• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

No Brake Lights

case12

Got the new car in, but can't seem to figure out why the brake lights and horn are not working. The headlights, dash lights, blinkers and tailights all work. From Paul's 1st book it looks like the tailight harness should work the same for brake lights and tailights/blinkers, so my guess is somewhere further up front? From the manual it looks like a circuit breaker is built into the light switch for all these things, but not sure how to check this. Any suggestions on where I should look next? Casey

rvrtrash

First things I would check is the switch on the brake pedal to see if it's hooked up and has power in and out. Check for power at the horns to see if it's just a bad horn or connection/ground. You'll have to have the horn ring depressed for this. Other than that and fuses, it's just a matter of tracing out wiring and connections till you find the break.
Steve

PFSlim

Casey

I agree with Steve (he has been great help to me). I feel like the wiring master now. We are completely restoring our cal spec (see Paul & Brian on page 2 of gallery) and started with nothing.

As Steve said, look up where you brake pedal connects to the master cylinder under dash. There should be a switch with a two prong plug on the dimple of the brake pedal. If the switch is there, depress brakes and see if you have power at the switch. Switch may need to be replaced.

While you are under there, check your fuses. I use a very small flathead screw driver to pop the fuses out. Make sure they all look good.

With the horns, disconnect one horn side and see if you have anything. Again, check for power while someone is holding down the horn ring. Also, take a wire and run from the battery positive side to the horn. The horn should work when touched. If not, the horns are bad.

Grounding is a big issue with these cars. Horns have to be grounded. Tail lights have to be grounded. If something does not work, rund a ground wire from object to a good ground and try it out. That may show you it needs to be grounded better.

Your car is cool. ;D

OP
OP
case12

case12

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1220;start=0#msg6805 date=1101846377]
Casey

I agree with Steve (he has been great help to me). I feel like the wiring master now. We are completely restoring our cal spec (see Paul & Brian on page 2 of gallery) and started with nothing.

As Steve said, look up where you brake pedal connects to the master cylinder under dash. There should be a switch with a two prong plug on the dimple of the brake pedal. If the switch is there, depress brakes and see if you have power at the switch. Switch may need to be replaced.

While you are under there, check your fuses. I use a very small flathead screw driver to pop the fuses out. Make sure they all look good.

With the horns, disconnect one horn side and see if you have anything. Again, check for power while someone is holding down the horn ring. Also, take a wire and run from the battery positive side to the horn. The horn should work when touched. If not, the horns are bad.

Grounding is a big issue with these cars. Horns have to be grounded. Tail lights have to be grounded. If something does not work, rund a ground wire from object to a good ground and try it out. That may show you it needs to be grounded better.

Your car is cool. ;D
[/quote]

Great advice, and thanks for the compliments. I will check the brake switch, but I also wondered if anyone knew how to check the headlight switch since the brake lights and horn circuit breaker are supposed to be integrated into this switch per the manual? I do have tailights, blinkers, headlights, so I know those parts are working (and presumably grounds are working). I will check the items you suggested. Thanks! Casey

mmarsalone

Hey Casey,

OT - I like your avatar. :) Could I copy it and use it myself? ;D My car is Sunlit Gold also. I'm sure Doug might want it also.

Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
case12

case12

[quote author=monkey_golf link=board=1;threadid=1220;start=0#msg6812 date=1101850696]
Hey Casey,

OT - I like your avatar. :) Could I copy it and use it myself? ;D My car is Sunlit Gold also. I'm sure Doug might want it also.

Thanks,
Mike
[/quote]

Sure - I sent it to Jon last week since I couldnt figure out how to get it on the site, and he took care of it. I will send the icon to your email, and Doug's if he wants. Casey

PFSlim

Casey

For you, checking the headlamp switch should be easy. Since your car is together, turn on the switch and see if your headlamps are working. Your dash lights should come on as well. If not, then yes, you might have a bad fuse (or) your fuse holders might be rusted. Disconnect the battery and use the flatblade screwdriver to scrape around both sides of fuse holder. A small piece of sandpaper comes in handy here as well. You may not be getting good ground in the fuse box.

Otherwise, you can check to make sure you are getting power to lamps if you remove your headlamps and use a power check light in the positve side of your headlamp harness.

