• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New Registry Info: How many cars per state (& Country)

P

PNewitt

Here is an new update from the GT/CS Registry!!

Not since 1996 has there been this type of information. I did a count of the registry to determined just how many cars, registered with names, are in each state. Since not everyone "everywhere" in the US (and a few other countries) has registered their (1968) GT/CS, this is at best a good thumbnail estimate of how many cars are out there, and by state.

A better, detailed listing and analysis of these numbers will be in the upcoming book. The total cars listed with addresses in the Registry is 684 (16% of total original production) , but the Registry has close to 1100 (27% of total original production) cars listed from many sources.

California (both Northern and Southern) still has 34% of all cars in the registry (in the U.S.) The Colorado numbers, as well as parts of those surrounding states are mostly HCS cars, but are included.

Note that after almost 40 years, cars in certain states have declined, by "natural attrition", due to bad weather of daily driving, etc. Some folks in certain states here will find that they have a GT/CS that is extremely rare, like in Mississippi, South Carolina, Maine, Arkansas, etc. What is the real suprise is that Arizona was sent many, many cars in 1968, but only 20 have been registered today.

So--by the numbers are the distribution of 1968 GT/CS Mustangs:

California: 235 (No. Cal - 112, So Cal. - 123)

Colorado - 43 (thanks to Bob Teets' HCS Registry)
Texas - 38
Washington St. - 30

Oregon - 27
Arizona - 20

Illinois - 19

Michigan - 18 Missouri - 18

Florida - 17

New Mexico - 15

Minnesota - 13 Oklahoma - 13

Utah - 12

Indiana - 11 Ohio - 11

New York - 9

Montana - 8 Idaho - 8

Georgia - 7 Virginia - 7 Iowa - 7

Alabama - 6

Massachusetts -5 Arkansas - 5 Pennsylvania - 5
Maryland - 5 South Dakota - 5 North Dakota - 5

Nebraska - 4 Alaska - 4 Wyoming - 4 New Jersey - 4

Wisconsin - 3 Hawaii - 3 Kentucky - 3 Kansas - 3

Tennesee - 2 Lousianna - 2 Maine - 2 West Virginia - 2
Connecticut - 2 Puerto Rico - 2

New Hampshire - 1 South Carolina - 1 Mississippi - 1

----------------------------

Foreign:

Canada: 41 total, (of that, B.C. 20)
Australia - 7
New Zealand -1
Sweden - 2
UK - 1

68gt390

Paul;
Thanks for posting that. Very interesting information to know. I knew of 6 CS's in Ohio but, had no idea there were actually 11.

Don

di81977

Interesting stuff. I am in Colorado and am SHOCKED that there are 43. These are only 68's right, no 66 or 67 HCS's?

Bob and other Coloradians, sounds like we need to have our own local BBQ and get together!!

david

miller511

Paul,

Where did you "draw the line" between northern California and southern California?

-Jeff

miller511

Paul,

The Arizona number of 20 is interesting. I've seen a fair number of CS's for sale the last few years that claim they were originally Arizona cars. Maybe many of these cars are now scattered about the rest of the country/world having been bought up because of the appeal of being from a dry climate.

Do you have a breakdown of registered CS's by DSO? How many originally went to AZ?

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

miller511 said:
Paul,

Where did you "draw the line" between northern California and southern California?

-Jeff

"uh....<checking notes>....Anything south of Tracy!" (kidding)...

Actually, I thumbnailed it as anything South of Valencia, over the hill from the Central Valley; down to San Diego.

I know that in "California Mythos" that Fresno is the imaginary line between North and South.

You should have seen my cryptic notes keeping tally of this! What a mess! LOL.

As for the HCS folks, yes, I think a mailer out to those in Colorado (and nearby with HCSs) should have their own BBQ. Also--no, I just counted '68 HCS cars, Bob handles the 66-67's (as well as the '68's).

This info should help out a lot of folks to determine rarity, and where we stand. It helps determine where to meet and drive to for the 40th Drive (as well as SAAC 2007 in Salt Lake).

Paul N.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

miller511 said:
Paul,

The Arizona number of 20 is interesting. I've seen a fair number of CS's for sale the last few years that claim they were originally Arizona cars. Maybe many of these cars are now scattered about the rest of the country/world having been bought up because of the appeal of being from a dry climate.

