• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Engine Block Stampings

Calspecialdreamer

Brandon, (gang too!)

Here are the pics I promised. The 1st is a frontal shot of my 68, 289, coupe. You can faintly see the intake manifold casting number in front of the carb, behind the distributor. Next is a side view from the drivers side of the carb. You can see the intake casting in front of the carb and the firing order behind the carb. Finally, my last picture is where your engine stamp should be on a 289. Where the blue ends and the silver begins is the engine matching up to the transmission. You may notice the number on the right side of the picture, just before the blue touches the silver. This is the back of the intake manifold. The intake manifold sets between your valve covers. This shot is right behind the carb, from the front.

Now as has been discussed, maybe the 302 block is stamped in the same area. I’m not sure where the 6 cylinder is stamped, even Paul is not sure where the 390 stamping is, and I have only seen 1 428 CJ, and I didn’t see well enough to find the engine stamping. Hope this helps and hopefully this hasn’t been discussed to death. But as many of you know, mustangs were produced at a fast rate and most anything on the self could have found its way on them and not everything is the same on them. Especially the 68’s due to the strike at Ford!

Attachments

• Mvc-006f.jpg
    Mvc-006f.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 25

If anybody is interested, I have pictures of my block with the heads removed and the partial VIN stamp clearly visible and now of the bare block that was hot tanked and cleaned up with the casting number and date stamp. I don't have a web site, so I can email the pictures or if someone could host them--?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Deadstang, you should be able to upload the images to the forums using the "Attach:" feature when you post or reply to a post.

BrandonB

I'm sorry...but I cant see them very well I'm really dumb :-\ would it be possible to circle them in paint or something? I'm truly sorry. :-[

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Brandon,
The pics aren't that clear but I will see what I can do. Deadstang may have better shots.

Deadstang, if you can't post the pics, email them to me and I will post them for you. Check my name for the correct email address....

BrandonB

not like litteraly paint the block I meant MSpaint =P even though I may be the only one that thought about that

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Not positive, but CalGTCSdreamer is this the location of the VIN?

Attachments

• blockvintest.jpg
    blockvintest.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 29

BrandonB

AH HAH! I found those suckers do I match it to my VIN#? cus the block said (im not sure if its 66 or 88)
8R168827 or 8R166627 I hope its not 666 =(
My VIN# is 8R01C168927 so if thats it what do I compare to?

68sunlitgold

Jon,
that is the correct location, and BrandonB, the engine number should match your VIN #, take a closer look at the engine stamp. If your VIN is 168927, the two block stamps you said 168827 or 166627 are not the same but the numbers are VERY DIFFICULT to read so look again. I think they are the same just because the last two digits are "27" and the ones that don't match could be misread, ie "8 for a 9".
Doug

BrandonB

I'm sitting here a school right now just finished a final so once I get home I'll check my engine numbers again, thank you guys so much for helping me ;D

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Brandon,

Doug is right on the mark. I really had to look HARD at mine (several times), but the last 6 numbers on my VIN match the 6 numbers on my block. 8's can easily be mistaken for 9's or 6's. If I were a betting man, I believe yours match! Another bonus find for you!

BrandonB

Guess what guys... :(

Thats the real engine under her hood! WOHOO!! ;D :) ;)

Yeah I had you guys fooled at first =P

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

You didn't fool us, we are veterans! Congratulations on a numbers matching car! solid investment bro!

BrandonB

Thanks guys I'm definately leaving everything under the hood alone now, unless its to clean her up =)