• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Recoating the Taillight Buckets

J_Speegle

Thought I would offer this short post. I refinished the surface of the taillight buckets (silver shinny surfaces) the other day and was very happy with the results. Though it is a 69 Shelby taillight panel the practices would be the same/

1- Taillight panel was repaired as needed and primed after masking off the taillight "bucket" area

2- Back side of the taillight panel was recoat with a "pinkish" paint we had matched to the original gel coat

3- Surface of the buckets was sanded lightly to remove any minor imperfections, chipped or peeling original coating and to prepare it to accept the new coating

4- Masked and sprayed a new surface using a rattle can - applying three light coats from multiple angles so that all surfaces were well covered with a smooth finish.

Finished produce was pretty reflective and very close if not exactly like the original surface of the bucket. Hope this helps a couple of those that are facing this task

Taillightreflectorrespray1.jpg

Taillightreflectorrespray.jpg

Taillightreflectorresprayproduct.jpg

Product used was "Chrome Galvanize" made by Aervoe

OP
OP
J

J_Speegle

As a follow up I though this might be helpful though it does contain some 69 details that should be ignored by owners of 68 Cal Specials ;) So please excuse the black on the taillight panel and the taillight frames

Working this week getting the taillight panel prepped for installation.

On inspecting the panel (all ready painted) I found I should have checked the eight – per side, tread inserts before getting this far, but not really a problem.

Originally there were four steel thread inserts that were molded into the panel’s fiberglass to retain the taillight lens to the panel and four to retain the bezel to the panel.

Here is where I found one of the inserts was missing.
69Shelbyinsertmissing.jpg

Here is a look at an original insert in place
69ShelbyTLoriginalinsert.jpg

To fix I located some thread inserts designed for installing threads into wood products.
Brasthreadserts.jpg

Since they were too long for this purpose I ground off approx 1/8” then taped them to the end of a flat bald screw driver and started them into the original holes which still retained threads that the original inserts made.

69ShelbyinsertInstalling.jpg

69ShelbyinsertInstalling2.jpg

Originally the edges of the lens were “blacked out” so that light did not emit from the edges when the brakes or taillights were on.
69ShelbyTLedgepainting.jpg

69ShelbyTLlensblacked.jpg

Earlier the back side was restored by reproducing the original pinkish gelcoat. Painting of the exterior surface produced a little overspray as shown.

9F02M481897TLpanelbackside.jpg

Phosphate retaining screws hold the bezels to the panel – all done for the day.

9F02M481897TLPanelFInished.jpg

Diesel Donna

Thank you Jeff. Many years ago I had one panel that was black inside...so I lined it with the shiny side of aluminum foil! I guess I better do it up right huh?

OP
OP
J

J_Speegle

Thank you Jeff. Many years ago I had one panel that was black inside...so I lined it with the shiny side of aluminum foil! I guess I better do it up right huh?

The tin foil trick is something that was common on the cars from the 30-40's (with 6 volt systems) Think you'll get slightly better results with recoating the housing ;)