• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear quarter reflecto question

Hi guys, I am a regular viewer here but never take the time to log in and post. I have a GT/CS that has one quarter panel reflector that is recessed with the car colored trim around it and on the other side it sticks out with the chrome trim around it. I always assumed one of the rear quarters has been replaced but when I was scrolling thru the questions for registering it I noticed these are asked about. This car is in Paul's registery's and I finally got it out on the road after sitting for 3 years. We just purchased an '05 GT (Legend Lime) for the wife and we took both to our hometown's first show in years and had alot of fun.
Anyway maybe somebody knows more about these reflectors. Could it be possible that this car was built that way? One of each?

390cs68rcode

if the build date of your car was before 2-15-68 then the body colored ones are correct. After 2-15-68 and they should be the chrome ones.

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Madisonsdaddy99 link=board=1;threadid=1822;start=0#msg11808 date=1119418933]
always assumed one of the rear quarters has been replaced but when I was scrolling thru the questions for registering it I noticed these are asked about. [/quote]

I would think that is a good assumption. I can't imagine that would have rolled out factory, but stranger things have happened.

OP
OP
M
Re:Rear quarter reflector question

The build date was March 22 so that would make them the chrome ones that stick out. Do all 68 mustangs coming out of San Jose have that same reflector change or is this something that is GT/CS specific? Is there any stamping on the rear quarters that a guy could look at and say for sure if they are original?
thanks.

meadowsdk28

I don't want to get too over my head here, but the site will bail me out anyway if I do. The reflector being changed was part of a cost saving measure to make up for the strike that Ford went through earlier in the year. It saved money to drill a couple of holes rather than to cut a large hole, form the sheetmetal around it and have a more elaborate side marker. Remember, this was the first year for side markers anyway (gov't mandated) so I will assume that the plant already had several hundred rear quarters laying around from the 67 year run. They were cutting holes in the rear quarter to fit the reflector in, then the strike hit, then it's back to work and play catch up. Thus drill 2 holes instead of custom cut a hole, loose the lower dash pad and the pillar pads adjacent to the front windshield. And so on...

I wonder why they didn't do the front side marker the same way? Glad they didn't, though.

Anyway, that's the way I heard it happened.

68gt390

[quote author=Madisonsdaddy99 link=board=1;threadid=1822;start=0#msg11811 date=1119451425]
The build date was March 22 so that would make them the chrome ones that stick out. Do all 68 mustangs coming out of San Jose have that same reflector change or is this something that is GT/CS specific? Is there any stamping on the rear quarters that a guy could look at and say for sure if they are original?
thanks.
[/quote]

jbsteven is correct, all mustangs after 2/15/68 were produced with the new type reflector. It is not just a GT/CS specific thing. I don't think there is any stamping that can be checked. The rear quarter change was due to two factors:
Ford's attempt to cut cost and, the fact that because of the strike, they ran out of the pre-stamped fenders so they started using older ones that were still in stock. I would venture to say the side with the recessed reflector has been changed at one time. If you know any good body folks have them take a look at it and they can tell you exactly what was done with it.

Don ;)

Russ

On my San Jose coupes, there are date stampings found in the trunk drip rail on each quarter. These stampings are located right on top and are easy to spot when the trunk lid is open. My GT/CS was built on Feb 14 and has the early reflectors, and the stampings are 1 17 3W and 1 9 3W, indicating the quarters were stamped out on January 17 and January 9 on the third shift.

My GT, which was built on February 20 has the later style reflectors, and the stampings are 1 30 2W and 2 1 2W. I think you can get an idea of when your quarters were stamped by looking for these date codes. Hope this helps.
Russ

OP
OP
M
Ok, I went and checked and on the side with the chrome reflector it is stamped 3 11 3w which makes sense with the march 22 build date. On the other side with the recessed marker it is stamped 12 06 2w which makes sense as well (earlier panel). I did some quick looking in the poor lighting and it sure looks original to me but I need to take a better look. I am still leaning toward that earlier panel being a replacement part.

This info you guys have posted sure helps! Thanks Russ and to all contributors on this site.

Jerry

case12

Wouldnt it be interesting if the factory put two different panels on?? It seems hard to believe that would be missed. Presumably there are no signs of the quarter panel being replaced? Casey

Russ

It is interesting to check the various body panels for the date stampings, as it helps determine if a panel was ever replaced, and if you want a "date code" correct car, this is important. If a panel has a later stamping date than the build date for the car, it has probably been replaced at some point in the car's life. These date codes are checked by MCA in the "Thoroughbred class", but not concourse class judging.

