• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 A/C Assembly Diagrams and Parts

x-codegtcs

Anyone know where I can find some info on AC for a 302? The J-code I am working on is a facotry AC car, but most of the parts are missing. I have a box, blower and a few other parts. Any help will be much appreciated.

dalorzo_f

As noted in your other post, the Master Parts Catalog has exploded views and part descriptions...

The list is long and the are a lot of fiddly little ones:

A quick list from memory, looked into it for my 68 S code GT coupe. Did the under dash, had a wiring disaster, and then ripped it all out and gave up on it. Going after market.

dryer
hoses, suction/discharge, sight glass, fittings
condenser and mouunting hardware (and the $50/pr specail clips to protect it from the bolts near the base)
compressor and clutch
brackets and idler (a minefield of similar ones, be careful what you buy)
wiring, underdash and under hood
dash plenum (replaces ducts and heater only outlets under dash)
hoses, clamps and belt
correct crank pulley
different PS pump pulley than non-AC
rad support grommet
firewall seal and brackets (2 pc item)
heater motor "protector", used on A/C cars to protect the refrigerant lines in the engine bay
vacuum can and vaccum hoses
water shutoff valve and special hoses
dash vents (finding a good center one is getting hard, the repro Desert Classic side vents are nice, and almost correct)
drain tube
new core

I am sure there is more I am missing.

Pull and test all the vacuum motors and switches, most are good, amazingly well engineered and built, but not someting you want to find out after installing the under dash boxes, which have about 1/16" clearance to fit, a real PITA to install.

ou can assembly the entire setup on a workbench and run a vaccum line from your car, or use a hand pump to test it all before installing.

Me, I'm going Vintage or Classic repro systems next time as the OEM stuff it a nightmare to route in the dash, pretty much zero clearance on everything. I have no idea how anyone installed it on the line as its really a PITA to get in...

Last edited:

CougarCJ

The under hood brackets changed approximately 3/1/1968. The stamped steel lateral A/C pump brackets and associated parts are slightly difficult to find, since they were used for less than half of the year.
January 1967 through 3/1/1968, the lateral bracket was cast iron, and dog leg shaped.

I believe that the only common part between the two designs is the compressor.

68sunlitgold

Here are some diagrams of the vacuum system, as stated there is also a complete diagram of the underdash system in the shop manuals. I put in A/C into my coupe, I did not think it was too difficult just had to make sure I planned it all out first. Since my firewall was original, all the 'dimples' where there so it made it easy to drill the needed holes.

Attachments

• E11.jpg
    E11.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 30
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 26
  • V4.jpg
    V4.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 32
  • V5.jpg
    V5.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 28
  • V6.jpg
    V6.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 26

68sunlitgold

Here are some pics of when I was putting in A/C into my coupe.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_4892.JPG
    IMG_4892.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4886.JPG
    IMG_4886.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4888.JPG
    IMG_4888.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4891.JPG
    IMG_4891.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4890.JPG
    IMG_4890.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4889.JPG
    IMG_4889.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4897.JPG
    IMG_4897.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Doug - THANKS A TON!!! That will help a lot. Knowing that this info is mostly in the shop manual is a great relief! Now I just have to find the parts!