• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Removing paint from center caps?

mbsf1970

I recently received in the mail a set of 4 original gt center caps for my rims. The issue (unseen in for sale photo) is that a previous owner painted (with a brush) the interior of the Gt lettering with red paint. Not the nicest job ever...brush strokes, uneven paint application etc...so....

What nasty chemical would make quick work of this and how to properly repaint?

There also seems to be a few wraps of black electrical tape on inner ridge of backside of caps. Was this added by an owner to thicken up ridge, secure it better to rim to prevent loss of cap?

As usual, many thanks to al those who endure my litany of questions.....even more thanks to those who proffer answers.
Stephen

dalorzo_f

Guess it depends on the type of paint.

I've had good luck with caustic soda on a lot of parts, but with metal parts you have to beware of rust. Standard paint stripper shuld work, and if applied carefully should not damage the rest.

I've tried painting these a few times and its always a PITA to mask and to get the paint to lay on the chrome well. Get if super clean, wash repeatedly with wax and grease remover to prep, light scuffing with 240 or medium steel wool can rought the surface slightly. I found taping and a light shot of primer then color to work best. Rattle cans, while convenient, never really gave a great finish in my experience.

A lot of work for a little job.

I've always wondered how they did these in OEM manufacturing to get such a good finish and little overspray, some clever masking/spray process.

6t8-390gt

IMO, you have a couple of options:

1. You can remove the "GT" letters from the backside of the cap and then use paint striper to remove the paint. Once removed you can spray as noted.

2. I took my caps to a sign shop [one that still uses paint for some signs (pinstriping shop also)] and had them paint the centers using One Shot paint.

3. Remove letters and replace with reproductions( available from most venders). More costly, but the easiest. Also a good option if the letters are pitted.

Danny

Maine gt/cs

Your going to laugh at this one, but a friend of mine that has been painting for 30 plus years told me to use(here it comes) Finger Nail Polish. Once you get the old paint off, clean the letters with rubbing alcohol and let dry. I sat down at my kitchen table with the 4 caps and painted the inside of the letters with the finger nail polish just to try his idea. That was 3 years ago and they still look like I had just did them. The polish lays on flat and thick with no brush marks at all. The brush that comes attached to the cap is the perfect size. After the first coat dried, I put on a second coat like my wife suggested. No, not on me, the caps. Like my wife said, look at the punishment we women put our nails through and they still look great at the end of the day. Then you almost need a bench grinder to get the stuff back off. I have been caught in the rain, brake dust, and what ever else comes off the road and the letters still look great. Like I said, It's been 3 years. The color I used is called Revlon Red 680. This is almost the same color as that came from the factory. My car is Candyapple Red and it is so close to that. A very cheap fix if you are just using as a daily driver. Ok, you can stop laughing now. Try it on a piece of or an old hub cap to see first. Nice and shiny.

Tim

68CaliSp

+1 to Dalorzo_f

I spent a good month trying to track down what I thought was a new and unhealthy rattle on my old car. I asked a friend of mine about it when he was riding with me and he suggested checking the GT caps after listening for all of a minute... :nonono2: I got a good laugh out of it afterwards; not the first time these cars have taken me a loop or two or three.

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Did the Gt. lettering ever come in black?? I'm thinking of doing them in red anyway...make them pop! Off to the pharmacy for some Revlon red! :grin:
Stephen

dalorzo_f

67's had black GT lettering....but only on the gas cap as they did not use the dog dish hubcaps w/emblems. And the fingernail polish idea is brilliant!

Mosesatm

Did the Gt. lettering ever come in black?? I'm thinking of doing them in red anyway...make them pop! Off to the pharmacy for some Revlon red! :grin:
Stephen

You may want to take a cap with you so your purchase is a little easier to explain!!!

whodat

On a side note I just lost a GT. I didn't see it on CJ Pony Parts book. And it fell off a original hubcap not a repop. Anybody have a old cap with the letters? If you look close on my avatar you can see the left rear loose.

BroadwayBlue

Attachments

• 5-22-2014 10-32-40 AM.jpg
    5-22-2014 10-32-40 AM.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 29

whodat

The red paint has come off my repops as well. So I'll be looking for that nail polish too.