• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New detailing photo Autolite Alternator

390cs68rcode

I got points taken off at the Autorama show for my crusty original Autolite alternator. New one came in today and on it went.

For the 390 owners see the bend in the snorkel (near the base) towards the front of the car? The correct ones slants towards the rear of the car. Found a (expensive) NOS one on Ebay, should be here in a few days and on it will go.

vbpicgallery.php

GTCSMustang

I think that's the "S"-tube. The snorkle mounts to the aircleaner.

Scott

68gt390

Scott;
Your right, I'm half asleep. Will have to go look at my snorkle and see what I've got. Too many things going on at one time. Trying to order parts for the motor and trying to answer stuff on here. Time to go back to sleep. Thanks again. :icon_redf

Jason; Disregard my first post. As Scott pointed out I got the wrong part. Have attached new photo's. These photo's are what mine looks like.

Don

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

See the part number on this snorkel? This is the exact part number that was on mine before I repainted it. It is from a Cougar See the forward slanting base?
13_1.JPG

0e_1.JPG

Last edited:

68gt390

I'm not changing mine. That's what the car came with so I'm leaving it on. Besides, it's got the correct part # on it. They question it, I'll show them the part # then we'll see the debate start. :eek:

Don

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

68gt390 said:
I'm not changing mine. That's what the car came with so I'm leaving it on. Besides, it's got the correct part # on it. They question it, I'll show them the part # then we'll see the debate start. :eek:

Don

what part number is on yours?

68gt390

Yep, I know what you mean. I feel sorry for myself to. :icon_no: It's a tuff job but, who better than me to do it.

Don

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

GTCSMustang said:
Jason,

So slanting forward is Cougar and backward is Mustang?

Scott

backward is Mustang, forward is Cougar and supposedly a bunch of early 70's trucks. That's what the FE guys said.

GTCSMustang

Jason,

You should just buy a 1968 GT500 or GT350. No snorkle issues. Although if you buy a KR, you need a different snorkle than the 390/428's.

Scott

Attachments

• MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Scott

I hear ya but why risk driving around a 100k++ car that could be difficult to repair if hit or stolen? I drive my cars too much to do that.

how about I drive your yellow car? sounds like a deal to me.

68gt390

Jason;
Looks like you've already got it. Talked to KAR today and they said the same thing. Curves to the left (back of engine bay) Mustang. Curves to the right (front of engine bay) Cougar. I've got both types. :tongue:

Air cleaner on left is what was on my GT Coupe (for cougar), the one on the right is what was on my CS (mustang). I've been using the one for the cougar on the CS for the past several months. By the way neither one has a part # on them. That sucks.

Don

Attachments

• DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Don

if you want a matching pair I will trade you the rearward slanting one you have for a forward slanting one I have. No need to have a non matching pair.

:grin:

ps:

if you really want to trade let me know.

twoclassics

Snorkel

Jason, Isn't the NOS one you bought forward slanting which would make it for a cougar, which is the way this is being explained, I seen that one on ebay, was looking hard but decided I have the correct one also with the part number on it and that was good enough. Also wasn't ford notorious for interchanging these parts between cars, if it was for a cougar they would also use the same part number for a mustang and so on Also mines a C8WF the W being cougar and it points to the back so where does this go now Chuck

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

I could be wrong but I think the 2 bbl 390 snorkels points forward (like yours). Does it have a part number on it?

the 390GT one I got points toward the rear of the car.