• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tall storys

Ruppstang

I went to my 35th class reunion last night. I was talking to a couple of guys that had 71 Tornios, one had a super cobra jet. He said that his speedometer was a 120 mph and he could bury it he figured was going almost 200mph. Funny how those storys get better over the years especialy with a few beers. Back then I had a 67 Mustang GTA with a A code 4V 289. It would run flat out just about 120. Does anyone know how fast a 68 Mustang would have run with the stock R code super cobra jet? No tall storys please! Marty

CougarCJ

I went to my 35th class reunion last night. I was talking to a couple of guys that had 71 Tornios, one had a super cobra jet. He said that his speedometer was a 120 mph and he could bury it he figured was going almost 200mph. Funny how those storys get better over the years especialy with a few beers. Back then I had a 67 Mustang GTA with a A code 4V 289. It would run flat out just about 120. Does anyone know how fast a 68 Mustang would have run with the stock R code super cobra jet? No tall storys please! Marty

Sorry Marty, a Super Cobra Jet 428 in a 1968 Mustang is a myth. The drag pack option was available starting in 1969.

Mathematically a 3.91:1 or 4.30:1 axle ratio would have a much lower top end than a 3.00.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Ok I dont know my later Mustangs that well. What about a 68 1/2 R code CJ ? And assuming road gears.

Midnight Special

Sorry Marty, a Super Cobra Jet 428 in a 1968 Mustang is a myth. The drag pack option was available starting in 1969.

Mathematically a 3.91:1 or 4.30:1 axle ratio would have a much lower top end than a 3.00.

...Such the "killjoy" Scott!
Here (with help of Photoshop and saying my speedometer reading "65mph" had spun around twice) I was gonna' top Marty's beer story... Dang you!!!
;-)

Attachments

• 68fly.jpg
    68fly.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 54

robert campbell

I had a 1968 Shelby GT-500 KR. C6 auto with 3.5 open rear end. I would think about 25 diameter tires. No sure how accurate the speedo was, but at 5,700 RPM it said 130miles an hour. My guess is it was a bit slow, and this car would go 140 or 150. You could feel acceleration at 120 whn I mashed it fully in.

There was beer involved, but my guess is this is about it. 200 MPH in a 1971 429 Tor-t-ino? Not likely. Especially with 3.91 or 4.30. I had a friend with a 4 speed 429 Torino. I would bet it would run out of RPM at about 130 on stock tires.

Rob

Mosesatm

Since most old Mustangs are as aerodynamic as a brick it takes some serious horsepower to get over 140mph.

Here are some rough, rough, rough numbers.
MPH = HP
100 = 133
110 = 177
120 = 230
130 = 300
140 = 375
150 = 540
160 = 650

Any faster than that and your front wheels are off the ground so it really doesn't matter

Last edited:

somethingspecial

There was beer involved said:
Rob, are you saying you got behind the wheel with enough beer on board you don't remember how fast you were going? Wow, Washington State must have different laws. NOT IN MY TOWN PAL!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Mike

Midnight Special

Rob, are you saying you got behind the wheel with enough beer on board you don't remember how fast you were going? Wow, Washington State must have different laws. NOT IN MY TOWN PAL!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Mike

...Hate to break it to you Mike, but I did multiple "triple digit" passes on a sprint to get coffee early this AM. With about 400 miles on the 390 and everything running good, I couldn't resist. 'Rapid, smooth acceleration & gentle decell after a few hill climbing "ring setting" runs over the past week... She's getting better & better!

No worries though... Knowing that she "can" do it means I won't need to keep proving it ;-)

Attachments

• IM001791.jpg
    IM001791.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 35

somethingspecial

Two things, one, I was just ribbing Rob, Made a few beer involved test runs myself in my earlier days, and two, I too sometimes feel the "Need for Speed". LOL With the full moon, just watch out for the deer and bears. They like to run right in front of you. Is it running better now? Mike

robert campbell

No prob Mike!!! This was back in 1975!! A couple beers were involved, not smart, and I was shaking a bit afterward! Never have liked speed as much as acceleration.

This was back in the day when caught cruising Bremerton was nothing more that watching the law enforcement take your beer!!!

Rob be smarter now!!! Drink AFTER driving and done for the day!

rvrtrash

Here's a comparison. 1972 Mach 1, 351HO, built to 425hp. It had ram air so you might be able to add 10hp at top end. Front end lowered 1", rear end lowered 1/2", front and rear spoilers, KYB gas shocks. The speedo was numbered to 120 and had equally spaced hash marks up to what would be 160. At 145mph there wasn't to much left before red line and the car would start to feel like it was floating. I wasn't airborne or losing traction or control, it just felt different. I pretty much kept it under 135mph. I feel the speedo was at least close because I was radared in a straight at 130 once. Jason's 1000hp GT40 will do 200 but there is no way I believe a 71 Torino would do it.

Steve

Midnight Special

This was back in the day when caught cruising Bremerton was nothing more that watching the law enforcement take your beer!!!

Those were the days... 'Got pulled over one time in '79 with a short lecture about speeding, but mostly was told by the officer that he felt I was running too rich on the mixtures, followed by a lecture on carb adjustment!

CougarCJ

I figured it out. 200 kph (kilometers per hour) is equivalent to 124.28 mph.

Plausible as they say on Mythbusters.

Either that or the guy was calculating in metric hours.
whistle.gif

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

This was a fun thread. I figuared that when I mentioned beer I would get some tall tails. Tim I never doubted your car could turn the speedometer over twice but I think it was Renee driving! Arlie, Steve, Scott and Rob I konw you guys are right. I used to have a Cessna that added a 30 HP bigger engine in it only added 15 MPH. Tim was that officer Mike that gave you that tuning lecture? Steve I am curious How much it cost you to get radared in at 13O? And Rob the dark master of G-force I hope to get a ride with you after you get the steering fixed! You only have a little more than a month. Marty

admin

Staff member
Administrator
In my youth I took my 390 powered '67 Cougar up to around 140... just for a minute. It was shaky, but not uncontrollable. (easy to say since I didn't crash!) And this was hardly a screamer engine. It was rebuilt by an 18 yr old who didn't know much about what he was doing (that would be me).

But 200 mph sounds a bit over the top... like maybe a 6 pack over.

Midnight Special

In my youth I took my 390 powered '67 Cougar up to around 140... just for a minute. It was shaky, but not uncontrollable. (easy to say since I didn't crash!) And this was hardly a screamer engine. It was rebuilt by an 18 yr old who didn't know much about what he was doing (that would be me).

...Obviously, whatever you did, you did well Jon. 'Talk about "guardian angels" with you doing the wrenches:) Personally, I could see taking Rob or someone else's build up to 140, but never my own. ha,ha...

Yes Marty, this was a fun and inspiring thread. I'm off to get a six-pack, rent "Bullitt" or maybe even "Smokey & the Bandit" and go do some more test driving ;-)

Mike - When did you say you were on duty??

J.Bart

hey mike ,
what's it mean when someone say's "you drive better when you have been drinking"?