• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Orange Pumpkins

Mosesatm

Every restored differential I've seen has been painted orange but I recently read that it is supposed to be red oxide.

Does anyone know the true correct color?

Thanks

Attachments

• 8 inch rear.jpg
    8 inch rear.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Rear End Colors.jpg
    Rear End Colors.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_0075.jpg
    100_0075.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

franklinair

IIRC, MCA rules say "red primer". All restored 3rd members I've seen have been red oxide. Mike, Marty or Jeff would know for sure.

Neil

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Neil,
I think you're correct.
Ford using orange would be blasphemous.

franklinair

Also, I think it requires special locknuts & washers. Brassy/copper or cad in color. Its been a long time since I did this specific detailing.:embarass:

Neil

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Does this photo show correct colors for spring, spring supports, U-bolts, etc?

Attachments

• 128475109921.jpg
    128475109921.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 108

somethingspecial

The Leaf Springs, U bolts, and Spring plates and rear shackles should be natural. The springs should have a colored stripe/stripes. The shocks are red, I believe the shocks should be Semi-Gloss black with a red paint dob on them about the size of a 50 cent piece. I have seen Yellow Paint on the exposed threads of the U bolts on unrestored cars, and duplicated it on mine. Jeff Speegle told me he had not seen this before. Unknown which is correct. I will refer this to Jeff Speegle, but I have seen the floor board above the rear end on several cars sprayed Black with Sound Deadener. Jeff, can you confirm. Mine is black.

I also noticed there is no black sealer around the Seat Belt backing plates. Also I think the front leaf spring bolts are incorrect. They look to long. They should recess into the chassis from inboard and the hole filled with a rubber plug.

I hope I didn't overstep the request.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Mike,
That helps a lot.
All three of my cars had the undercoating above the rear axle.
Nice catch on the front bolts. They are definitely wrong.

Ruppstang

I also noticed there is no black sealer around the Seat Belt backing plates. Also I think the front leaf spring bolts are incorrect. They look to long. They should recess into the chassis from inboard and the hole filled with a rubber plug.

I hope I didn't overstep the request.[/QUOTE]

The spring bolts do not look right because that is a 1967. You have to be careful copying photos of other's detail work because the three assembly plants did many things differently and there were many running changes. So you want to find a car that was built in the same plant at near the same time as yours. That car is best a unrestored because you do not know if the restorer just looked at photos of any car that looked close to theirs.
I understand that Kevin Marti is soon make the 68 build sheets available. That will be a great help on getting many details correct on one's own car.

Neil is correct in that Ford used red oxide on many cast parts right after casting. Then they machined the part so places on them were bare metal.
Red oxide primer soils very easly so I have been using Rust Olem redwood satin enamel because it is very close in color and much easier to clean.
I'll atach a picture or two of the HCS but remember it is a work in progress.
Hope this helps. Marty

Attachments

• 68 HCS restoration 008.JPG
    68 HCS restoration 008.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 68 HCS restoration 007.JPG
    68 HCS restoration 007.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 62
  • 68 HCS Restoration 006.JPG
    68 HCS Restoration 006.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 68 HCS restoration 005.JPG
    68 HCS restoration 005.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 68 HCS restoration 004.JPG
    68 HCS restoration 004.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 58
  • 68 HCS restoration 003.JPG
    68 HCS restoration 003.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 68 HCS springs 001.JPG
    68 HCS springs 001.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 57

J_Speegle

Does this photo show correct colors for spring, spring supports, U-bolts, etc?

I take it that all of these are taken of other peoples cars - as mentioned by Marty be very careful using other cars from other plants or years (even months off) as examples. I would add to this restored cars also since everyone is someone's interpretation of what they borrowed from someone else or thought their car should be.

As Mike mentioned the shocks should be semi=gloss black but the paint marking would differ depending on shat suspension was ordered on the car. =

The rear springs, spring clamps and plates are all the same tone, Originally these would look different since the type of metal and processes used to form them would have been different. Springs would have been a very dark gray from the heat treating and cooling process, the clamps would have been smooth, allot lighter in tone since they were smooth steel .

Dolly marks look very small in diameter to other San Jose cars I've seen.

ID marks/dots on the springs? That's not typical IMHO for San Jose by 67 - up

While we are at it the rear wheel wells look to be blacked out with sound deadener rather than correctly with body color . Would have been allot more overspray onto the floors and frame rail of body color and sound deadener

The third member was originally shot with some form of epoxy red oxide primer sealer that is typically fairly shinny - don't for get to get all the natural spots back to natural. Many owners miss the two smaller half circle ones in the bottom of the case as in your picture.

Your picture #2 from the first post shows those details

As for sound deadener above the rearend, I've rarely seen these. Maybe one or two out of two hundred cars but that year, that plant.

In some cases when checked it turned out not to be sound deadener but grease and grime collected there likely from a leaky pinion seal that threw oil on the floor in that area. pretty easy to tell when you scrap through the layer.

Another possibility (like the firewall to floor seam above the front of the trans) is that we have seen where workers applied a sloppy coat over a seam if the gap was really wide as a result of not getting everything lined up well before the panels were welded. This reduced the chance of water getting into the area and leaking or rusting.

We see a few show cars with this added - borrowed from 68 Shelby's that were published in the 80-90's in national magazine. Like having every seam sealed :(

gt/csj4

red oxide on the pumkin portion, natural on the u-bolt flange and the special brass crush washer and bolts that bolt up to the housing. Also there are several "markings and dabs" that are supposed to be on not only the 3rd memeber but the axel housing as well

somethingspecial

try these pics.

These were taken from my car, please excuse the rust on the natural metal areas, these have since been cleaned up. As Jeff stated, don't forget the small cresent areas on the bottom area (7 and 5 o'clock position) that needs to be natural. I missed it when these pics taken. For those unaware, the metal "hood" bolted over the pinion area came on the 9" diffs. and had the rubber bumper bolted to the top of it. The 8" diffs did not have this piece. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Copy (5) of gtcs on rack 092.jpg
    Copy (5) of gtcs on rack 092.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Copy (5) of gtcs on rack 093.jpg
    Copy (5) of gtcs on rack 093.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Copy of gtcs on rack 110.jpg
    Copy of gtcs on rack 110.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Copy of gtcs on rack 115.jpg
    Copy of gtcs on rack 115.jpg