• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Head Gaskets

Mosesatm

OK, I may not be the brightest bulb on the string but I know enough to ask the experts when things don't make sense, and this doesn't make sense.

The block has water jackets on the front and the rear
The head has water jackets on the front and the rear
The head gasket blocks the front water jackets.

Is this how it's supposed to work or do I have the wrong head gaskets?

Attachments

• Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 27
  • Heads.jpg
    Heads.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Gasket.jpg
    Gasket.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 30

gtcs1

OK, I may not be the brightest bulb on the string but I know enough to ask the experts when things don't make sense, and this doesn't make sense.

The block has water jackets on the front and the rear
The head has water jackets on the front and the rear
The head gasket blocks the front water jackets.

Is this how it's supposed to work or do I have the wrong head gaskets?

Hi,

It seems per spec. The end without opening should be marked FRONT.

In my Tom Monroe book, they say " if you get them mislocated, you'll be wondering why your engine is overheating. Misrouting of coolant from the block to the cylinder heads due to water-passage blocakge at the wrong end of the heads an over-heating engine"

See also this link to see a gasket set with the missing holes

http://www.trickflow.com/largeimage.asp?part=TFS-51400904

I can't explain why the holes are present to the surface on both components though

Hopes it helps.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Hi,

It seems per spec. The end without opening should be marked FRONT.

In my Tom Monroe book, they say " if you get them mislocated, you'll be wondering why your engine is overheating. Misrouting of coolant from the block to the cylinder heads due to water-passage blocakge at the wrong end of the heads an over-heating engine"

See also this link to see a gasket set with the missing holes

http://www.trickflow.com/largeimage.asp?part=TFS-51400904

I can't explain why the holes are present to the surface on both components though

Hopes it helps.

That's good because I used them as they are.

I saw that blurb in Tom's book but if you look at the cover of the book the engine he's working on does not have water jackets at the front of the engine! That's why I wondered if the blocks changed somewhere along the line and there may be different head gaskets for different year engines.

After thinking about it I realized that blocking the front jackets forces the water to the back of the engine, which helps cool the rear cylinders.

Thanks for the comments!!!

Attachments

• 1bcd_1.jpg
    1bcd_1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here's another interesting head issue.

Both heads have the same numbers and even the same dates on them but the driver's-side head has the lower casting blown out between cylinders 5 and 6. I can't see how not having that surface can hurt anything but it sure seems a little strange.

Attachments

• Drivers Head.jpg
    Drivers Head.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Pass Head.jpg
    Pass Head.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 25