• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What's wrong with my C4 tranny?

anthony m

After setting for 27 years, I just installed the transmission in my 68 gt/cs. I replaced the imput and output seals, cleaned the torque converted collar and slid the converter onto the imput shaft until the 2 notches on the converter dropped into place. I then bolted the tranny up, hooked up the shifter linkage and was attempting to tighten the 4 converter bolts when I noticed that the flywheel and torque converter wouldn't turn more than an inch either direction. I got one converter nut on, but I can seem to rotate it any more. Any suggestions before I have to pull the tranny back out? Not any fun on the floor of my garage. The tranny apparently was fine when it was removed all those years ago. BTW, what size socket fits the crank pulley bolt?

Thanks
Anthony

Perkchiro

Got the starter installed? The flywheel won't turn if the starter is in place. You'll need to bump start it to rotate it and to access the torque converter bolts. Better performed with two people. One to bump the starter and one to watch the flywheel bolts rotate into view.

franklinair

I do it another way.
1. Starter removed. (even though the Bendix drive is not engaged)
2. Sparkplugs removed.
Then you should be able to turn the flywheel by hand or use a large screwdriver to wedge the flywheel around.

Neil

OP
OP
A

anthony m

I don't have the starter bolted up and all of the spark plugs are out of the engine. I have tried to use a long screw driver to turn the flywheel, but it only moves about an inch in either direction.??????????????

Anthony

OP
OP
A

anthony m

This helps a bunch! I think that the torque converter has some space to still go backwards. I haven't tried to start the car, just turn the engine over by hand. I hope I haven't damaged anything (pump gear).

Thanks,
Anthony

GTCS95616

Unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate and unbolt the transmission from the engine block. You do not need to extract the transmission completely from the vehicle.

See if the engine can be rotated by hand without the transmission attached. If so, check to make certain that the torque converter is properly seated in the front pump by rotating the converter while applying pressure to seat the converter into the transmission (do this for at least a few revolutions of the convertor). If you feel the converter fall into place, you know you have corrected the problem. If you did not feel the converter fall into place (and the engine turns freely without the transmission attached), pull the transmission all the way out of the car and try to re-install the converter again while it is on the garage floor. You may want to measure the depth of the converter in relationship to the bell housing before and after you pull the transmission all of the way out of the car so that you will get some assurance that the converter is seated properly before you reinstall it.

robert campbell

Anthony,
sorry I am late. Your torque converter is not all the way in. The best way to seat a torque converter is with the tranny out and stood up on the tailshaft. Gravity will seat it in as you turn it. In fact if your fingers are behind the conveter when it drops they will be smashed!! Loosen the bell house bolts and take all the nuts back off the torque converter. Use a small pry against the convertor in the starter hole or wherever you can to put a slight load pushing the conveter back. It will go in one more notch to engage the front pump. when it is in properly it will be about a quarter inch from the flex palte when the bell house is tight.

Rob