Russ

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Madisonsdaddy99 link=board=1;threadid=1822;start=0#msg11811 date=1119451425]
The build date was March 22
[/quote]

I wonder if the build date was a Monday or Friday? Anything was possible on a Friday at a Ford plant in 68. Maybe they are original. If so, one of a kind, huh? :D

68gt390

[quote author=Russ link=board=1;threadid=1822;start=0#msg11835 date=1119480838]
It is interesting to check the various body panels for the date stampings, as it helps determine if a panel was ever replaced, and if you want a "date code" correct car, this is important. If a panel has a later stamping date than the build date for the car, it has probably been replaced at some point in the car's life. These date codes are checked by MCA in the "Thoroughbred class", but not concourse class judging.

Russ
[/quote]

This is interesting because my left side panel is stamped 3 20 3W and the right side is stamped 3 13 3W which would be correct since car was built 4/16/68. What's interesting about it is the fact that my left side quarter panel was replaced in Sep 97. I know this from the photo's I received with the car (see gallery page 3, photo 24 of 32 - Don Potter). Checking the underside of the trunk reveales a very small seam running the entire length of the drivers side quarter. In the photo it also show's the entire quarter panel cut out with the exception of the top portion and about 1/4" down the side still there (keeping the original stampings). The body shop did an excellent job of putting on the new quarter. The weld seam on the inside is the only clue that it was replaced. That is why I recommend a good body shop check the panels if you have any questions. Fortunately I was given the photo's of all the body work that had been done.

Don

nfrntau

That is cool information. My left fender is stamped 2-14 3W and I have a build date of 3-8. No stamp on the right fender ??? Did they make unstamped replacements 20+ years ago?

Russ, do you know if and where there are any date stampings on the front fenders?

Thanks BIll

Russ

Bill,
The front fender stamping is on top, just like the rear quarter. Some original replacement Ford front fenders do not have a date stamping. My GT has the original right front fender with the date stamping and the left fender was a replacement with no stamping. My lime gold CS has a replacement and it is stamped A 25 (???) and I have no idea what this means.
Russ

case12

Well, I had an interesting find when checking my rear quarter stampings. My GT/CS was built in Feb 21 with the late style reflectors. The stampings are 1 31 2W (make sense from Russ' dating method) and the other is 7 25 W3 (not W3, but 3W). The 7 25 would appear to post date the vehicle build date (and, btw, I know the car sold in October). I see no signs of this quarter panel ever being replaced, and no history of the vehicle in an accident. Time for some more investigation under the car next. Casey

68gt390

Casey;
Check on the inside of the trunk. That's were I found my seam from back to front. I already knew the quarter had been replaced but, had always wondered how they did it. They did a really nice job. If you look at the photo's I've posted to the gallery you can see how much of the rear quarter they left to keep the original factory stampings on the back quarter.

Don ;)

mmarsalone

Well I had to check mine too. I knew the stampings were there but never really paid attention to them. So here they are; drivers side 2 16 2W and the passenger side is 2 8 2W. So they look original. The car was built on March 4th so the timing is right. I've got stampings on my front fenders and they are 2 10 2D and 2 14 2D for drivers side and passengers side respectively.

Mike

case12

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1822;start=15#msg11880 date=1119578385]
other is 7 25 W3 (not W3, but 3W). The 7 25 would appear to post date the vehicle build date
[/quote]

I meant to say (not 3W, but W3). Not sure if there is significance in the reversal since everyone else is finding the W after the number (Russ, maybe you know).

Don, I will check for the seams. If it has been replaced (which it seems to be the case from the STAMP date), they did a great job. Casey

P

PNewitt

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1822;start=15#msg11880 date=1119578385]
Well, I had an interesting find when checking my rear quarter stampings. My GT/CS was built in Feb 21 with the late style reflectors. The stampings are 1 31 2W (make sense from Russ' dating method) and the other is 7 25 W3 (not W3, but 3W). The 7 25 would appear to post date the vehicle build date (and, btw, I know the car sold in October). I see no signs of this quarter panel ever being replaced, and no history of the vehicle in an accident. Time for some more investigation under the car next. Casey
[/quote]

When I surveyed the reflector date--from about 300 cars (at that time), the date of "change" was Feb 15th. However, as we know from the Marti Reports, what was a designated build date and a real-world build date are two things entirely, and there will be some overlaps in Feb. production. it wasn't like they blew a whistle, and immediately changed everything in ONE day. They just kept assembling until they ran out of those parts, OR if the only rear quarter panels were the '67 type on the line.

What probably happened was you got a July 1967 (7/25) rear quarter. After the strike was settled, railroad boxcars from Dearborn were full of stamped body parts, sent to the Milpitas plant. It is very possible that service parts, or just extra rear quarter panels from the previous model year were sent to the Milpitas plant after the decision to change reflectors.

This was a cost-saving measure, since the pre-existing Montego rear reflector was cheaper than the two-piece ('68 Mustang) reflector, with painted trim. The savings went to the workers, as per the strike settlement in late 1967.

-Paul N.