• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Taillight Question-check This Part Number..

68MustangHCS

I recently bought a pair of taillight bezels that have the black painted trim around it. They are supposed to be NOS taillight bezels.

Ford PART NUMBER on both boxes read C5SB-18449-A.

The actual part number on the taillight bezels read C5SZ-13489-A. They were sold as 65-TBird/Shelby taillight frames NOS MIB. I paid $175 for both including shipping.

My question is did I just get ripped off?

Why do the part numbers not match?

Do you think I got a repro part in a original ford box?

I know the number on the bezels are the same as what is supposed to be on the shelby/GTCS.

What does C5SB-18449-A belong to?

Does anyone know what C5SB-18449-A is?

C160223

Ford casting numbers cast or stamped on a part are not the actual part number for the part. What you have are correct. Ford used to supply both the 65 T-bird, and the 68 GT/CS & Shelby bezels at the same time. The only difference being the black paint added to the outer chrome for the T-bird application. Also the part number was different for each application. I think the Shelby's used S8MS and the GT/CS used C8ZZ ?? The all chrome bezel went obsolete a long time ago, and the part number was "changed up" to the T-bird number. As Jason said, take a rag and thinners and remove the black paint...

68gt390

As stated above you have the correct part. The GT/CS and 68 Shelby's used all chrome, Part #S8MS 13489-A which was discontinued in the early 70's and replaced with Part #C5SZ 13489-A (Thunderbird). This was done by Ford as a cost cutting measure. As Jason stated acetone or even paint remover will work to remove the black paint. Polish with 00 steel wool after paint is removed to restore the chrome shine. That's what I did with mine.

Don :wink:

hcsstang

While at the Youngstown MCA show I was talking to one of the judges and he pointed out that MCA states that the bezel is black by the old rules and they are changing the ruling. But he stated that Bob Perkings is not fully convinced that the black is removed.

390cs68rcode

hcsstang said:
While at the Youngstown MCA show I was talking to one of the judges and he pointed out that MCA states that the bezel is black by the old rules and they are changing the ruling. But he stated that Bob Perkings is not fully convinced that the black is removed.

bob perkins is wrong. CS's came with all chrome bezels.

390cs68rcode

hcsstang said:
I know that he's wrong but how do you convience him?

Paul's book? parts manual from 68 or 69. Not the later years books cause they probably changed the part numbers by then.

sometimes I realize people who THINK they know everything really don't and they won't change their minds.

rvrtrash

68MustangHCS said:
Ford PART NUMBER on both boxes read C5SB-18449-A.

What does C5SB-18449-A belong to?

Does anyone know what C5SB-18449-A is?

In trying to answer this part of your question, I looked up 18449 in the Ford MPC and found that number doesn't exist. That section deals with heater/air conditioning parts though. Could you have misread the number on the box?
Steve

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

Mistyped part number

rvrtrash said:
In trying to answer this part of your question, I looked up 18449 in the Ford MPC and found that number doesn't exist. That section deals with heater/air conditioning parts though. Could you have misread the number on the box?
Steve

No, I made a big mistake, I looked the boxes over again and they actually read
Ford PART NUMBER C5SZ-13489-A and state "ONE C5SZ-13489-A DOOR". Do you know what this part number fits Steve?

rvrtrash

As mentioned earlier, that is a 65 T-Bird part number and it will fit our cars. The black paint is the only difference. As a side note, my bezels were pitted around the edges, so I painted the edges black to cover it until I could get them rechromed this winter. They actually look pretty good with the white paint job and the only reason I'll put them back to all chrome is to keep it original.
Steve

P

PNewitt

What can I say? I have been doing this since about 1985. I have TONS of evidence that the GT/CS (and '68 Shelby) taillight frames are CHROME.

Here is how it works:

1965 Thunderbird, and 1969-70 Shelby-- black paint

1968 GT/CS and 1968 Shelby -- Chrome.

The Ford part, made to fit both versions, had both black and chrome screws for mounting. You took off the black paint, and used the chrome screws.

I wonder how and why MCA would leave all concours decisions to one person? Don't the registrars of the Mustang registries have any say? What about SAAC judging?

Whan I do this book this time, I'm going over the MCA rules with a fine tooth comb, and settle this nonsense. I want everyone with a GT/CS (or HCS) to be accurate, and fair and competitive with everyone else at car shows.

Paul N.

P

PNewitt

If I seem "passionate" about this fiasco, it's for you, those who have a lot of pride, money, time and hard work invested into your GT/CS or HCS, only to have a judge give you a bad mark for something that you know is right.

I'm getting a '68 Judging sheet from a member of MCA, and I'm going over it. I'm then going to itemize those things that make our cars unique--then go to MCA judges, and get this ironed out--once and for all...

Thanks for your support,

Paul N.

Perkchiro

Go gettem Paul!!! Thanks for standing up for whats right. You are absolutely correct about many GTCS owners sinking time and money to make our cars look correct. I will defer my decisions about restoration and details to you. YOU ARE THE EXPERT. Set those judges straight and we'll all fair better because of it. By the way, when I received my chrome tail light bezels, they were black around the edges. I called and argued with the supplier about it. He recanted his view and told me to just take laquer thinner and remove the black paint. That's exactly what you need to do to make your GTCS correct. No questions, no options, they are CHROME!!!

68Fan

I cannot thank the members of this site enough. With the knowledge and expertise derived from these discussions is not only useful when participating but it’s extremely beneficial for the restoration of a driver (my situation). Paul, a specific thank you for all your hard work and dedication in the preservation of our great automobiles.

Sean