• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A BIG thanks to YOU, the GT/CS Owner & Enthusiast!

P

PNewitt

It's entirely possible that through the passing of time, that the Mustang GT/CS could have faded away in the lost legions of "limited editions". In the past 38 years, they all could have dissappeared, and those that did have one would have a hard time explaining that it was really a production Mustang..."well, you see..etc.".

But...it's YOU, and how YOU have preserved this pony that has really "Made it Happen". By either hanging on to it for almost 40 years, or by buying one (or more) and restoring it, you have made an impact on how other Mustangers see and know this car. By going to car shows, and driving it around...talking to others in public about it, and just sharing the knowledge and history, you've succeeded in preserving this marque. A BIG thanks goes to YOU for participating in ownership of the GT/CS.

You've lived the "California Mustang Experience" through ownership, too. Think of it as what a typical California hot rodder would have done to a Mustang coupe in 1968 with Shelby parts. It's that "awe-struck" reaction with custom cars seen on the street that is typically Californian.
....Except, "ours" was built at the San Jose factory.

Whether you are just cruising by this website, or you are a member, and you own a GT/CS (or HCS), you can share in this pride. Whether your's in pieces, or totally restored and driven to the local burger joint on a Saturday night--you not only own a piece of Mustang (and Shelby) history, but you've convinced Ford to make a new one by doing so. Our collective ownership has made an impact. Ford wouldn't have invested in this variant, if they looked around and didn't see things like this website, articles on your cars, CSs at car shows, or my books.

A great thanks goes to YOU--the GT/CS owner--for all the hard work you've done--and for what you've done for this cause.

...and to think you've had all kinds of fun doing it, too!

Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registrar

hicountrybob

PNewitt said:
It's entirely possible that through the passing of time, that the Mustang GT/CS could have faded away in the lost legions of "limited editions". In the past 38 years, they all could have dissappeared, and those that did have one would have a hard time explaining that it was really a production Mustang..."well, you see..etc.".

But...it's YOU, and how YOU have preserved this pony that has really "Made it Happen". By either hanging on to it for almost 40 years, or by buying one (or more) and restoring it, you have made an impact on how other Mustangers see and know this car. By going to car shows, and driving it around...talking to others in public about it, and just sharing the knowledge and history, you've succeeded in preserving this marque. A BIG thanks goes to YOU for participating in ownership of the GT/CS.

You've lived the "California Mustang Experience" through ownership, too. Think of it as what a typical California hot rodder would have done to a Mustang coupe in 1968 with Shelby parts. It's that "awe-struck" reaction with custom cars seen on the street that is typically Californian.
....Except, "ours" was built at the San Jose factory.

Whether you are just cruising by this website, or you are a member, and you own a GT/CS (or HCS), you can share in this pride. Whether your's in pieces, or totally restored and driven to the local burger joint on a Saturday night--you not only own a piece of Mustang (and Shelby) history, but you've convinced Ford to make a new one by doing so. Our collective ownership has made an impact. Ford wouldn't have invested in this variant, if they looked around and didn't see things like this website, articles on your cars, CSs at car shows, or my books.

A great thanks goes to YOU--the GT/CS owner--for all the hard work you've done--and for what you've done for this cause.

...and to think you've had all kinds of fun doing it, too!

Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registrar
AMEN to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HC BOB here.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

No, no nothing's "up"....

I was just thinking about all of you out there, and how much time and energy goes into the ownership of each GT/CS. I read all about your questions of how to fix and/or find something. Each of you have had a different experience driving all those "miles" on the road showing it "to the world".

Yes, I was a catalyst to some of this, but my part was research and writing. Your part is just as difficult--and just as enthusiastic.

I was just thinking this over the other day; why Ford would do a CS variant, and I felt that those in the registry should be thanked and aknowledged for that. After all, it's all of you that have kept this alive all these years!

Keep up the great work!

Paul N.

Midnight Special

luisa2552 said:
I am bursting with pride!

...Man, I'll tell you what; If you ever find yourself sitting around the house in the middle of the day feeling bored, depressed, lonely... and Oprah & Doctor Phill aren't 'doing it' for you... Just jump into your GT/CS and go to a busy gas station whether you need to or not. You'll have more people around you than you can shake a dipstick at! Everyone understands Corvettes, Shelbys, Mopar etc.. and the comparitive postulating 'horsepower' stories - but the 'Specials' attract a larger, more diverse lot of admirers who are as curious as intrigued. They ask intellegent questions, they hang on all you have to say and generally walk away feeling they've experienced something truly special. Before long; you're getting invited to places, meeting new people and having opportunities better than you imagined. Add to its rarity the fellowship amongst owners and you realize you have so much more than just an old 'limited edition car'. You develope a feeling of pride - and a smile of which no one knows the source to go with your stride! :)

Attachments

• st3.jpg
    st3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 32

marie68csmustangs

I don't currently own a special but, do know what It's like to ride in one. It's something like I will never forget. As that one day I was in One Of "Midnight Special four specials ;-) When stopping at a gas station, we had people that just wanted to look at the car.. It was a great conversation piece.. :)) I hope that I get to drive one of his soon :)) The California Special is surely something special..

