• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Cylinder Head for 390

Doug

I am looking to determine the correct Cylinder Head Number “ID” number(s) for my 390GT S-code; built in July 1968. I have heard conflicting casting numbers and want to make sure that I have the correct ones – also should you have these please contact me.

Thanks for your help - Doug

J.Bart

i'll be home on the weekend and i'll check my books also.
the heads should have a 14 bolt exhaust manifold pattern, and seems like they could be a C6AE-R if i remember right. i have a couple of heads but i can't remember the numbers for sure

Mosesatm

Does this help?

http://www.mustangtek.com/heads/Heads.html
Scroll down to C8AE-H

http://www.fordification.com/FEcasting-numbers.htm
Sorry, those are blocks, not heads.

Here's an interesing article about FEs. Doesn't help much with the head question but it has other good information.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/15999_fe_quick_facts/index.html

Still googling!

Here's some more info.

"390GT heads use the same casting numbers as any other 352, 390-2V, 390-4V, 410 or 428-4V (notCJ) of the same model year. There is no unique casting number for GT heads. There were several FE head castings used in 1967 and 68 for all varieties of FE, any of them could be used on a 390GT.

The only identifying factor for 390GT heads is the 14 bolt exhaust bolt pattern. There is no difference in the heads from any other FE of that model year. Any non - GT head of the 67 - 68 era is easily drilled. The problem comes if the machinist drills too deep, that is when you get water coming out the exhaust pipe."

"on GT heads, they should have both horizontal and vertical bolt patterns on the heads for the exhaust manifolds"

Last edited:

J_Speegle

By July 68 I would guess that the C8AE-H head was what they were using, Sort of a utility head since it came in all sorts of configurations (number of exhaust bolt holes)

Midnight Special

Doug, Jeff; Mine are C8AE-U. They're on my '68 S-code, tho I can't swear they were original. What does the "-U" tell us? I was told a couple of years ago that 390GTs had 428 heads, but have since found that's not true. Correct?

Attachments

• IM002296.JPG
    IM002296.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IM002298.JPG
    IM002298.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IM002300.JPG
    IM002300.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 54
  • IM002303.JPG
    IM002303.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 47

robert campbell

Doug,
This is what I have from The Ford Muscle Parts Identifier and Restoration Guide.

C8OE-B or F 2.02 intake 1.55 exhaust 390 GT 14-bolt pattern.

C8AE-H 2.02 intake 1.55 exhaust 390 and early 1968 early 428 pre cobra jet. 14-bolt pattern

C8OE-N 2.08 intake 1.66 exhaust 428 cobra jet 1968 to 1970. 14-bolt pattern

Just to confuse people a few years ago, I drilled a 14-bolt pattern into a set of 1972 heads off a 390 from a F-100 truck. So the 360 could use the 14-bolt cobra jet style manifolds in a 1969 Ranchero…. Actually to sell the Ranchero! A 360 cobra jet!! Not. Confusing to someone someday… Yup…

Rob

robert campbell

Tim/Arlie,
My experince with Ford motors shows that cast numbers from one to two years prior to actual assembly happened quite often. So a 66 or 67 cast number could appear on a 68 car. I have seen it quite often in intake and exhaust manifolds.

I my opinion I would not doubt 66 or 67 cast numbers on a 68 car. Especially in high performance parts such as heads, intakes, and exhaust manifolds. Not so much in standard engines that they made way more of.

Mechanicalguy should weigh in here if he sees it. He was there!

Rob

J.Bart

my books do not list a specific 390 gt head either, just the 14 bolt exhaust pattern.
i have a C6AE-L which have the smog ports on the exhaust, and a C7AE-A head that isn't drilled for the smog ports, but could be.
i myself like the taller port heads, C4AE-G i run in my pickup with the 410.
with cobra jet valves, they call them a poor mans 428 cj head. then you put a MT crossram dual 4v intake on it and........sorry i'm getting carried away

robert campbell

Not being a purist guy, when someone is leaning over the fender of a GT/CS or any Mustang with a big block, rustling through the center spark plug wires, with both feet off the ground, their head smashed into a shock tower....

close the hood on them. shuts off the light.

just kidding.....

some of those cast numbers are very difficult to read!

Rob

J.Bart

if mine was a matching number car, i would want to be correct on my parts. my original motor was gone long ago i'm sure. so i feel free to go with what i can put together.

J.Bart

Doug,
i have around ten sets of various fe heads, if you can't find what your wanting, i could look through what i have and let you know.