• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Radiator mystery

Powell

We just returned from out annual trip to Reno for Hot August Nights. Great show as always but too big to see all the cars. We did see a White/black stripe car in the Grand Sierra parade but that was the only other CS that we saw.
Any way, our 68 CS had an overheating problem while there and replaced the thermostat first, only to discover that the radiator also needed replacing. Not a pleasant job on a Sunday with pouring rain and thunder showers.
So getting a radiator was very educational for me about my car. Summit Racing had the radiator for our 302, but when we got it the lower outlet was on the passanger side. Ours was on the drivers side. Checked with NAPA and think we discouvered it was a 390 radiator. Looking for a lower hose the folks at O'Raileys were the first ones to ask if it had Air conditioning...it does and their hose worked.

Now my question to the experts here is, Did all Air conditioned 302's come with a 390 radiator? It seems to me that would also need a different water pump. Maybe my car has had some radical changes in the cooling system somewhere in it's past but the previous owner was mostly into returning the car to stock, so I am confused.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Ralph

DeadStang

All A/C cars had the heavy duty capacity radiators, but this is not the same as a 390 radiator as you have found out. Dimensionally they are the same and the top tanks look the same, but the lower outlet is on the opposite side as that of a small block, IIRC. To use a 390 radiator if you have one sitting around and handy, you just have to swap waterpumps and you're in business. Same cooling capacity. Your 390 radiator, if it's a re-cored stock Ford piece, might actually be worth a little more $$$ than the '68 A/C model to someone who's looking for one.

franklinair

My 302 w/AC has the lower outlet on the passenger side. It is the large/hvy duty radiator for A/C cars. (3 row core)

Neil

OP
OP
Powell

Powell

Thank you deadstang for the info. My current set up has the water outlet from the water pump on the drivers side of the motor. The radiator bottom hose is also on the drivers side.

Was the heavy duty radiator, And water pump for the A/C different than that of a non A/C car?

I am still confused , do I have a Heavy duty radiator and water pump? I thought the standart set-up for a 302 had both the water pump and radiator inlets on the passanger side of the motor. Do I possibly have a water pump and radiator for a 390? Are the water pumps interchangable for a 302 and a 390?

Sorry for my pea brain questions but I don't know where to turn except you guys on the web-site.

Neil thanks for the imput, that was my understanding for the Heavy duty radiator AND water pump inlets are on the passanger side of the motor.

Ralph

robert campbell

Ralph,
302 and 390 waterpumps will not swap. Later model 302's had a drivers side discharge waterpump. So your car had a 390 (big block) radiator with a late model 302 waterpump. So you could have used a big block (390 428) radiator.

Now to switch to a pasenger side discharge waterpump on your 302, you will need a timing case cover from an early 289 or 302.

You may have an early 302 with a late model timing cover, or a complete late model 302.

Rob

CougarCJ

In 1970 they standardized the 302/351 radiators with the introduction of the 351C engine. They would have a left hand outlet.

Ralph, if your 302 engine has a 4 bolt crank pulley, it is most likely a 1970 or later engine.

franklinair

My '68 Conv., 302, non A/C has the same setup as my C/S w/A/C. (water pump outlet & radiator outlet on passenger side).

Neil

OP
OP
Powell

Powell

Many thanks to all of you. You're AMAZING with all the knowledge. Scott the engine does have a 4 bolt crank pulley, so as you said it is a 70 or later 302. That would explain the left hand/drivers side water pump and radiator inlet.
Again thank all of you for your imput.

Ralph