• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail/Brake Light Ground

1968Cally

I have a grounding problem with my tail/brake lights. The left side is dim. So, I found a good ground inside the trunk (bumper bolt) and when I attach a wire to it and run it to the outside of any one tailight socket, all three go to normal brightness. Can't find any other place to ground where they will get to normal brightness.

So, Iwent to pull out the tail light bucket to get to the back side of it and I can't get it out. I made a tiny hook out of a coat hanger to pull them out by the screw holes, but all I get is a little wiggle. Is it possible dum dum is holding them in or am I missing something in what it takes to get them out?

Thanks.

Dave

robert campbell

Dave,
Are you referring to the tail light sockets? The ground for the taillights is attached to the frame work that surrounds the gas filler pipe inside the trunk. It is on the right side of this frame work about 6 inches down from the trunk opening lip.

These cars are notorious for poor grounds to the tail lights. On my car I removed the entire panel to get to the taillight sockets themselves. I replaced all six sockets with new ones and solder a ground wire to each socket on the outside to ensure perfect grounding.

Find the ground and clean it up and you may get lucky!

Rob

Mosesatm

Dave,
Please post a photo of what you're trying to remove.

Thanks

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

Dave,
Please post a photo of what you're trying to remove.

Thanks
The tail light housing assembly. I figured I would need to get to the backside of it to re-engineer the ground. See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

Dave,
Are you referring to the tail light sockets? The ground for the taillights is attached to the frame work that surrounds the gas filler pipe inside the trunk. It is on the right side of this frame work about 6 inches down from the trunk opening lip.

These cars are notorious for poor grounds to the tail lights. On my car I removed the entire panel to get to the taillight sockets themselves. I replaced all six sockets with new ones and solder a ground wire to each socket on the outside to ensure perfect grounding.

Find the ground and clean it up and you may get lucky!

Rob
Rob, I found this old thread. From what I see, this is what you did. Correct?
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62&highlight=dim+tail+lights

Mosesatm

If you want to get to the light socket wiring you'll need to remove the bumper, then remove all the screws along the bottom on the panel and the screws along the top. I don't remember if the gas cap can stay on the car, but I don't think so.

Here is the correct ground location.

Attachments

• Ground Wire DSCN3808.JPG
    Ground Wire DSCN3808.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

Yup, I took it apart tonight. Bumper guards, bumper and valance. Gas cap stays on. Going to get colder tomorrow but I can work on grounding the sockets properly in the basement.

robert campbell

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

Kinda is what I talked about. Grounds to each socket is the hot ticket. The pot metal to socket "ground" is iffy at best. You need to ground the socket housing of each socket to ensure perfect grounds and bright lights.

Rob
That is the plan. I will use the Dremel wire brush wheel to clean the outside of the sockets. Then, solder on ground wires. Then I will use expoxy to cover those soldering points just to make sure they won't break off. Then wire them together and run to a good ground. Not "correct" but everything will be hidden behind the tail light panel and trunk card board