• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Special code on engine head?

Stacey Enderle

I remember when the engine (289) was rebuilt, one of the heads was cracked on it. I vaguely remember that this specific head had an "R" code on it, I'm not certain, but I remember I tried in vain to find another like it and was unable to. So I finally had to find a set of heads from a regular 289 to install instead. It sticks in my head that it was originally supposed to have headers put on it, but never did. Can anyone fill me in on that at all?

Stacey

rvrtrash

In addition to the regular casting number and date codes, Ford heads have a letter cast into them to show the cc's (cubic centimeters) of volume of the combustion chamber. I would have to check to see if one of my reference books lists the different ones but I know my engine building guy had a book that listed them, and I think it was the Keith Black catalog. It was how we figured out which piston I wanted to use for the compression ratio I was aiming for. You might try a dedicated engine shop in your area and see if they have something similar.

Steve