• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Emission Decal for 302-4V

J_Speegle

My January 1968 built San Jose GT convertible has the "302 cubic inches" decal on the air cleaner.

Jeff - When was he changeover on the decals?

Scott - based on what I'm seeing of pictures of early to late J code San Jose built cars I can't see a "change over point".

I can't find one with anything different than what is shown in the picture.

Will double check and report if I find one of the "others" ;) but don't think I missed any though I accept my sampling is small compared to total J code production at San Jose but the samples are spread through out the year and I don't think there is a larger collection of pictures available.

Looks like something I need to make the 68 Judges aware of and I need to check the other plants also but that is not a subject for this site.

Should a 289 air cleaner decal have orange/black or white/black checks?

You'll get use to this request ;)

When was your car built?? (assuming - given the forum that it's a SJ car ;) So I can check to see what I can offer as assistance - evidence

GTCSMustang

Jeff,

I may have missunderstood you. You said "Yes that is consisent with what we typically see on J codes built at San Jose in the second half of 68 production." when refering to the 302 air cleaner decal with "302 cubic inches". Was there also a "302 4V premium fuel" decal that was used in 68?

Scott

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Bob G.,
You sent me a PM, but your setting will not accept my reply. Will you change your setting or forward me an e-mail address.

Danny

J_Speegle

Jeff,
I may have missunderstood you. You said "Yes that is consisent with what we typically see on J codes built at San Jose in the second half of 68 production." when refering to the 302 air cleaner decal with "302 cubic inches". Was there also a "302 4V premium fuel" decal that was used in 68?

Sorry Scott for not being clear. I can not find a picture of an original J code built at San Jose that has a "302 4V Premium Fuel" decal All of them I found (original San Jose 68 J codes) have/had the "302 Cubic Inches" decal on the air cleaner lid

J_Speegle

Jeff, it's a CS built April 17th

Getting a little off thread - but just this once ;)

Guessing we have a car around 8R01C158xxx

Looking at the pictures I have it appears, IMHO, that the 289 air cleaner decals had "black & orange" checkers or "flags

Hope this helps

Mosesatm

Getting a little off thread - but just this once ;)

Guessing we have a car around 8R01C158xxx

Looking at the pictures I have it appears, IMHO, that the 289 air cleaner decals had "black & orange" checkers or "flags

Hope this helps

Thank you

murf104

Back to the original question. April 03, 68 build date, SJ car, 302 4V J code, and an original sticker on valve cover. "C8AE - B" .

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Thanks everyone for your replies; I did order a reproduction decal and although all the wording, idle RPM settings are correct, the font is different and IMO low quality. I am going to re-contact ECS to inquire about a higher quality more accurate reproduction.

Danny

murf104

Danny, would you mind sharing the results of getting this reproduced? Many of us are interested in getting things that are an absolute reproduction of the original.

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Murf,
I'll keep you posted on any developments. ESC responded to my first e-mail, but I've sent two others without any response. Work was hectic this week, I'll call this week if I have time, but with the events in D.C. this week it may be a wash.

Danny

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

I talked with Dave Walden from ECS Automotive and forwarded picture of the decal. He was working on the decal as we were speaking. They are moving forward with the decal and hopefully they will be available in a couple months or sooner. I'll keep you all posted. This should be a welcome addition for J-code owners.

Danny

J_Speegle

Thanks for the update Danny Should be a easy thing to do since the artwork is already done/

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

I just received a call from Dave at ECS Automotive and they have reproduced the correct emissions decal for the '68 J-Code motor. It should now be available, he is sending mine out today.

Danny

Tim_morrison82

Hi 6t8-390gt, i am very interested in your J code rebuild. have you got any info on it posted somewhere?

on this topic, even if its old... According to Bob Mannell's '62-'69 ford small block book, the sticker on the valve cover is different between auto and manual.

I am trying to get a concourse engine to go in my SJ J code coupe. so i am after plenty of pics and advice!

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Tim,
I didn't post a lot of information on the build or detailing, but I did take a lot of pictures and tried to complete research. If you have specific questions or need some pictures let me know what you are looking for and I'll try to help. Murf104 and Marty Rupp have both done similar builds recently so you should have some good knowledge here.

Danny