• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need opinions on a possible buy

Mr. Shelby Guy

Hi, I have an opportunity to buy a 1968 GTO. This car has been mechanically restored but the body and interior needs attention. The body has two small rust spots and the interior is fine except for one seat will need replacing. The Goat is powered by a 400 ci engine with a 4-speed in it. The owner says it's all #'s matching and would like $5,000 obo. The seller is a patient of mine and said I would be able to buy it before anyone else did.

One of my good friends would be able to do a professional restoration on the body and give it a good paint job for an inexpensive price. Is it worth it?

PS: I know that this is a Mustang forum, but I wasn't sure if you guys might be able to help me out. Thanks in advance.

hookedtrout

I like goats as long as they have rubber tires. The other type seem to have a facination with climbing on cars and need shot on sight.

Hook

390cs68rcode

I know nothing about GTO's but from what you describe how much could your downside be? 5k then maybe 5k or more for paint and little touch up seems cheap for a nice looking and running GTO.

rvrtrash

I've heard there are more GTO's registered today than GM ever built. Is there such a thing as a Marti type report for the other guys? ???
Steve

bbeatty

[quote author=Mr. Shelby Guy link=board=4;threadid=1820;start=0#msg11781 date=1119310010]
The seller is a patient of mine and said I would be able to buy it before anyone else did.

....Is it worth it?

[/quote]

I don’t know what you do or sort of patient you have but in it sounds like a potential ethics problem to me. At least protect youself with an independent appraisal and pay at least that if not more if you’re buying from someone who is in the smallest way under your care or influence.

Sarge

I like the '68 goats, and you really can't argue with a 400 cid engine w/4 speed for fun and HP... I like the hidden headlights, the hood air vents, etc. As with anything, you get what you pay for, and given that this is a 30+ year old vehicle, it will only go up in value (to the right buyer, of course). $5,000 seems like a pretty fair price to me, but then what do I know ???
Robert