the gas cap on mine. It has a concealed cap to seal the filler neck. Found it on E-Bay.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 61

robert campbell

Sounds like a potential gas spill in your trunk if the nozzle auto shut off fails to shut off in time.

Has not happened since 1977 in Val's Fastback, but of course I never leave the gas nozzle unattended. Keep the seal centered on the fill area and it shuts off fine. And I am standing upright. Blanked off the gas cap area, and all is reversible in just a few minutes.

Boy does my back thank me!!!

whodat

I bought a repop flip open gas cap and that cap Neil talks about was in the box too.

BroadwayBlue

Resurrecting this thread.

That gasket isn't working anymore and tired of having a stream of gas on my driveway after filling up and maneuvering into the garage.
A little incline and it's pouring out when full. I saw a GTO pull out of the gas station once and the gas was coming out as he accelerated. I thought it was amusing at the time, I guess I'm probably doing the same thing now :cool:

So I'm throwing in the towel and planning on trying the repop gas cap. :surrender

I like Rob's solution but thinking of giving the repop a try.

Wasn't sure how the screw on cap worked. I get an idea from Neil's picture.

Has anyone installed the repop themselves? Is it a simple swap?
I'm trying to figure out where the cap screws on. Is it to the new gas cap structure itself?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: So this video helped. I guess I should go home and look at my filler next closer :)
If this is the same as ours the cap looks to fit on the existing filler neck.
If so, do I need to buy the whole kit or just get a gas cap that will fit inside? Understanding I might need to remove some of the pop open pieces.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/gas-cap-pop-open-with-running-horse-logo-1968/p/GC68P/

Sorry for so many questions. Will also look at my filler neck when I'm home.

Last edited:

hatchdog

Rich,

Here is a picture of Neil's installation of the new gas cap with the twist off cap removed. It appears that the twist off cap fits directly onto the filler neck tube. The link you provided mentioned a new filler neck tube is required for the replacement kit with the twist off cap. Hope this helps and if you need any other pics let me know.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 34

Ruppstang

The twist lock structure is in every filler neck. Most auto parts stores will have a cap that will fit and seal. If you do this you will need to remove the spring and seal from your old pop off cap to make room for the twist on cap.
Marty

robert campbell

I absolutely love my inside gas fill solution. No more shutting off as you fill your tank. No more spilling. Looks totally stock with the pop open as a fake that is blanked off. Easy to convert back to stock, so the next owner can squat on their knees and listen to the gurgle sound to ensure they do not spill over and ruin the paint behind the bumper and behind the license plate....

The ability to stand up like a normal human and fill my tank.... PRICELESS!

Rob