• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2007 California Special Decal

68 GTCS

Last year when I heard that they were making a 2007 California Special I had seen (somewhere on the internet or in a magazine) photos of the CS. Anyway, on the back of the car there was a California Special decal on the drivers side trunk lid, similar to the leather wallet we have all seen on e-bay. I assumed that this was a standard feature for the CS. Now almost a year later, I have noticed that every CS I have seen does NOT have this decal. I contacted several dealerships to try to purchase this decal and they all say there is nothing in their books to verify that this ever existed. They even contacted Ford for me and they (Ford) said, my best bet was to try the internet. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this and If this decal is availible through an outside source? I thought at first that it was part of the appearance package but I must have been mistaken.

Thanks,
Kevin

68gt390

Kevin;
You are correct. The first test shots of the 07 GT/CS did have a decal on the drivers side trunk area. I had photo's of it but, I deleted them not too long ago. Contact Brad at the below email address. I'm sure he will have pictures of that particular decal you are looking for.

BradKBarnett@yahoo.com

Hope this helps.

Don :cool:

P

PNewitt

What you might think was a decal, was really a quick branding emblem that the GT/CS design team at Ford threw together for a prototype. It was a chrome sticker that had clear resin on top of it. The Mustang sites mistakenly identified photos of it as part of the package. Only one was made, and it was not meant for production.

I am planning to release a 1968-2008 40th Anniv. GT/CS Registry Decal that is meant for both the early and late model GT/CS cars. It will be a window decal, that will compliment the re-issue of the original round gold decal for the '68's. I've already designed it; I just need to get a licensing OK from Ford before I market it.

Paul N.

OP
OP

68 GTCS

Paul.

I think thats great, but what would the chances be of also getting a decal made like the one they had on that prototype, so the people that have 2007-2008 GT/CS would have that California Special emblem on their cars. I kinda miss it, Its like the California Special script on the 68. I think they should have STUCK with it. If they made a decal for the prototype they would probably have the dies to make them. Just a thought. Does anyone else feel this way?

Kevin

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

I personally, am not real impressed with that prototype decal they made one of. It was a really quick test emblem, and never meant for production.

I definately understand the desire to have the "California Special" script in some form on the late model versions. Believe me, the design team tried very hard to bring back some of the older iconic emblems--but it wasn't in the budget. Production costs are high, and limited editions rely on clever solutions to them. For instance, it would cost $50,000 to just make jigs for putting on one emblem.

Another late model owner has added the rear script (in Colorado), and has posted pics of it here on this site.

There is still 2008, so who knows what they might come up with for emblems. (??)

Paul N.

Ladystang

Is there somewhere you can purchase the chrome 'california special' script used on the 68s. I think that should have been on the new ones.

Onirb

Is this the picture you are talking about?

attachment.php

OP
OP

68 GTCS

Thats it! That is the decal I am talking about, (Is that the prototype car?), If not, that would mean that its an after market add-on. Thanks for the picture.
If its available I would like to find out.

Kevin

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

Yes, that is the prototype GT/CS convertible. It was a "sneak" photo near an assembly plant. That photo hit the internet, and people thought: "oh, that must be the emblem". NOT.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for "something" unique to say "California Special" a lot louder on the back end. It's hard to read the lettering on the gas cap. I just, personally, saw it long ago and went "oh no!" not that!

I'm sure if you went to one of those custom vinyl lettering places--or a Mustang stripe vendor, they could make you one. Perhaps in silver, chrome or brushed aluminum. Do what makes you happy--it's your car.

You can still buy the CS script. I think that Scott Drake carries it, as well as most classic Mustang dealers. You'll have to drill four holes per side--or cut off the pins, and carefully use that 3M auto emblem tape (available from most auto paint stores).

Paul N.

OP
OP

68 GTCS

Your right, it's up to eveyone to (make their car their own) I didn't think the CS decal was that bad. It was like the modern version of the CS script to fit the modern version of the car. I personally wouldn't start drilling holes, or glueing or sticking different versions of the California Special script on my car, just to have it, I personally can live without it. Oh well, maybe they will come out with something for 08.

I also cannot believe they parked the prototype car in a parking lot (ouch) :scared: next to a mini-van. Corporate parking must have been full.

Thanks again for your help with this question.
Kevin

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

Not only do they park these cars like "real" cars, but they drive these prototypes all over Dearborn. They drove the prototype bright yellow '07 GT/CS prototype all over town, and got lots of looks. It almost saw production, from the reaction in town! It's Just like how Lee Grey drove Little Red all over Los Angeles!

They've done it for years...I met ('64 Mustang production boss) Don Frey's daughter long ago, and she told me how her dad would drive home all kinds of prototypes and custom one-offs.

"Hey, kids, wanna go get ice cream in daddy's 1967 Mach 1 proto"??

oh, mannnn.......

Paul N.