• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

vinyl paint

WLM

I have a CS with a parchment bench seat ( page 2 in gallery, red/parchment ) Will vinyl paint work on upholstry? My original seats are in good condition, I tried to clean then with no success. I thought to try the vinyl paint on them, it worked real good on the arm rests,visors and kick panels. I was concerned the vinyl paint might start to peel off the seats, any ideas?
Thanks, Bill

68gt390

Bill,
I had to redo my seats just after I bought my car due to the body shop that had done the body work had left the seats in the car and they were covered with gray primer paint.
I used the vinyl paint and it worked very well up until I redid the dash and dash pad. Once I painted the dash the seats just looked very faded. I think it was because of the amount of grey primer on the seats. It is worth a try. If I had left the dash as was and not repainted it I think the seats would have looked fine. My interior is dark red. I finally just recovered the seats and now they match perfectly. If you look in the gallery page 3, under Don Potter pictures #9 & 10, you can see how faded the seats looked after I redid the dash and dash pad. That's why I just recovered the seats.

Don ;)

hookedtrout

I have used regular old Krylon paint on vinyl with great results. Never tried the vinyl paint and I've never painted seats. I did paint the console pad on my Tuffy Console in the Jeep, that was 2-3 years ago and it's held up great so far and the Jeep gets plenty of abuse. The pad is over about an inch and a half of foam so it's pretty flexible and it's never peeled or cracked at all.

Hook

rvrtrash

The key to using vinyl paint is to have whatever you're painting super clean. If you do this, I think the paint would eventually wear thin in places but shouldn't peel. I'd take the seats out of the car and clean them with the hottest water you can get with dish soap in it. Wear rubber gloves so you can handle the heat. Go over it a couple of times. It's a lot of work, but the only way you have a chance of it working.
Steve

case12

I agree with Steve. I have done my own hog ring upholstering of torn seats, and it can make your hands really sore. I ended up only doing the driver seat that was torn. I thought I would do all the seats, but I found that taking them out and giving them a good scrubbing with a stiff brush, and a toothbrush (one you dont plan to use again :p) worked great! The old seats were almost as good looking as the one I upholstered. I used the orange cleaner (like 409) and warm water to wash it down - a couple of times, and then applied Armor All. Dont scrub the seaming too hard or it may fray the threads (I did this in a couple spots). Casey