Is everything else working? Interior lights, console lights, etc? All of these work through your headlamp switch.

OP
OP
case12

case12

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1220;start=0#msg6814 date=1101851784]
Casey

For you, checking the headlamp switch should be easy. Since your car is together, turn on the switch and see if your headlamps are working. Your dash lights should come on as well. If not, then yes, you might have a bad fuse (or) your fuse holders might be rusted. Disconnect the battery and use the flatblade screwdriver to scrape around both sides of fuse holder. A small piece of sandpaper comes in handy here as well. You may not be getting good ground in the fuse box.

Otherwise, you can check to make sure you are getting power to lamps if you remove your headlamps and use a power check light in the positve side of your headlamp harness.

Is everything else working? Interior lights, console lights, etc? All of these work through your headlamp switch.
[/quote]

Yes - everything works except brake lights and horn. Casey

OP
OP
case12

case12

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1220;start=0#msg6835 date=1101920203]
Casey

Did you find your problem?

Paul
[/quote]

Won't be able to get to it till this weekend. Was out with flu bug last two days and catching up at work. Will let everyone know what I find. Thanks! Casey

P

PNewitt

Lots of very good advice here...

Just a couple of things:

In my car's 450,000 miles, I've had to replace the headlight switch about 7 times. It can go out and create some mystery why.

The turn signal switch can cause problems, too. I have replaced that one about five times in 30 years.

Fuses, too can be the culprit. Sometimes fuses burn out at the end, and you can't see it, for the metal cap blocking the break. ALSO!! Cars this old can have fuse clips either bent out of shape, or covered with "invisable"crud, grease, or dust in the way to make contact.

The brake light switch--on the brake pedal can have REAL problems! Look closely at that black plastic connector to the brake light switch. The plastic can be brittle, and the wires to the metal contacts (as seen on the backside of the connector) can become "unsoldered". Do a continuity test with a multi-meter to be sure that everything is right.

Too bad someone like Scott Drake can't make that BLS connector as a repro part. They'd sell tons of them!!

Paul N.

mmarsalone

When I bought my 67' the brake lights would only come on when I put a lot of pressure on the brake pedal. They wouldn't come on under normal braking. The culprit turned out to be the BLS, but when I went under the dash, the connector was missing. Only the ywo wires on the switch. Made it real easy to jumper out the switch by touching the two wires together. Lights came on instantly. It's still missing the connector.

Mike

OP
OP
case12

case12

Thanks for everyone's input. Got time to look at it this weekend and found the culprit....broken wire on the black plastic connecter going onto switch on brake pedal.

Paul had it right on when he said, "The brake light switch--on the brake pedal can have REAL problems! Look closely at that black plastic connector to the brake light switch. The plastic can be brittle, and the wires to the metal contacts (as seen on the backside of the connector) can become "unsoldered". "

Still working on the 'no horn' situation. Hotwired battery to horn and it works, so looking elsewhere.

Thanks! Casey

68gt390

Casey;
The horns on my CS were intermitent at best when I purchased my CS. I checked the contact plates inside the steering colum and found the culprit. Had to replace the horn contacts in the steering colum section. They were very caroded and missing several screws. Hope this helps.

Don

OP
OP
case12

case12

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1220;start=0#msg6915 date=1102216383]
Casey;
The horns on my CS were intermitent at best when I purchased my CS. I checked the contact plates inside the steering colum and found the culprit. Had to replace the horn contacts in the steering colum section. They were very caroded and missing several screws. Hope this helps.

Don
[/quote]

Don, you were right. I checked the contact plate at the top and it was not connecting (could see sparks occassionally when I tried to push the horn). Was able to do a little needlenose straightening of contact to the plate and all is well. Don, thanks again! Casey

Midnight Special

case12 said:
Got the new car in, but can't seem to figure out why the brake lights and horn are not working. The headlights, dash lights, blinkers and tailights all work. From Paul's 1st book it looks like the tailight harness should work the same for brake lights and tailights/blinkers, so my guess is somewhere further up front? From the manual it looks like a circuit breaker is built into the light switch for all these things, but not sure how to check this. Any suggestions on where I should look next? Casey

I had the exact same problem. A new turn signal switch did it for me...