• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Modifying an 07 GT/CS

hookedtrout

With all the talk about likes and dislikes of the new GT/CS for the 07 Model year I want to hear everyone's opinions on modifying one.

For example if someone was to go out and buy a new CS and bring it home and get some late model Ford parts to make it as close to an original CS how would that be perceived?

Some ideas;
Hood pins
Rear tail that matches up closer to the original
Tail Lights
Should a person do that with a regular 07 rather than modifying and original 07 CS?
Would it hurt the value of the new CS long term?
Is there any long term value in the new CS if it is mass produced?

Food for thought just thought it would be interesting to see how others would feel and see if there is anyone that wants a new CS but wants it as close to the original as possible.

I'm sure it's going to happen and it will be fun to see the first few that pop up.

Cory

Mosesatm

The Foose Mustang has some nice features, too.

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

That Foose car looks like an Eleanor, ick! I think Tim should try to draw a good rendition of what the new GT/CS should look like.

P

PNewitt

Just as an FYI--there IS room at the grille to move it back enough to add foglights on pedistals. The original grille could be replaced with something "custom" with a rectangular mesh design--maybe a '67 grille cut and reconfigured.

I've thought of adding the rear script--but it's too large for the scale of the late model, and it would look funny.

You can't really put a "GT/CS" logo on the side scoop -- there's not enough room on the width of that scoop.

I'd use something other than the Bullitt wheels. Probably the new Shelby 10-spoke (#67) version wheels.

It would have to have a blower, too. Something to give a Corvette or Porsche "a bad day".

BTW--I really am NOT a fan of anything that Foose does.

Paul N.

Mustanger

Mosesatm said:
The Hertz car is a great start.

If anyone checks out the thread on the new Hertz car, you'll see that it's a 4.6 V8 with mods to the intake and exhaust, all from Ford Racing (there's also a handling package from Ford Racing thrown in there). These mods can easliy be added to the new GT/CS, and once again, history would repeat itself in that GT/CS owners could be mod'ing their cars w/ Shelby add-on's like they did in '68 ...

rvrtrash

And back to the original question, I've stated before in another thread, I'm seriously thinking of buying a used '05 and doing some tasteful mods myself and building my own "CS", however- seeing the Hertz car, if I could find one for sale when they're done, I'd snap that up and WILL be finding one to rent for the day somewhere.
Steve

Mosesatm

PNewitt said:
I really am NOT a fan of anything that Foose does.

Paul N.

Ditto.

Usually just big chrome gangster wheels and loud paint.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

In reality I don't think the Hertz car would be a good car to modify into a CS. From what I've read the Hertz car is a limited production car and if that is true then the Hertz car will have it's own history and value and I think if you buy a Hertz car it should be kept as original as possible. I think it looks great anyway. I'm with Steve on getting an 05 or 06 used Mustang and make it into a CS. Personally I'd like an 08 so it's a 68 and an 08, that being the case I'll have to wait awhile so I can pick up a used one.

Cory

AZ68

hookedtrout said:
Personally I'd like an 08 so it's a 68 and an 08, that being the case I'll have to wait awhile so I can pick up a used one.

Cory

I agree with you completely. I was actually hoping that Ford would wait until '08 to release the new GT/CS, but since I'm not crazy about the new style anyway, I guess it doesn't matter when it comes out!:tongue:

P

PNewitt

If you look closely, the Hertz car is basically a GT/CS body mod with a stronger engine and Ford Racing suspension. Both the Cs and the Hertz cars are lowered 1" (stock).

Those 500 GT-H cars will go for BIG bucks, once they are "done" at Hertz....that is, unless every Hertz exec and employee doesn't get one first!

I think once the GT/CS is out there on the street--and one goes by you with that "WWWAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa" sound, you might get goosebumps, then want one.

Watch a lot of folks get black '06s, and add gold stripes.

BTW--yes, the Kelsey Hayes wheel was used in '67, but late in the model year, the (later type) ten-spoke was used on the '67 Shelbys. i.e. Little Red, late in production, had ten spokes.

Paul N.

Mosesatm

PNewitt said:
BTW--yes, the Kelsey Hayes wheel was used in '67, but late in the model year, the (later type) ten-spoke was used on the '67 Shelbys. i.e. Little Red, late in production, had ten spokes.

Paul N.

Thanks Paul. The below stuff is from the www.1968cobra.com website and it talks about 6 different versions of the 10-spokes!!!

Basically, I think the repros have the valve stems facing out while the originals had the stems tucked between the spokes, kinda sorta.

THE 10 SPOKE PAGE

Today 10 spoke wheels are very popular on 1968 Shelbys. There have been several variations of the wheel. Shelby continued to make the wheel after 1970. Not many cars recieved factory 10 spoke wheels. Only three cars have been documented leaving the factory with 10 spoke wheels.

I spoke with one original owner about 10 spoke wheels. Dan purchased a new GT500KR in the summer of 1968. He told me, 10 spokes were not available from the dealership.

I have installed 10 spokes on several cars. Often times there are clearance problems with disc brake calipers on 1968s.

The Best 10 spoke Wheel Chart

Wheel Spoke Design Valve Stem Location Lug Nut hole design
version 1 tapered on rim countersunk
version 2 tapered between spokes flat face
version 3 tapered on rim flat face
version 4 tapered between spokes countersunk
version 5 straight on rim flat face
version 6 straight on rim countersunk

This wheel is listed on the chart below as "version 1". The spokes have a slight taper to them and the valve stem is on the rim. The holes for the lug nuts countersunk. This wheel matches some early 1968 press photographs.

This wheel is listed on the chart below as "version 2". The wheel has a "S7MS-1007-D" part number cast into the back. The spokes have a slight taper to them and the valve stem is between the spokes. The holes for the lug nuts are flat. The lug nut uses a washer behind it.

I will post other pictures as they become available.

WARNING: Do not mix lug nuts. If your wheel has a flat lug nut hole, only use a lug with a corresponding flat bottom.

If you have a wheel design not listed in the chart, please let me know. A picture would be helpful.

P

PNewitt

Thanks, Arlie for the great info!

The ten-spoke is a great looking wheel on the CS. I saw a beautiful red CS in the Bay Area with ten-spokes cruising along on Hwy 80.

Paul N.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

PNewitt said:
Thanks, Arlie for the great info!

The ten-spoke is a great looking wheel on the CS. I saw a beautiful red CS in the Bay Area with ten-spokes cruising along on Hwy 80.

Paul N.

I agree, probably my favorite wheel on a CS.

Cory