• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Money pit or worth restoring?

Scavenger

My father in-law just gave this to my wife (photos attached). It was driven to this resting spot about 5 years ago. 6 cyl, no A/C, manual (4 speed?) convertible. The rag top is pretty much gone. Interior upholstery is ruined and the dash is cracked. Looks like the body and floor might have survived. Her Dad threw a tarp over the top before the ragtop completely disintegrated. Thought I might at least see if I can get the engine to run.

Attachments

• IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 67

Ruppstang

Hi Scavenger cool find! I am the HCS register and I checked and this car is not in the registry. I would love to add it to the registry. If you would care to have it added please email me at ruppstang@gmail.com I would need your name and address if you are the owner. Also your father in laws information as a past owner. If you get a Marti report on the car I would like a copy of that as well.

Convertibles inner rockers are often rusty causing lose of structural integrity. One of the signs are the top of the doors hitting the rocker. It is a fairly costly repair.
It is a rare car and a convertible so it may be worth saving.
More detailed pictures would help.

Marty

OP
OP
S

Scavenger

Next time I am out there I will check the inner rockers and see if I can turn the engine. I will be happy to provide the information for the registry and a Marty report. More photos also. I think if the rockers are ok and the engine starts I will clear out a spot in the barn and at least get it inside.

66hcs-conv

Assuming the VIN on the door tag matches the VIN on the left fender, it is indeed a fairly rare car. The DSO on the door tag is correct for a HCS.

Perhaps Marty can chime in here; how many HCS cars were built in 66 vs. 67?
And unlike 66, a Marti report can tell how many 67 convertibles were made.

Obviously I am partial here, I feel the car is worth saving. BUT, if you are interested in selling, how about giving one of us here on the forum a chance at buying it . . . . .

Ruppstang

I only have 20 1967 HCS convertibles in the registry. I am not certain how many were made.

DanTeets

Definitely worth getting it on the road again. Especially since it’s a ragtop.

Ricky Knapik

Please save or sell to someone that will! Wish I had more space to keep more cars!