Do you have a breakdown of registered CS's by DSO? How many originally went to AZ?

You're right. Arizona must be a transit state. I also noticed a lot of cars in New Mexico. Maybe they got there from Arizona? This is 40 years of migration of up to 4,000 cars. But, California still has the most by far. I guess no one here wants to leave....<sarcastic> LOL!! :p

I DO have the numbers for DSO, but, alas, it's for the book to reveal. I can say that it was in the (low) "few hundreds". It's also wierd, because Arizona has (I think) the oldest Mustang Club in the country.

Thanks for responding,
Paul N.

Canuck CSter

Will this book of knowledge include #'s for engine codes remaining also...hopeing so....

DR

vman

Hi.Just curious.I noticed 11 Cars on the sites registryand only 7 that were quoted for Australia. Does that mean not every one on the registry here have submited there cars for your new book.Hope you got mine at least.

sam

Paul, thanks for the info.............interesting to note I'm apparently the only 1 in New Hampshire but was surprised to see there are California Specials in MA and CT.
Sam

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

vman said:
Hi.Just curious.I noticed 11 Cars on the sites registryand only 7 that were quoted for Australia. Does that mean not every one on the registry here have submited there cars for your new book.Hope you got mine at least.

Hi Vman!

Yes, you are right. Although the webmaster has provided me with the sites' registry info, there are some loose ends. These numbers are not "hard numbers", but a very good reference.

Bob Teets has been very good at finding cars, most on EBAY, and tracking the VIN info (and sometimes data plates). This is a long and tedius job, but we're making progress.

I know that a few of the GT/CSs there in OZ have been converted to RH drive. I just wonder how so many made it over there (other than for the US Military).

Paul N.

PFSlim

I was shocked at 18 for Missouri. I know of at least 3 or more cars that are not in the registry that are here, not accounted for.

Paul

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

That is why we need all of your help finding and getting cars registered.

I've got about 1100 total, but there must be at least another 900-1500 GT/CS cars still out there, not registered.

Spread the word.

thanks!

Paul.

PFSlim

Paul N.

Doing what I can. However, hard to hold their hand to get them to register. I have even offered to do it for them. I do believe that some folks don't want their car in the registry. Why?? Who knows.

Paul

Ketil Ertner

Hi Paul, i am positive that there are 3 CS in Denmark.. and 1 more is on the way from US. All 4 are in very good conditions. I have heard of 1 more under restoration. My CS is in the register, i will check the others.. the owners are all members of Mustang Club Denmark.
Ketil.

69convert

there should be at least 2 CS's and 1 hCS in NC in your registry. I pretty sure I sent the info on mine.....
I know of 4 CS's and 1 HCS between Winston-Salem and Raliegh

Kim Hansen

Ketil Ertner said:
Hi Paul, i am positive that there are 3 CS in Denmark.. and 1 more is on the way from US. All 4 are in very good conditions. I have heard of 1 more under restoration. My CS is in the register, i will check the others.. the owners are all members of Mustang Club Denmark.
Ketil.

Hello from Copenhagen by Kim Hansen, member of this club GT/CS USA.
It is true that there are 4 cars in Denmark fore the moment. And as Ketil said. One more is coming soon. My car is now ready to go fore 2007.

Kim Hansen:smile:

68 GTCS

Thanks for the info Paul,

I think David is on to something, Thats alot of cars for Colorado (43). We need to get together, that would make for a great photo op., and conversation. Count me in!

Kevin
Colorado---68 GTCS

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hi Kim, and Welcome!

I need to double check my files from Europe, but if the other two Swedish GT/CSs aren't registered, they can send me their VIN, Data plate info, options, photos (on a CD if possible, but prints are OK) and anything else of interest, to:

Paul M.Newitt
GT/CS Registry
P.O. Box 2245
Davis, CA 95617 USA

Thanks!!

Paul M. Newitt

harryz

Cal Specials in "paradise"

Aloha Paul,

I see that you have 3 Cal Specials here in Hawaii. I know I have two of them in the registry. Would it be possible to get some contact info for the other GT/CS owner? One of my cars is a parts car, so perhaps s/he might be interested in some of the parts. If this is possible, please send me a personal message.

Mahalo,

Harry Z.