• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Wheel / Brake Noise

Mosesatm

I've got a noise coming from one of the wheels that goes away as soon as I touch the brakes. It's a short loud medium-pitched chirp that seems to occur with each revolution of whichever wheel. My first thought was that it may be a warped rotor but the brakes work fine, and I can't spin the front wheels fast enough to make the same noise.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

rvrtrash

Is your wheel bearing tightened correctly? I would guess that or the rotor.

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Marty, where are the anti rattle springs?

Steve, Do you think the wheel bearings may be too loose or two tight?

robert campbell

Loose wheel bearings. anti rattle springs are those weird little clippee thingees that squeeze in with the pads when you slide them in....

Is that clear as mud??

Rob

Ruppstang

Arlie you can see it in this shot at the top of caliper behind the rotor. Sorry I do not know how to make arrows. Marty

Attachments

• HCS Suspenstion 006.JPG
    HCS Suspenstion 006.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Got it.
After reading Rob's highly detailed description I kinda sorta figured that's what we were talking about but the photo helps a lot.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Well, I may have found the problem.

After I pulled off the passenger side wheel I saw that one of the "weird little clippee thingees that squeeze in with the pads" was missing so I figured this was going to be an easy 5-minute fix.:rofl:

One of the voices in my head kept telling me that there was probably a good reason why the clippee thingee was missing but I've learned over the years that ignoring the voices in my head is usually the best thing I can do for myself and for society in general so I found a clippee thingee in my bin of brake parts, and a bolt, and forged ahead with enthusiasm and determination.

The voice was right this time.:mad:

<sigh> One of the FOs (former owners) broke off the bolt that holds the clippee thingee onto the spindle. I can probably drill it out with it on the car but I don't have one of those nifty lifts like Rob has in his garage so I think the prudent thing to do is remove the spindle work on it on the bench.

Old cars are so much fun!!!!!

franklinair

Yep. You can drill it out and use one of those E-Z Outee thing-ama-jigs. (Quoted from Rob's Technical Term Encyclopedia):eek:

Neil

robert campbell

FO was driving my GNS with one of the main boltee thingees that holds the pad squeezeee thingee to the large bracketee between them there upper and lower arms that go up and down.

Pads were paper thin on one end and nice and thick on the other. Loss of main bolltee let squeezer device cock sideways..... Not to mention ditch or centerline was tough to stay between when large pedal next to the go fast one was depressed.

But all the "weird little clippeee thingeees" were there!!!

Ruppstang

Rob,
You are way to technical for me can you explain that in laymen's terms!
Marty