• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

black stripes on the hood of my CS

CS68

I kind of like the black stripes that I have seen on few CSpecials. were the stripes dealer original or not. I thinking about adding them to my gold lime CS what do you think?

Attachments

• 00438508502.jpg
    00438508502.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 81

Diesel Donna

I like it. Just don't go over the roof and on the trunk, that would be too much.

davidathans

i have white stripes on my car and i continued them on the trunk and over the lip and i painted my tail light section white..this is on a black car...see what you think...you've got a 68 camaro SS right...do you have stripes going up over your ducklid typed spoiler? Alot of nieve people think my car is your 68 camaro because of the spoiler and the stripes. One thing that just makes me NOT regret the stipes on the rear section of the car...is when i see them in the rear view mirror...looks nice

68gt390

CS68 said:
I kind of like the black stripes that I have seen on few CSpecials. were the stripes dealer original or not. I thinking about adding them to my gold lime CS what do you think?

The stripes were an option you could get in 68. I have thought about adding them to my Royal Maroon CS but, haven't completely decided yet.

Don

Diesel Donna

Hmmmmmm David, I guess I'd have to see it myself. I can imagine that it looks good but I'd never want to be mistaken for a Camaro. Don't get me wrong, I do like Camaro's!

OP
OP
C

CS68

My plan was just at the hood from the dirention light to the end of the hood. does any of you have a close picture of how it was done at the dealer. my car is lime gold wiht black gt/cs stripes. thanks

luisa2552

I love the look of black hood stripes on a CS, especially when the side stripe is black. Were hood stripes ever white?

PFSlim

I have always really liked the stripes. I think they look very cool. And, if I had a black car like David's, I would stripe all the way back!!!!

Since our car is blue with white stripes, I didn't think it would look very good.

Paul

CALIF GIRL

I like the hood stripes and had them put on my car when I repainted. There are a few picutres that show the stripes from different views in the gallery.

Russ

Does anyone know what type of paint is used for the black hood stripes? Is the black paint glossy, satin or flat?? I like the look on the lime gold car with the black GT/CS stripes.

Russ

68gt390

Russ;
If I'm not mistaken the paint was flat black. Very close to what they used on the 69 and 70 Mach I's. Really tuff to get wax out of so you really have to be careful when cleaning it.

Don

Last edited:

GTCSMustang

Russ,

The stripes were called "two-tone hood paint" and could be ordered individually for $19.48 or as part of the "Sports Trim Group". They were factory options but I'm sure you could get them dealer added too. They show up on lots of dealer literature including one of the dealer posters of new car models. They are 13-inches edge-to-edge and extend from the inside of the louvers to the lower windshield molding. They are low-gloss black (Ditzler DDL 9423). They only came in black as far as I know. It is the same black as 1969 Boss 302, and 1970 Boss & Mach. The 68 stripes are not textured like the 1970 cars though. 1968.5 CJ stripes had more gloss than the "two- tone hood paint" stripes.

Scott

390cs68rcode

GTCSMustang said:
Russ,

The stripes were called "two-tone hood paint" and could be ordered individually for $19.48 or as part of the "Sports Trim Group". They were factory options but I'm sure you could get them dealer added too. They show up on lots of dealer literature including one of the dealer posters of new car models. They are 13-inches edge-to-edge and extend from the inside of the louvers to the lower windshield molding. They are low-gloss black (Ditzler DDL 9423). They only came in black as far as I know. It is the same black as 1969 Boss 302, and 1970 Boss & Mach. The 68 stripes are not textured like the 1970 cars though. 1968.5 CJ stripes had more gloss than the "two- tone hood paint" stripes.

Scott

Good to see you chime in and set it straight.

gotten any sleep in the last few days?

Russ

Scott,
Thanks for the info. I've looked everywhere for a description of the "Sports Trim Group", but cannot find anything about this option. What did you get with this package along with the two tone hood? My lime gold CS is about to get its final coat of paint, and it original hood had some black paint where the two tone stripes would go. The car's Marti Report does not identify the two tone paint on the option list, so I guess I have to make a call on this option. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Sports Trim Group!
Russ

GTCSMustang

Russ,

The Sports Trim Group was discontinued by 12-12-67 and therefore not available for GT/CSs. It was available for a short time from the beginning of Mustang production in 1968 until it was discontinued. The Sports Trim Group included:

Styled steel wheels
Wide-oval tires
Wheel moldings
Two-tone paint hood
Simulated wood grained instrument panel
Comfort weave seats (hardtop and fastback)

You could still get those options individually, but not as a package.

I think you had a question about front and rear bumper guards too. They were discontinued as standard items before GT/CS production too. They were offered as options.

Jason,

...still cleaning.

Scott