Marie,
Sacramento, CA

Mustanglvr

Midnight Special said:
...Man, I'll tell you what; If you ever find yourself sitting around the house in the middle of the day feeling bored, depressed, lonely... and Oprah & Doctor Phill aren't 'doing it' for you... Just jump into your GT/CS and go to a busy gas station whether you need to or not. You'll have more people around you than you can shake a dipstick at! Everyone understands Corvettes, Shelbys, Mopar etc.. and the comparitive postulating 'horsepower' stories - but the 'Specials' attract a larger, more diverse lot of admirers who are as curious as intrigued. They ask intellegent questions, they hang on all you have to say and generally walk away feeling they've experienced something truly special. Before long; you're getting invited to places, meeting new people and having opportunities better than you imagined. Add to its rarity the fellowship amongst owners and you realize you have so much more than just an old 'limited edition car'. You develope a feeling of pride - and a smile of which no one knows the source to go with your stride! :)

:thumb: I could`nt have said it better myself Tim. Owning a GT/CS is such an honor to me. I`ve wanted one since I was 6 years old, but knew I probably would never get the chance, since even then, I knew they were rare. It is like the "elusive unicorn" to me. I know, it should be the Shelby. No, I don`t think so. I think, just the fact that they only produced the GT/CS for 1 year, makes it an extremely rare car. No matter what size engine. People give me the attitude that it is my job to preserve this car. I feel if I drive it around with rust or dirt on it, that I`m not doing right by it. I actually feel guilty it has a few little rust spots. This car is Americana, plain and simple. I love my car and it expresses who I am. :grin: :cool:

sam

Definitely have to agee about the conversations that come up when your out in the CalSpec. I live in New England, so they are even more rare to see out here. I have met a few who even knew what a California Specail Mustang was. When I'm at a car show, I've done up a little write up on the California
Special that I have laminated and put on the windshield. I'm always amazed at the number of people that take the time to read it, and actually walk around the car and point out the Shelby tail lights, side scoops and Lucas fog lamps etc. As my write up says, " I feel fortunate to own an original California
Special Mustang."

Sam

Redwingrobb

It was this site and you folks that put me over the top as far as actually pulling the trigger on my Trigger. Wouldn't have bought one without you....(guess I should also blame ya'll for putting me thousands into debt too..:wink: ) Looking forward to many other interactions..Robb

gt bandit

Diesel Donna said:
<~~~~~~~~~Doing a happy dance cause I love my car so much!

not sure about the Happy Dance thingy , but I was always a BB 68 Fast Back dreamer. I even got close with the model my wife bought me for Xmas a few years ago.

What really did it for me as so many have mentioned , is the rarity and standout in a crowd feeling.

then what really tipped me over the edge was happening to stumble across this site, with such good info and enthusiasts then you cant really go wrong even if something on your car does.

thanks again

Shaun :cool:

68gt390

Redwingrobb said:
It was this site and you folks that put me over the top as far as actually pulling the trigger on my Trigger. Wouldn't have bought one without you....(guess I should also blame ya'll for putting me thousands into debt too..:wink: ) Looking forward to many other interactions..Robb

Robb;
If you've still got more money to spend just let me know, I'll be happy to help you spend it on something else for your CS. :grin:

Don :cool:

BroadwayBlue

sam said:
Definitely have to agee about the conversations that come up when your out in the CalSpec. I live in New England, so they are even more rare to see out here. I have met a few who even knew what a California Specail Mustang was. When I'm at a car show, I've done up a little write up on the California
Special that I have laminated and put on the windshield. I'm always amazed at the number of people that take the time to read it, and actually walk around the car and point out the Shelby tail lights, side scoops and Lucas fog lamps etc. As my write up says, " I feel fortunate to own an original California
Special Mustang."

Sam

I agree with Sam. Being in the suburbs of NYC it's the same way. People are really intrigued with it but it also sounds like it's the same way across the US,Canada and elsewhere.

Gas Stations, Car Shows, Cruises, etc ... people are curious and hang on every word about the car.

I also have a poster with info about the car and I see people reading it in detail and then walking around the car to check out the back and all ... I wish I had a chance to talk to them all before they move on.

I was getting gas near my house one day and this young girl working in the gas stationg quick mart comes running out and runs up to me jumping up and done and says "I just want to tell you I really love your car!" (ah to be a teenager again ... but I digress ... :cool: )

At a cruise one night a guy comes up to me and says "I usually don't like Fords, I'm a MOPAR guy but this is NICE!" :grin:

I love seeing the Dad's (and Mom's) telling their kids about it too.

I LOVE THESE CARS!!! (and everyone here on the site adds to the enjoyment) ... I loved the car once I saw pics and then in person but this site helped me seal the deal and make that final decision to just Do It!.

Joes68

I'm glad I've had the chance to be a part of the CS family and this site. The information and stories are the best. I think we all owe Al Gore a big "Thank You" for inventing the internet (sarcasm here)!!
Thanks to Paul for his incredible history lessons and writing. This site has provided more than I possibly hoped to learn and then some.
The CS has a ways to go yet, but she's still turning heads.
Ron

Redwingrobb

68gt390 said:
Robb;
If you've still got more money to spend just let me know, I'll be happy to help you spend it on something else for your CS. :grin:

Don :cool:

Don, you're killing me...okay, what do you have??