• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Real Deal?

Perkchiro

Really question this one. No VIN. Low asking price. Not a comfirmed CS.
Not likely the real deal. I agree with Joe, let it go.

Steve

Mustanger

... if you go to the link I provided above, it has a toll free number, call it and ask the guy any questions you want ...

Mosesatm

This is a scam. The car is real but the pictures have been pulled from a listing on www.cars.com. I looked at this car when I was in Seattle a few weeks ago and posted the findings.

Mosesatm

Here it is.

Ok, back to the car.

I just inspected and drove the car. No power steering, big fat sticky tires, and a little 14" steering wheel. Holy crap, the owner must have been a weight lifter!

The car looks good and it is pretty solid driving. It has a 289 with a lopy cam and a 4V. Not all that fast but it sound cool as it idles.

There is a lot of paint on the car. It's been repainted once but they did not skimp on the paint. Must have used 3 gallons. There are also rust bubbles on both doors so all the paint needs to be stripped off, the rust repaired, and then the car repainted.

Whenever people brag about having 46 coats of hand rubbed paint on their car (that doesn't apply to this car) I usually get nervous because the only way that works is to sand each coat all the way down until the previous coat is almost reached. Too much paint is a terrible, terrible thing, and this car has too much paint.

The sales guy kept bragging on the original interior but the mylar is coming off the door panels and they are warped. The dash pad is good, and the carpet is faded. There is some sort of really weird package tray. Looks like someone stretched gauze over the shelf to hide the speakers.

The hood is not original and the grille has been modified from a '67 (pop rivets), but the fog lights have the "England" lenses without the E11 symbol so they appear to be original. Everything in the grille area is painted black.

I looked the car over pretty well but didn't put it on the rack so if anyone has any questions just holler.

This would be a good car for $15,000 but not for the $25,000 they want for it. The kid salesperson was willing to deal so it could probably be purchased for $20K but IMHO that's still too high for this 289, auto, no air, no consoles, no power, car.

Mustanglvr

So it IS a scam, cuz its not in Maryland, but its NOT a scam, cuz its in Seattle?

Mosesatm

It's a scam because whoever is listing it on eBay doesn't own it.

Mustanglvr

When I click on any of the links, even to bid on it, my default email comes up to compose and send an email to the seller. Definitely a SCAM!!!!

OP
OP
case12

case12

Thanks everyone. I knew it didnt feel right. What tipped me off more than anything was the links not working right. I wonder how they did that? We see so many on eBay that I didnt remember Arlie looking at it before. Thanks again. Casey

390cs68rcode

BroadwayBlue

OK I was curious and poked around at that site.
It's a SCAM for sure.

The reason the links don't work is that the whole page is an image (gif file).
No matter where you click on the page you get the email. Try not clicking on a link but on any blank area or regular text.

It's actually a site call http://wsggj.com

Looks like they are grabbing pages from eBay and modifying them ... see below

http://wsggj.com/yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.html

I'm not sure exactly how they did it. But if you search on eBay for the auction number that appears in the title bar of the browser, it comes up with this image.

Take extreme caution.

I reported it to eBay.
If you look up the seller's username and click on Item's for Sale, the CS comes up in the initial image. Once you click on the auction, someone is hijacking the link and overlaying it with an image that fills the browser.

Interesting how they might be doing this. I'm not really sure yet.

Sorry ... being an IT guy this kind of thing interests me.

I'm not sure but I think somewhere this CS is for sale somewhere

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Instead of playing defense is there some way we can play offense with these people? Can we bid on the cars and really mess with them somehow?

Mustanglvr

Send them an email saying, they have to send you money, so you can get the money you`re sending to them released in some way. Then never send them the money.

Last edited:

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
Instead of playing defense is there some way we can play offense with these people? Can we bid on the cars and really mess with them somehow?

sure create a fake ebay handle and bid away.

how about registering the name scamnuker?

p51

p51 said:
Here's another one that's "interesting". Registered '68 Shelby with a BIN of $8500. Hey, its a fastback convertible and its got driver and side airbags too... :grin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Ford-Mustang-SHELBY-GT5OO-4-SPD-MUSTANG-RESTORED_W0QQitemZ4643888194QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So far, no bids. Wonder why...
Question. How do you let ebay know about a potential fraud? Is there a link to send email somewhere???
Also, just one note of caution. I imagine a lot of these ads for these "too good to be true, I dont know what I got, but I spend $20K fixing it up but now gotta sell it for peanuts barn Shelbys" are from people trying either to get $ from you (how?) or, more likely, are phishing for personal info...