• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rear End Serial Number

BigJim

Where on the rear end do I find the serial number / partial vin? We're going to pull the rear to replace the bearings and seals since it has a leak and I thought this would be a good time to see if its the born with rear end. We confirmed the engine and trans a few years ago and would love to confirm the rear end too.

Ruppstang

The rear axel was not serialized to the car. The best you can hope for is on the axel ID tag the date code is a month or two before your build date.
Marty

rvrtrash

+1. The axle tag slips over one of the studs that mounts the third member and then held in place with the retaining nut. It will show build date and axle ratio.

Steve

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Thanks, I thought I heard that before but I hoped it wasn't true.